Real, 'Murkan breakfast in Banqiao?

It should be getting better with all the Hongkies coming to open restaurants

香港88茶餐廳 吳興創始店唯一授權 I really like this one close to the medical university. The bosses are from Hong Kong and they do great business

1 Like

I think the key word is “should.”

But how many of those HKers coming to Taiwan actually know how to handle a wok or make fried rice properly? This gets handed over to Taiwan staff who produce the usual disappointing wet mess (Fujianese vs Cantonese ways of doing things).

I don’t often make it over to Wuxing Street anymore but I will try to give this recommendation a go. Prove me wrong, HK 88! :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

Also, the main issue is that they “taiwanise” the dishes. They always put the omnipresent cooked cabbage everywhere (not as present in HK), loads of garlic in soup and sauces (not minced, shavings or entire cloves). I understand you need to appease the local market, but geez, it’s like a proper Italian pizzeria run by Italians making Pineapple&ham pizza (a crime against humanity). A decent siumei I tried is near my office, Google Maps The old lady is HKer and very happy if she can still speak some canto with someone. The Chasiu was ok, the siuyok not bad, the soy chicken not the best, but still tasty.

4 Likes

What gets me is the fish/shrimp sauce everywhere. Everywhere. Ugh…

1 Like

Just make it yourself

Dim sum is a culinary art that should be made by professionals. Lots of home style dishes can be learned and made, but typically dim sum is not home food.

Guy

3 Likes

Like we all have the proper oven to roast the meats and the time to properly prepare to marinate. Some recepies can’t work at home, in particular here in Taipei city, where so many flats don’t have kitchens. Some foods are only viable if made in batches and by people who make them every day

1 Like

So overflow telling the op to make scrambled eggs and bacon at home is fine, but telling overflow to make Siu Mei at home warrants me getting a bollocking from you?

Help me understand the difference.

Hey now, the point of this thread is for someone else to make food for you, not at home - even if the subject is a peanut butter sandwich.

3 Likes

well, egg and bacon much easier, charsiu is a long affair, much more expensive to make in smaller batches. Let’s not even talk about goose/duck and soy chicken. You can’t generalise like that. Making breakfast home is one thing, making siumei home is another. Alas, many ppl might enjoy it

You doubled down. Bless you. :heart_eyes:

Not if you have no kitchen, as per the fantasy parameters you gave in your original bollocking.

So is smoking a pig. Maybe the op wants thick cut oak cured bacon, with maple sauce.

You seem to have no problem.

That really depends.

1 Like

Completely agree, hence me picking up on somebody suggesting they make it at home. Then I got told off.:joy:

You do really loves this. Cool and Peace. Will make my breakfast at home but will keep having my siumei outside. I do wish you a pleasant evening. Cheers!

I don’t think we understand one another at all.

Not really. You gave me a sly dig, then doubled down. Neither very cool nor an act of peace.

Omas in Gongguan has brunch, but it is very coveted, must make reservations.

1 Like

I scored a table as a walk-in once, but you’re right, a reservation is highly recommended. But I think the OP is looking for American diner style breakfast, aka greasy spoon fare. And Oma’s is not that.

1 Like

You know, I think the most precise translation of that in most of Taiwan would be a “greasy chopsticks” joint—one of those northern breakfast places serving youtiao, danbing, shaobing, all with egg, and plenty of oil. In these kinds of joints, you could go seriously crazy with ordering and not come close to NT$100. Problem solved! :grin:

Guy

1 Like

Am i the only one who keeps reading this as “Real, Merkin breakfast”?

3 Likes

No, my brain automatically fills in ‘merkin’, too.

And I’m sure a real, merkin breakfast is indeed available if you know the right people.