Rant

So your the boss, sitting there one day and a teacher tells you
“I’m not writning anymore lesson plans”
What do you say?

It’s in thier job description.
He has never written a decent lesson plan in the fisrt place.
Nobody has ever gotten off by making demands.
When you tell him that he only needs to write two a week,
he say “Fuck that!” and walks away".

What do you say?

SKI

Say nothing, give him a pink slip. Tell him you will tell all the other schools in the area that he is a lazy SOB in short: Fire his ass…

Outside of TEFL courses, how many ecperienced teachers really need to write lesson plans? It sounds like an employee with a bad attitude, but if experienced teachers are being required to write lesson plans, then the anger could be justified. Or maybe you mean lesson objectives?

If that is what is stated in the contract or job description then they gotta do it. If not they are in breach of contract and they get canned. Simple enough.

Oh, sure, I don’t dispute that. But if you had a damned good teacher who was hacked off by such a stupid rule, I’m sure you’d turn a blind eye.

Lessons plans are for beginners. If the school has a syllabus - and IMHO, I’ll hazard that 90% of them here don’t - then lesson plans are doubly redundant. Syllabuses in most Taiwan cram schools are either left entirely up to teachers by lazy and often ignorant management, or are the “you teach this chapter in this class, and the next chapter in the next class, etc” type of “syllabus”.

A book is not a syllabus. Oh, bugger, waaaaay off topic!

Sounds like your guy has been nursing a grievance for a while, but hasn’t done the smart - constructive - thing, which is to talk about it.

There is no shortage of teachers out there at the moment. I’ve ranted aplenty about the poor quality of the majority, but there are more than enough very good ones to find a replacement for your guy. I would find one ASAP, then give your guy one chance to justify his beef and get over it.

Call him in, at a time of your convenience, for a discussion. If he doesn’t shape up during the course of that session then tell him you don’t want to see him again until he comes in on the scheduled day to pick up his money. If the guy can’t be bothered to deal with you reasonably then he’s not entitled to anything more.

I’ve had issues with employers in the past, and it may be that he does have some legitimate gripe. But things don’t change if you’re not willing to deal with issues. ‘Fuck that’ is not dealing with a problem, it’s causing more problems. He either discusses like an adult, or he fucks off at your convenience.

The alternative is for him to walk when it suits him, because you can bet your bottom dollar he’s looking for another job right now.

NOt a great teacher!
Has an Ed degree from his home country.
This is his first teaching job.

Before someone get special treatment they need to put the time in.

Unfortunatly…the pink slip isn’t an option yet. Hmmm.

SKi

Fire him…plain and simple. You asked him to do something that your school requires and it is something that he was aware of when he signed up. Fire him…

Time to sit him down and have a non-confrontational chat about the problem.
If he’s still all bad attitude and defiance then you know what to do.

Why on Earth not? Guy can’t keep to the agreement under which you hired him, and he’s quickly replaceable, then I see no reason to keep him. He’s in breach, he’s trouble, so why tolerate him in the building?

Bad attitudes lead to bad atmospheres. People with bad attitudes affect everyone they come in contact with - you, the students, and everyone else working there. Give him his chance to put things right, and shoot him if he blows it. You can’t have him on the premises if he’s going to be bitching and hating his job.

Then how do the other teachers or in fact the parents know what he has taught?
Part of the reason for lesson planning is that other departments can evaluate the work done and so that parents can be informed of lessons taught.
This teacher sounds like a lazy arse and I would fire them. If they are that good then they wouldn’t mind filling out the lesson plan. I am sure they are not capable of remembering all of the material they have taught over an entire semester unless they have only taught a book word for word in which case they are’nt a good teacher. Get another one. There are still alot at the moment if you are willing to pay for one.

[quote]“I’m not writning anymore lesson plans”
What do you say?[/quote]
“Messrs. Smith and Wesson says you is.”

I’ve heard the teaching world is a cutthroat one, but I’d no idea things were that hairy!

Then how do the other teachers or in fact the parents know what he has taught?
Part of the reason for lesson planning is that other departments can evaluate the work done and so that parents can be informed of lessons taught.
This teacher sounds like a lazy arse and I would fire them. If they are that good then they wouldn’t mind filling out the lesson plan. I am sure they are not capable of remembering all of the material they have taught over an entire semester unless they have only taught a book word for word in which case they are’nt a good teacher. Get another one. There are still alot at the moment if you are willing to pay for one.[/quote]
It seems to me that you’re confusing a lesson plan with a lesson record. Experienced teachers rarely write detailed lesson plans; they’ll put the time to better use designing/adapting materials, activities and assignments to fit their students’ needs. If the teacher is competent, the only thing the school needs to know is generally what material was covered and what homework was given; they don’t need to know the details of every activity or assignment. For looking forward, they just need to know the objectives for each lesson.

