Rat Issues

Any advice on what to do if you’ve seen a rat (and have subsequently found evidence that there is a rat infestation near/behind the walls of your apartment)?

Complicating info: we have a cat, but clearly an incompetent bastard cat who can’t even scare a rat away, let alone kill it. So poison etc. is out of the question.

Our landlady has done research to help but said paying to exterminate is our problem - I think it should be shared, as part of the problem is probably the cat food we leave out (making us the first people for whom having a cat has actually attracted rodents) but another issue is the structure of the apartment - wood that can be gnawed through, generally poor construction, there’s even a hole between the top of the kitchen wall and the roof, which is also the ceiling.

Oh, and we’re both too pansy-arse to dispose of rats we would catch ourselves with traps. No way. Not going near that.

Advice or help? Please?

invite the local blue truck diver over for a bbq. DIY catch and grill.

1 Like

You don’t want to trap them or poison them. Your cat is useless, and it’s food attracts the rat(s). :ponder:

Get rid of the cat and/or secure the breaches (ceiling etc), or just leave the critters to go about their business. No other options I can think of…

Stop feeding your cat. Hungry cat will catch and eat rat!!

1 Like

If you don’t want to ACTUALLY do anything about your problem…Pray that the rats to away. Or learn to speak rat. Or move. That will probably solve your problem.

1 Like

Why are you living in a wooden structure with holes near the roof!?

This may be slightly off topic, but I’ve seen so MANY rats lately. Not in my house, thankfully, but all over the streets–just everywhere. There is surely a growing problem.

Argh…not very helpful.

I am willing to trap them, but would want a professional to do it because I can’t bring myself to drown a trapped animal (not that I really care for the rat’s life - it’s just effing gross). I’ve read up on poisoning and it’s really not recommended, as they can die in the walls and create horrible smells.

And NO, I am not going to get rid of my cat. Stupid lazy useless dumb-arse fatbag that he is, I do love him. But he is useless…and not feeding him won’t help. He used to be a stray, and we rescued him; even when starving he couldn’t seem to catch his own food. The only cat behavior he’s skilled in is sleeping by the heater.

I have no qualms about paying someone to come in and do the work, but was hoping for (and didn’t get) real suggestions on how to get rid of rats in a way that’s safe for pets to be around.

PS - it’s not a wooden structure. It’s an old-skool cement building. One wall is built-in wood, because the owners built a shelving system there, right into the wall. They can clearly get behind it. The rest of the building is cement.

I have no idea how to patch the hole between the top of the kitchen wall and the ceiling (also the roof) - it’s in an awkward place. I’d love for it to be patched but at that point I think it’s my landlady’s responsibility to find and pay someone to do it.

You don’t have to drown them. Trap them and relocate them. Simple.

Get some traps. No biggie. If they are the cage type, catch and relocate outside far enough away. If they are the snap shut on neck/head type, problem solved, should be a quick death. Move on. I lived in an old Japanese house for a couple of years in Taipei. Lost track of how many we caught. One even stole my bar of soap one time. I found it half gnawed apart. Nuts.

Why aren’t more cats a solution? You could probably offer to foster a couple for an animal welfare group (I’ve done this in Kaohsiung).

If there is food left for the rat to eat, you’re feeding your cat too much.

Nah, most cats are grazers. Not like dogs, who just scarf it down as quickly as possible.
I agree trying out other cats is a good suggestion. I had a few rats when I was a teenager. I did not buy the animal-lover traps. I bought the kind that kill - those old fashioned mouse traps, except really big. The first rat was almost caught on a shelf above my sink. Flipped the poor bugger off the shelf and into the dishpan, where he (she?) drowned. I tossed the whole thing, dishes and all, into the bush. Next one actually did get caught in the trap. Froze solid overnight behind the fridge. Not so squeamish about Popsicle rats. That was a damn cold winter.
Didn’t encounter one for years until I almost walked over one whilst walking my dogs in Banqiao. It had both forelegs trapped in one of those god- awful leg hold traps. I tell ya, NEVER use one of those. The suffering they cause is horrific. The poor thing was mad with fear, and had both forelegs crushed. I had to drown it, an experience I never, ever hope to repeat.
Incidentally, this was only a few metres from where I rescued jimipresleys cat. Lucky cat never got her legs smashed to smithereens.
So anyway, try another cat ( I have a recommendation for one that just might work), or if you do try a trap, stay away from leg hold traps and make DAMN sure whatever you use is secure away from where your cat can go.

