Rankings (User titles based on the number of posts)

I’m a strong advocate of the ‘create your own title’. Do you think my avatar and title are a match made in heaven?

I am slowly (like a glacier) overhauling the titles according to the number of posts people make. They should be at least different and something new for a change.
Any ideas?

I second that - as I write this post I have no idea what my title is. It’s meaningless. However, it would be fun to think up my own title. I suggest making it quite expensive to buy with guanxi and a fee for changing the title.

Perhaps instead of titles there could be a colour code to denote ‘seniority’ with regard to number of posts. It could be a color frame around one’s avatar for example. You would start off without a frame then you’d get a yellow one, for example, after 100 posts, and then moving through different colors every 200 posts or so. Let’s not have so many levels - it keeps things simpler. If someone chooses not to have an avatar the frame could be left there in the space with nothing in the middle.

Just thinking out loud - colours are more recognizable than titles like ‘betelnut chewer’ etc.

Pointless!? I love the titles. That we can make and buy our own. And i fully support adding more and/or revising to the list.

Here are some:
Taiwan Beer Girl
Talkative Taxi Driver
Wood Carver’s Apprentice
Sausage Vendor
Aimless Pedestrian
Hong Bao Pirate
Wishbih Brew Master
Bushiban Dropout
Copycat Kid
Sun-Moon Lake Monster
Ali Shan Park Ranger
Legislative Yuan Brawler
Alienated Adogah
Taofang Hermit
KTV Clearing Vocalist
Pinyin Pundit
250/hr. English Teacher
Tool Booth Operator

I never liked those titles. There’s way too many for them to mean anything. There should be about 6 at most I reckon. I also can’t understand why people shouldn’t be able to choose their own for a price. That was much more fun when that was allowed.

Like someone said, I have no idea what my current title (or anyone’s) is.

Brian

It is right under your user name.
I think that buying your own title is an idea worth considering, but it would depend on the technical feasibility.
The titles, once you get past the first few, are not really a reflection of rank. Basically, as I see it, they are for fun.
I have been trying to organize them to reflect that at some point, having huge number of posts begin to come under the law of diminishing returns…then you enter a kind of mystical relm.

As far as I recall, this is the fixed designation given by moderators to certain posters. Formosa, as you may recall, is “Village Idiot.”
I am working on these too.
As far as the [color=red]c[/color][color=darkred]o[/color][color=darkblue]l[/color][color=green]o[/color][color=brown]r[/color][color=blue]s[/color], it seems to me to be uneccessary. The numbers are enough, along with the titles.

What I am interested in is titles for posters with 2,000, 3,000, 4,000 or more. What godlike, or moronic status could they have?

(And thanks for the feedback so far.)

[quote]I don’t think anyone pays them any attention. ‘Wow, I’ve made it to crazed Bus Driver’ - I doubt it. [/quote]I used to for my first few hundred posts, but not any more. Maybe little things please little minds ? Maybe have people rise quickly through the ranks at the start for an incentive, then space them out a bit. There is too many to remember which ones are supposed to be higher. Something like 10,50,100,200,500,1000…

Yes, if we had fewer titles it might be more meaningful, or it would be even less interesting since they would not change as often.
Anyway, my question was not should we have them, but rather what would people like to offer as suggestions.
As I said, in the end, it is just for fun. But I will consult with the Oracle on these comments.
I still want to hear about titles for those over-the-top posters who will break five figures by the end of the year.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”][quote]Quote:
I have no idea what my current title (or anyone’s) is.

It is right under your user name. [/quote]

I meant that they are so meaningless, that I can’t remember what my title is. I don’t think anyone pays them any attention. ‘Wow, I’ve made it to crazed Bus Driver’ - I doubt it. If you had less, they’d be more meaningful…

Brian[/quote]

I like them and I eagerly watch for the change. I’ve just become an “Undercover Military Guard”. Its just a silly gimmick, but tit has its charm. No meaning necessary.

Chou

No charm for me. It’s just a pointless apellation until I get to choose it myself. But I already get to choose my own signature and avatar, and have run out of witty ideas - if I ever had any!

I say have a simple rankings system as some have already suggested, but with the option to have the title of your choice for a monthly fee.

I think ‘newbie’ is a good first title.

Anybody with more than 2000 can be an oldie.

In the yet-to-be approved new list of titles, at 2,000 posts
you become “Immune to Breathalizers.”
:smiley:

I thought titles were automatically given based on the number of posts. If not, why does mine say “English Teacher with Headband”? Also I’m curious, what does “English Teacher with Headband” mean? The joke has flown right over my head.

Hey, I’m an English teacher with a headband. Actually, they are based on your number of posts. Right now, at 191, you are nine away from your next title. Personally, I cannot explain what they mean nor tell you which ones go with what number of posts. Wolf_reinhold? Isn’t this your department?

Where was that other thread about these titles?

Saw another one of those quick one-off titles just now - AWOL had 667 posts and was the Neighbour Of The Beast.
also…
444 - Ack! I’m cursed!

What others are there? Does 5566 liken you to fly-by-night boy-band/talk-show/BMX-bike-riding manufactured pop stars? I seem to remember a couple just before different thousands - 999, 1999, etc. or maybe that was a warm, fuzzy dream I was having.

<-<-<-<-< Sorry to change the subject, but to your left above the Buddha head it says Cai Niao. What does that mean? Vegetable bird, what is that?

As you may know, I am trying to keep up with avatars that match my posting title. I am wondering if there could be a list of all the titles and the relevant amount of posts to earn them put up on, oh say, this thread? I’m sure some people might be interested in seeing when their next change will be or how long until they are “zhen zhu slurpers” or “chicken bus drivers”.

[quote=“Loretta”]I think ‘newbie’ is a good first title.

Anybody with more than 2000 can be an oldie.[/quote]

Which makes you an oldie now, I assume…

OK, any updates to the system, any new titles coming up?

Dammit…if I had known, I would have created a better avatar for my new title than just ripping off the one of Michael Jordan’s…ahem, “appearance” in Taiwan last year. Of course, it is a fitting picture of an overpaid foreign athlete, especially in light of how he behaved when he came to Taiwan last year.

I like the newest one. Wonder who thought it up? :slight_smile:

[quote]
I’m posting like Shakespeare (1564