Racism discussion

Because if you can claim that a whole society/culture is racist and must feel guilty for it, you score more points on the moral hierarchy of post modernist thought.
As long as it’s a majority white society/culture, of course, otherwise it would be absolutely verboten to even utter such words.

3 Likes

Agreed, but it is still very prevalent in many places.

I’m not interested in arguing which dictionary is better. Xenophobia and racism are different. It’s a fact.

That just means other Taiwanese are racist.

Is this question for real? Have you not heard of the zillions cases of unarmed black people being shot by cops in America? Or the socio-economic disparity?

Not it is not. It’s referring to foreigners who have different physical traits.

So systematic racism occurs because of the institutional racism in the US police force against black people. I dont disagree. But that does nothing to bolster your claim that only non-whites can ever deal with racism. In fact, its completely irrelevant.

Not in popular parlance. As discussed here many times “老外” refers to old whitey. Same in Korea

Yet again… you guys basically agree and are just talking in circles…

Yes, waiguoren usually refers to white people. It also usually refers to foreigners who have different physical traits… aka… white people.

I have heard some Taiwanese use waiguoren to refer to black people, but more often, they use heiren.

Bairen is much less common to refer to white people (except when it’s my wife trying to grind my gears).

So overall yeah, like it or not, waiguoren means “white people” to most Taiwanese/Chinese. Case in point, Chinese students in restaurants in American college towns blabbing in Chinese about waiguoren this, waiguoren that. Strictly speaking, they are the waiguoren in that situation but it goes whoooosh right over the head, because to them waiguoren means “white people.”

3 Likes

Why the hell am I posting in a thread called “Racism discussion.” I need better hobbies.

1 Like

Don’t you enjoy the mental gymnastics that some people can showoff ? It’s an endless source of entertainment, who needs Netflix?

And we still haven’t started to talk about the patriarchy!!1 This can only get better*!

• = more retarded

You are just repeating the thing I have said though.

We are not talking in circles at all.

I found your opinion extremely racist.

“White people aren’t subjected to racism” because no other races would, according to you, never be able to think that their race “are better” than white. At the limit, they can have xenophobia as they think they are different from white, but how dare they to think they can be superior to white!!

3 Likes

I think Gain is referring to systemic racism. However, Gain is incorrect because there is clear institutionalised racism against people who are regarded as having white skin in countries such as Zimbabwe and South Africa.

2 Likes

Of course racism isn’t necessarily linked to a system, but it can be. If the legal system is unfairly bias against a group in society then that is an example of systemic racism (assuming the group in question are defined as a different ‘race’ by whatever criteria).

1 Like

Yeah, no kidding.

And they just passed a law allowing confiscation of white owned farms with no compensation.

1 Like

Zuma’s opinions aren’t an example of systemic racism, although they come closer to being as he was in a position of power.

The laws about confiscation of lands based on the perceived ‘race’ of the current owner definitely are.

Isn’t it incredible that they saw what happened to Zimbabwe and are going the exact same route?

My view is that even in a deliberately fucked-up economy a small number of otherwise useless people get rich. In this case it will be a small number of rich Marxists. In fact, useless people are more likely to get rich in a fucked-up economy which is why they deliberately create such a situation.

3 Likes

Yes and genius Gain seems to not realise white looking people can be racist to other white looking people cos, gosh, white people aren’t all the same ‘race’ whatever that is.

Xenophobia becomes racism when physical characteristics are the basis for judging someone as an “outsider”. For many Taiwanese it’s all about being “Chinese” or not.

2 Likes

It always makes me laugh that those on the extreme right and the extreme left both believe that “white” is a race.

1 Like

Sadly, I had to study this Post-Modern nonsense for both the end of my undergraduate degree and as 2 full methodology courses for my Master’s degree. Painful to say the least. The issue that I see is that the academics use terminology that is purposefully obtuse, and when it comes down “to the masses” it often becomes muddled. And when it comes to Foucault, Said, and the gang ( not to mention the feminist academic crew), when reading their original works, they are most definitely not easy to understand.

All that being said, the whole thing is about power, and the networks (often called systems/ systemic) that support this power. Those that are negatively affected by that power are often called “subaltern” in these cases.

The problem when these ideas get simplified, it becomes ultimatum type overarching statements, such as " white people don’t experience racism". There are levels of these networks of power. Anyone who has lived in Asia, as a foreigner, has experienced being dismissed ( in whatever situation) due to being a foreigner. Whether this has to with “racism” or “xenophobia” is really beside the point. It is about a network of power applied differently based on someone else’s ( in a position of power within that network/structure) application of that power towards an individual who has been placed into a subaltern/other category. Whether the other is classified as foreigner, white, or otherwise doesn’t really matter in the end effect.

However, in the United States, it is a different network of power, where there are many issues with people of color being discriminated against. There is an entire history and structure of power that supports that. Go to Canada, and it is not really the same. It exists, but the history/structure is not the same ( however, that can not be said of the history with Indigenous Peoples in Canada).

Ultimately, these are complex issues that require thought as to what level of power, in what structure, and in what direction power is applied. It is really not so simple.

3 Likes

My old man’s WASP mutt parents never accepted my full blooded Hungo mom.
I get racism. I’ve lived in it, perpetuated it but then I grew up. I grew up in a fairly homogeneous white city where “black dudes stole our women, asian kids took all the scholarships, Ukrainians were morons, Poles were backward and Indians lived off the welfare teet”. The thing I find laughable here is that Taiwanese whinge about losing friends on one hand and brag about treating people from their prospective allies like trash.

Caucasian, aka white people, is a race. What you’re talking about is ethnicity. There’s a difference.