Is drowning a rat such a big deal?

I mean, you dont actually have to watch. If you want to make it quicker (though not necessarily more humane) perhaps use boiling water, which would also address any rat flea hazard?

Having said that I’ve never actually drowned a rat, but I had a research assistant lab job (UK Medical Research Council) where I was required at 2-weekly intervals, to put them in a box with a painfully hot tin floor (makes the veins in thier tails dilate), painful enough to make them fight to get on top of each other, then cut the end of thier tails off and collect the blood. After the first time they knew what was coming and were not very cooperative.

Very badly designed and almost certainly illegal protocol. Should have turned the bastards in but it was my first job out of university and I didn’t dare. At the end of the experiment I had to gas them all with CO2 from dry ice (which also tended to freeze them). I quit before the next series.

I’d suspect if the OP can’t face drowning a rat then he probably can’t face capture and release either. I certainly couldn’t, but I’m afraid of rats now, and cautious of the diseases they carry.

Edit: CO2 is probably too inconvenient. CO, perhaps from a car or scooter exhaust, might be a possibility but may not be all that humane. Chloroform or ether (if available) might also be possibilities but you’d have to be careful not to knock yourself out and/or blow yourself up. If you want I can enquire of some lab supply contacts.

Perhaps, if your cat is fat (hard evidence of overfeeding, I’d say) you could put poison bait inside a steel tube that your cat can’t access, but a rat could. Rats are very good at getting through narrow spaces.

Re cats are grazers, so leftover food isn’t evidence of overfeeding…er…bullshit, at least as a universal generalisation. I had to “look after” a spoilt cat that would “only eat Whiskas”. Surprising how quickly she wolfed down cheapo co-op yellow-can stuff when moderate amounts of that were all that was on offer. There were perhaps a couple of days of resistance, but if the food wasn’t eaten in half an hour it got thrown away. They learn quick.

Also became quite good at “hunting”. I used to leave the window open and a table lamp on and she’d knock big fat moths out of the air one after the other and crunch them down. Entertainment and (probably parasite-free) nutrition.

Its possible your fat cat could be given a similar makeover, but you probably aren’t up for that, and I’d hesitate to encourage a pet to eat rats since there are probably health hazards involved.

Re another cat, you now have a fat spoilt cat, and rats. Mystic Ed predicts, unless you change your cat management protocols, you would then have two fat spoilt cats, and twice as many rats.

An established ratter, that takes pride in its work and isn’t just in it for the meat, might resist spoiling. Cats seem to vary a lot in that respect.

Back home I’d suggest borrowing a Jack Russel, but Taiwanese dogs seem to be all bark and no bite.

Sorry if that sounds racist. :s

We were almost overrun with rats when teh MRT construction started, and I figured out why: the rats are in the sewers, and the MRT people are pumping water into the soil like crazy to set the concrete and dig stuff and such. Plus the vibrations from the drills and pumps and such.

Cats are a deterrent, not cachers really. The bakery around teh corner has a cat for the purpose of scaring the rats. They are suppose dto know not to approach. They are natural enemies.

I wouldn’t blame the cat. Probably, he’s never seen a rat before. It is also not a matter of hunger. No cat should go hungry, it is very dangerous, they develop a condition that kills them if they do not have food within a certain period. So not feeding them is a definete no-no.

More cats should make teh smell of cat more evident and hence keep rats away.

