Railways - Chu Kuang Express | Why is everyone taking pictures of this train?

So I’m on chu kuang express 521 from Qidu to Taipei, and there are hundreds of people on the train taking photos, like professional photographers. Even outside it’s being recorded. It’s quite an old train so maybe it’s being decommissioned? I know we could ask someone on the train but ya know, I’m shy :relaxed:

Anyone seen anything in the news?

2 Likes

This should be your KTV song. Is your hair long enough to match, too?

1 Like

Plot twist: They’re taking pics of you.

3 Likes

鐵道迷快衝!手動摺疊門莒光號今退役 最終停靠站、時間看這篇|蘋果新聞網|蘋果日報 Last ride ever. That’s an historic ride.

2 Likes

It’s being decommissioned. The old train’s folding doors can be opened manually and are therefore unsafe. The new trains will have electric sliding doors.

6 Likes

I’ve done this before on old Southern Link local train, lots of rail fans. Last few days train was packed, normally less than 50 people would ride two carriage train, last few weekends was 5X more .

My experience

6 Likes

Someone on the train just told me. You guys are right. Last train ever with the folding doors :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow. So lucky to be there to witness such a historic event. Everyone getting pictures is so lucky. Such a riveting tale to tell to the grandkids one day. :older_man:

3 Likes

Kudos to TRA for upgrading their equipment and—one hopes—simplifying their byzantine naming and pricing schemes.

FUHSING is gone.

When will CHUKUANG follow?

Guy

2 Likes

The sarcasm is strong in this one.

1 Like

And: when will TZECHIANG simply be called “Express”?

Guy

1 Like

Hopefully never. I like efficiency as much as the next person but I also like character too. The Tzechiang Express I think would be better.

2 Likes

That’s one of the old smoking trains. The first time i came to Taiwan, traveling to fulong or Hualien you could open the doors, sit on the steps and watch the countryside go by. Many folks would smoke cigarettes out those doors. Nobody cared. A different time.

6 Likes

yes indeed thems was different times. I remember taking the Limited Express with slide up windows and no A/C all night long to Ktown to catch the bus (and then no chicken buses only the govt run bus) And trying to sleep by putting down the table in the seat in front and putting your heads down on it. The bright flourescent lights makes things hard though and you can smell the diesel from the engine if you sit in one of the front cars. Think it was 218nt (the wild chicken bus to ktown was 100nt and that I did once, never again a ten hour ordeal with the two drivers taking turns to drive like hell before there was the freeway. The road to kenting was a two lane (today 4) and it was an adventure being half asleep from the all niter train, class mate and i had our backpacks and i thought this must be what it must be like to travel to tierra del fuego (probably NOTHING like it). Travelling to the southern tip of the island (the island FELT bigger then) to see where the ships can sail right across the last bit of taiwan.

Interesting times indeed.

3 Likes

The tram was extended in Kaohsiung also lots of people taking photos at the new stations.

4 Likes