Rain, Rain , Go away! Chances?

Hello everyone,

As my trip to Taipei approaches March 24th I have been monitoring the weather there and im really disappointed that its non stop rain the past couple of weeks there. Is it possible the rain will let up by march 24th? What are my chances? How do locals enjoy night markets in pouring rain? Thanks for the help!

With umbrellas?

hahah very funny :slight_smile: but i hate holding an umbrella while trying to enjoy something…its an annoyance. but thanks :slight_smile:

But seriously. It’s spring. It rains a lot in spring. Might be OK, but chances are, there’ll be some rain. Taiwan’s lovely in the rain - cooler, fresher, less smelly, mist on the mountains. Lovely. Don’t worry about it.

Thanks! I am in San Francisco and its raining and I absolutely hate it. I want hot weather!! I miss the texas heat. Might take a few trips down to Kaohsiung while im in Taiwan haha :slight_smile:

I’ve been following the weather too and I’ll probably get even more rain since I get there March 10th. But what the hell, I’m used to it. At least it’s not in the 30s-40s in Taiwan. Warm weather rain is much nicer.

[quote=“freethinker83”]Hello everyone,

As my trip to Taipei approaches March 24th I have been monitoring the weather there and im really disappointed that its non stop rain the past couple of weeks there. Is it possible the rain will let up by march 24th? What are my chances? How do locals enjoy night markets in pouring rain? Thanks for the help![/quote]

What Rain?

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“freethinker83”]Hello everyone,

As my trip to Taipei approaches March 24th I have been monitoring the weather there and im really disappointed that its non stop rain the past couple of weeks there. Is it possible the rain will let up by march 24th? What are my chances? How do locals enjoy night markets in pouring rain? Thanks for the help![/quote]

What Rain?[/quote]

are you jesting? weather reports show its been raining for two weeks straight. Is it correct on yahoo weather?

I’m in Taipei and I have used my umbrella once for 10 minutes in the last two weeks.

Wow this is great news. Yahoo weather always sucks on my damn iphone!! it never reflects accurately here either so I should have known ! I am glad this forum exists for this reason haha thanks

The weather bureau is predicting more and heavier rains this year because of El Nino.
Here is the forecast page.
cwb.gov.tw/eng/index.htm

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]The weather bureau is predicting more and heavier rains this year because of El Nino.
Here is the forecast page.
cwb.gov.tw/eng/index.htm[/quote]

Thanks for the link! I am guessing their predictions have been wrong for the past two weeks then. But its only a 30 percent chance of rain which may explain why none of the Taipei residents had to use an umbrella past two weeks.

When it rains, it rarely rains all day. Two days ago it was raining a little in the morning and I didn’t take an umbrella, and after work it was clear as a bell.

I’ve been misled by the yahoo WX too. Rain or shine I’m not worried about it though. Cold is the only thing I don’t like and the temps in Taiwan are scorching compared to what I’m used to.

freethinker, I would just bring a good light rain jacket and you’ll be fine.

Thanks so much for the info! I am really excited about this trip so I am hoping to be able to freely walk around a night market without my pants sogging wet and an umbrella in hand (Fingers crossed) haha :pray:

[quote=“drifter”]I’ve been misled by the yahoo WX too. Rain or shine I’m not worried about it though. Cold is the only thing I don’t like and the temps in Taiwan are scorching compared to what I’m used to.

freethinker, I would just bring a good light rain jacket and you’ll be fine.[/quote]

this also good to know Drifter! I agree. i love warm weather and tired of the COLD freezing rains here in SF! So I think no matter what, Taipei’s weather will be a warm welcome haha

If you plan on doing a lot of walking or some hiking then bring some light rain pants too, although for me I’ll probably get too hot in them.

I will definitely be doing lots of walking.not much of a hiker though. Will stick to night markets shopping malls and clubs etc haha But I will be taking a trip to Taroko Gorge! Also to Tainan and Kaohsiung!

Nice, I plan on going to Taroko too. I’ll be in Taiwan until April 7th although I don’t have any real idea where i’ll be most days except I’m doing a Yushan hike the 23/24th, if I get a park pass. Maybe we can meet up sometime before I leave.

hey that would be great…your location now says UT …is that UT Austin? I am from san antonio texas myself :slight_smile: Feel free to pm me ! would not mind meeting up