However, a new teacher, no matter how qualified or experienced, should be ready to show some lesson plans to his or her boss. If I were a head teacher or boss, I would want to know whether or not that teacher has thought through how he or she is going to execute the lesson. If he can’t put it down on paper, then he probably won’t be able to conduct a good lesson. Once he proves that he can plan and execute, then I would let him slide on filling out lesson plans. It sounds like Ski’s guy will suck with or without a lesson plan. The only thing to fill out is a pink slip.

I’d love to…but rules are rules here. So it won’t be ha;pening soon.

I’m not very concerned about the lesson plans. I more disgruntaled with the attitude that he gives out.

THe other day he is in the hallway playing vollyball with a nother teacher. Right in front of a large group of parents. Fun and games are fine but anyone with half a brain could figure out.
“Hey parents! Let’s act professional”. :s
But nope. This one can’t.
Then when he is told to put the ball away…
“That’s shit” right in front of some students.
:noway:
Daft, Daft, Daft… :bluemad:

I could go on for hours about this one.

SA, Ed degree, never had a real job before, just want’s to get drunk and laid, might be looking for a job soon. Don’t hire!!

Oh, dear. That kind of behaviour and attitude should have been detected in a good interview. Why was he hired in the first place? Paying peanuts and giving it to a (drunk) monkey?

That sounds exactly like this guy who worked at this school I know. He didn’t want to write any lesson plans, either. So they fired him and gave the job to me. :sunglasses:

There’s no shortage of teachers. Fire his ass.

Are you saying that you have management responsibility but not the power to fire someone?

I dont agree with this statement at all. My mother has been a primary school teacher for 30 years, and is still required to turn in lesson plans. At her age they are more of a lesson outline, but I know she still writes them.

The point of a lesson plan is to prepare THE TEACHER for the lesson. No lesson plan = winging it. I write a lesson plan for every lesson I teach. Nothing detailed like '8:04 take out pencils". But whilst I am writing that plan I can think about the content of the lesson, the nature of the students, previous work covered, resources I require etc. A good lesson plan would also give the teacher some flexibility if some hitch should occur, i.e. activities which overrun, activities the students arent enjoying and need to be cut short.

SKI:
There are a shed load of ‘teachers’ here. The word teacher is loosly translated to english speaker. But I doubt many of them have experience teaching in their own country let alone anywhere else. You could simply fire the ones who wont do what you ask, and promote the ones who will. Either that or do some proper management of your staff, and train that feral git how to do his/ her job to your standards. No lesson plan = no money = fuck off.

You wrote: Right in front of a large group of parents. Fun and games are fine but anyone with half a brain could figure out.

Set guidelines. Is it ok to play volleyball in your school when there are no parents around? Are you mad? If so, how can you expect that teacher to know that you dont like volleyball to be played when the parents are around. He may feel he is promoting a ‘friendly’ environment. Unless you have emplyed ‘hell-boy’ i suggest that you too are partly to blame. Its no good shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. Manage your staff ski, as you are the manager. My manager doesnt support me very well, and I have to constantly remind him of things that need doing, i.e. buying resources for displays etc, but he will suddenly request that each child make a c.d. to give their mother etc with little warning. It hacks me off, and makes me feel more inclined to do a half assed job. I wouldnt, but thats just me. Your afrikaans boy is running wild and you are bitching about it. Get the picture? Do your job more effectively, and maybe he will do the same.

Whooa!! THere buddy!! Individuals sometimes spoil the pot. We have a large managment team over 4 supervisiors and 4 directors involved in the everyday running of the school. 26 out of 27 teachers have no problems.

“Set guidelines. Is it ok to play volleyball in your school when there are no parents around?”

Are you mad? What do you think? Even the other teachers told him to put it away.

BTW when told to put it away what was the resonse? Thats shit!!!

“Your afrikaans boy is running wild and you are bitching about it. Get the picture? Do your job more effectively, and maybe he will do the same.”

Have you ever managed before?

Like I said 26 of 27 teachers are doing their jobs. It only take one dumb ass to spoil it.

And no I can not fire him. It’s the principal’s final descision. Then we must follow the procedures set out in the contract.

ski

I don’t agree with this statement at all. My mother has been a primary school teacher for 30 years, and is still required to turn in lesson plans. At her age they are more of a lesson outline, but I know she still writes them.[/quote]

She’s doing it because she’s required to. I think most teachers sketch a brief outline on paper or in their head. Entirely appropriate. But, I agree those minute-by-minute lesson schedules are ridiculous for practising professionals. Perhaps we need to see the requirement as mentioned, which began this topic.