Racism?

Yup, I guess. Cool.

[quote=“kaiwen338”]I’ve noticed a few things so far… in my humble narrow opinion.

In the local population, lighter skin is favorable, especially among women. You will see women holding umbrellas, wearing large hats, and adding temporary sleeves (long gloves) to their cute outfits if the sun is out. In general, men here like light-skinned females. I also notice that those in service jobs tend to have darker skin.

In terms of foreigners, Filipinos seem to get the worst treatment.

[/quote]

Lighter skin is preferred. That is true. I hear my mom and cousins comment on photos where someone is lighter skin and say its prettier… Also i see some of my female cousins wearing long gloves/sleeves.

Philipinos, indonesians, thais and viets are looked down. Not just because of darker skin. But because the maids (service) and some lower workers are normally imported from these countries.

Thanks for your responses everyone. I will still def. go for a visit. I just didnt want to travel and have absolutely no idea what to expect on this matter.

Ever see any ghettos with immigrants from third world countries in Taiwan? No.

And you never will. This is Han country and Han it will stay.

They even make destinctions amongst the Chinese ie: He’s a Hakka, She’s a WaiShenRen etc.

They barely tolerate foreign brides from third world countries here. Give them a few thousand muslim immigrants from the western part of China then see what would happen.

I’m with the general opinion that everyone is a racist no matter who you are.

The Taiwanese are no more or less racist than the the rest of us.

Then Sir, I think you should keep your opinion to yourself

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]

They even make destinctions amongst the Chinese ie: He’s a Hakka, She’s a waishengren etc.[/quote]

At some point, they’re going to have to do immigration here, be it from China or from somewhere else (my guess is we’re going to see more and more mixed marriages with Vietnamese and other southeast Asians) because no one is having kids anymore. Taiwan has one of the lowest fertility rates on the planet, which means it simply won’t have the tax base to support its services and general standard of living unless it changes that or embraces immigration (or unless it increases taxes dramatically). Big changes are on the horizon.

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”][quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]

They even make destinctions amongst the Chinese ie: He’s a Hakka, She’s a waishengren etc.[/quote]

At some point, they’re going to have to do immigration here, be it from China or from somewhere else (my guess is we’re going to see more and more mixed marriages with Vietnamese and other southeast Asians) because no one is having kids anymore. Taiwan has one of the lowest fertility rates on the planet, which means it simply won’t have the tax base to support its services and general standard of living unless it changes that or embraces immigration (or unless it increases taxes dramatically). Big changes are on the horizon.[/quote]

It’s worse than you think: It might also lose its status as the second most densely populated country on the planet as well. How ever will we be able to keep ruining the environment and cramming entire families into tiny spaces with fewer people? Don’t bother improving infrastructure for a longer lifespan or anything; just have more babies, people! Come on, snap to it! You think Bangladeshis are just sitting around, comfortable in their lead on the population density game? Well, think again!

Poagao: I’m not saying Taiwan shouldn’t work on improving the environment and the infrastructure they have here. What I’m saying is that without the tax base (by fertility levels, I’m talking about Taiwan not even reaching replacement levels, not increasing the population), those things certainly won’t be done because they won’t be able to afford what they currently have.

I’m not sure about fertility per se, but I have heard that more women are getting married later or not at all since the increase in high-tech work and the constant drive for monetary success.

kaiwen: We may not be using the same definition of fertility. I’m talking about the number of births per adult female. This is decreasing. Replacement levels are something like 2.1. Taiwan’s current rate is something like 1.3. There may be many reasons for it, but the point is that it’s happening, and coupled with people living longer, it’s going to put a major drain on the public purse in the future. It’s something that is happening all over the developed world, but it’s especially accute here.

GuyInTaiwan, you are making good sense and I agree.

A Saudi guy in my class in England told me yesterday about some of the shit he gets from English people. I was fucking disgusted at the behaviours he described. You will never face any shit like that in Taiwan. You will face a mindless low level ignorance about the correct nomenclature to use when you are talked about, but that will be it. None of the shit I heard about yesterday that takes place in England will ever happen to you in Taiwan.

If you get drunk and act like a prick in Taiwan then you can expect a brutal near death experience, but day to day, just expect dumbass stuff where they just dont know how to assimilate you properly.

Nobody appreciates just how difficult it is to be a white, heterosexual, middle class male. If I fuck up (and I often do) I have nobody to blame but myself. The pressure that puts on a guy.

Ach, don’t be too sure about that. Always here to lend a hand!

There seems to be some general categories of racism in Taiwan.

1. The We Are Racists Because We Are Ignorant: These are the ones who’s only contact with the external world is via the prism of Taiwan cable news. They are genuinely curiously and while not ill intentioned, have no clue that what they just asked you is highly insulting. Generally harmless, but can be annoying. Best smiled at and left to their ignorance. You will not be able to penetrate their vortex of ignorance. Don’t be fooled even if they nod back and say, “oh, oh,…I didn’t realize :blah: not all foreigners take drugs”.

2. We Are Racists Because We Hate Foreigners: These are often ones who’ve taken on board some perverted nationalistic version of history and have a high sense of Chinese victimology. At some point in the conversation something will come out about how Taiwanese treat foreigners better than locals. Do not engage unless you want to re-fight the opium war and Yuan Shi-Kai’s 21 points.

3. The Taiwanese version of above. Trade opium war & YSK’s 21 points for: a) US support of CKS b)Mishandling of cross-straights issues. Do not engage unless you can spit binlang juice

Gladly, these are generally the exceptions. Most time your race will be commented on as it is what you are, not who you are, just as people will comment on how one is hairy, chubby, sweats, big nose, big feet…etc… Once people get to know you are, and decide you are a friend, they tend not to care what others think. Friendships in general are more committed, once entered into, in Taiwan.

Many

I’m glad to be reading this, as it is very useful for me.

I do have to ask, I’m going to be in Hsinchu, how are the elders in the local villages? Is it best to just avoid them or are there some enlightened types like the younger generation?

Here was me thinking you look like your avatar.

I once showed a picture of Venus Williams to my kids. Her achievements were unimportant. The kids, in unison, all screamed “UUGULEEE!” . The following day I presented a picture of Serena Williams for their perusal. The response was unanimous. “VEERY UUGULEE!”.
I found that strange. I would much rather have sex with Serena than Venus, despite her alluring name.

Not sure how old qualifies as an elder, but most “elders” I encounter are sitting around bored stiff in their tank tops and they stare at me as if smelling a fart for the first time. They know something is there, but they’re not sure what it is.

If you spend enough time in public, nice people will say hello to you and often some stranger will step in to explain a situation in English.

Here was me thinking you look like your avatar.[/quote]

The avatar is the inner me…a cranky old man with command and control issues.

If you imagine him much younger, chubby, hairy and sweating, that is the real me. FM. Manekshaw already has a big nose.