BTW, my 20 year old cat back home still gets her birds, lizards and ocassional squirrel, alas, no more rats since they live now in an area almost devoid of them. Which i a blessing as she like sto bring the trophies into the house…

1. hiring the exterminator isn’t that pricey, your landlord will never agree to it so just move or pay for it yourself.
  2. blame the neighbour, isn’t that the cultural thing to do here?
  3. do as bill murray did years ago in caddyshack.
  4. cook more western food, rats here are racist.

I’m a she not a he (a few people here referred to me as “he”)…and yeah, I am not going to touch a dead OR alive rat, nor am I going to get close enough to pick up a rat in a cage and set it free. I’m terrified of rats. I can kill roaches if I have to, despite really hating them…but not rats. No way. I don’t even want to go near a dead one.

My husband said he’d dispose of dead rats, but there’s no way he’d kill a live one by drowning or other means.

Anyway, Teh Internetz says that the catch-and-release traps are not very effective.

Can’t foster more cats - because 1.) our landlady is barely tolerant of the one we have now, and 2.) eventually we’ll move home or at least move to a new country. It’s going to be difficult enough to relocate with one cat. We’re not going to relocate with more than one! We’d foster but we get attached to cats and dogs and would want to keep it at the end, which we cannot do. We’re here long term but not permanently so one cat is OK, but not a whole coterie.

BTW, we hired an exterminator.

We also started feeding our cat on a “he asks, we give him a small amount of food and put away what he doesn’t eat” basis, which is fine for now but we’ll need a different solution next time we travel. We’ve also bought metal tins to store all non-fridge food, not that we really have any right now.

Our landlady not only agreed to it, she arranged for two companies to come and give estimates (for a job in which they would come and take out the captured rats, dead or alive) and we agreed on the one that will charge $5,000 NT.

They come this Friday. They’ll check the walls, the ceilings etc. for tracks, holes and nests (there is definitely one behind the single wooden wall, and they think probably tracks in the ceiling to where they found a hole with access to the kitchen).

Since they’re going to fix holes and open walls and such, the landlady is going to chip in $2,000 and we’ll pay $3,000. They’ll set and empty traps, close holes, clean out problem areas and if there are any further issues for 6 months they’ll come take care of it for free.

Sounds good to me! We’re both happy to pay $3,000 NT to NOT have to go near a rat, living or dead.

BTW. My husband saw one after I posted this - he thinks they’re mice, not rats. They’re small, “cute” (whatever - I don’t believe this) and have a face shape and tail length more like those of mice.

I didn’t see the thing…he did, so I don’t know what the tail looked like but he said basically “the tail is more like a mouse” so…maybe it’s mice.

I don’t care, I want them GONE.

[quote=“channamasala”]I didn’t see the thing…he did, so I don’t know what the tail looked like but he said basically “the tail is more like a mouse” so…maybe it’s mice.

I don’t care, I want them GONE.[/quote]

Well if you want to proof your home then it makes a difference. They sound like mice which makes it harder. Rat dropping are very different too lol

The most inhumane and effective method is using glue boards. But you would have to see the rats struggling on it and trying to bite their own legs off to escape. Traps will leave a smashed rodent but you will have to see it. Posion is dangerous for the cat. Perhaps get a Jack Russel Terrier or other rat catching terrier. Either way death will be involved. You could try to catch them humanely but I doubt that will work at stopping the house invasions. Try to limit all reasons the mice wish to come into your house such as food sources and heat sources. Also block up any gaps under outside doors and inside doors (gaps around pipes) like you would when trying to keep heat from escaping except with mouse bristle brushes. They usually leave a trail of dropping so you can probably find their entrance and exit routes for proofing them out or killing them! :bow:

Perhaps have a look at this and talk to your landlady. Even if they can gnaw through wood they will go for the easier entrance route such as
http://challenge-services.co.uk/rodentproofing.aspx