Racial Tensions in US 2020

Or one could blame Stokely Carmichael and save a lot of trees. /s

I’m going to go to s demonstration tomorrow. See if I can bring footage.

1 Like

Leslie Redmond, president of Minneapolis NAACP

“What you’re witnessing in Minnesota is something that’s been a long time coming,” Redmond told CNN affiliate WCCO-TV.

“I can’t tell you how many governors I’ve sat down with, how many mayors we’ve sat down with. And we’ve warned them that if you keep murdering black people, the city will burn. We have stopped the city from burning numerous times, and we are not responsible for it burning now.”

Payton Bowdry, 22, of Minneapolis

“We have to advocate for justice, true justice to happen,” Bowdry told CNN.

Bowdry said things getting violent weren’t part of the plan.

“Riots were not part of the protests,” he said. “The looting and rioting wasn’t in George Floyd’s name.”

Alicia Smith, a community organizer

“There are no words in the English language that will convey the despair that I felt watching that man’s life leave his body and him scream out for his mother,” Smith told CNN. “I heard my son saying, ‘Mama, save me.’”

“My kids are little boys, and my son asked me, ‘Am I going to live to be a grown-up?’” she told CNN. “I’ve got to ruin his innocence and tell him how to exist as a young black boy in this country.”

Shanene Herbert, community organizer

“They (young people) have experienced trauma,” she told CNN. “Seeing your friends, your families and even yourself harassed by the police and killed by the police, it’s traumatic. And they don’t know what to do with that.”

I felt the same. If they want to take out their anger on police stations that makes sense. Not my style but I get it. Burning random businesses, Target, various restaurants… that is just going to turn support away from the cause.

As far as that cop, they need to throw the key away.

4 Likes

I understand the sentiment but how can legislation change hearts and mentalities?

The full context

4 Likes

That’s why it’s not enough to just prosecute this policeman. Get the whole lot this time - superiors, police academy coaches, their supervisors, people writing the police handbook. Drag them all into court and make them answer for the crime since they’re all guilty.

The entire police system needs to be arraigned for real change to happen.

2 Likes

@Terry_B FYI

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1266400635429310466?s=20

2 Likes

Gosh darn listening to Obama is so refreshing.

Good Lord.

2 Likes

Chickens come home to roost. After promoting middle class Antifa types for years…

I just got off the phone with my brother in Mpls. He lives very near all of this and said last night was pretty real, but mostly the community is supportive with the protestors and they are upset about the rioting but also see the reason for it; people are more upset with the police right now than the rioters. The city has been seething since the Philando Castle case.

Changing mentalities starts with a return to some standards of truth and journalism. I don’t know how that gets accomplished.

1 Like

It’s BLM and Antifa and opportunist street gangs.

1 Like
1 Like

And Epstein killed himself.

2 Likes

Better than his standard response to school shootings. Note that he doesn’t really say anything in all that though.

I feel that Trump and Obama could write a hell of a speech together. The latter would be focused on the one, actionable point that he wants to take and the latter could gloss over the accusations of murder by political commentators and the like. Actually, for years I’ve thought that the US could stand to have somebody like Obama/Trudeau who works the cameras and smiles and gives speeches and somebody like Trump/LBJ who works behind the scenes and threatens to beat people up if they don’t get things done.

Why did that other thread get locked?

On CNN just now—a protester that was arrested was asked as he was being taken away by cops ‘what do you want’?

His answer was very reasoned–we want better cops. The cops have to do better.

1 Like

I’m not particularly a fan of Obama for many things and I won’t go into here but yes one of his trademarks is saying something that means nothing. It’s like he’s acknowledging the elephant but from a different room. Cie la vie.

As for your second part …errr I’ll pass on that. Trump should have remained a real estate mogul and called it a day. I really don’t think he has any place I’m government. But here we are.