Really good dumpling restaurant

This is the place to go. It’s right next to the City Hall MRT station.

Before you go eat at Ding Tai Fong, go here first. Much better price, much better food. Try to go outside of meal time though because the lunch time will be jam packed, and be expected to share tables (there’s a sign saying if you don’t want to share tables you will have to order to go).

Oh and they provide a box full of garlic, with the individual cloves separated. You are expected to take a garlic, and crush it with the provided spoon. Then pour your soy sauce over it. DO NOT do this after you have put the sauce in or you’ll make a mess. This will impart a flavor to your dipping sauce.

7 Likes

Are you speaking from experience here - did you make a mess? :sweat_smile:

I think it’s pretty obvious that trying to crush a clove of garlic submerged under soy sauce with a spoon is going to result in it going everywhere lol.

1 Like

TL getting all foodie on us. What wines should we pair with this?

2 Likes

Taiwan beer is sufficient, they may stock them.

3 Likes

Well, you’re in the country where people run red lights, stop signs, run over pedestrians who have the right of way, park on sidewalks, and get angry when called out on these infractions. It’s pretty obvious these actions are wrong but they still happen daily so don’t be surprised if someone crushes their garlic after the soy sauce has been poured into their spoon.

2 Likes

It’s not about a “wrong” action. It’s just a lack of common sense. Garlic cloves are quite difficult to crush, especially with a spoon, so it’s rather obvious that doing that while they’re underneath soy sauce is going to mean that the sauce goes everywhere. :man_shrugging:

If this is a frequent problem that Taiwanese people are running into there, I think it’d be entertaining to watch. I don’t mind the occasional dumpling, though I’d want additional confirmation first that it’s actually a really good dumpling restaurant. I don’t want to trek all the way over to city hall just to discover it’s a McDonald’s or Pizza Hut. :whistle:

I like this one in 士林

Quite local, good prices, always a line up outside

Jipin Fried Dumpling
02 2833 0217
https://maps.app.goo.gl/veT3hnsxsAw117yL8?g_st=ic

I think I’ll go to both tomorrow. Haven’t had good dumplings in a while.

1 Like

Fine, call it a lack of common sense. Running red lights etc is a lack of common sense because you’re bound to get hit or hit someone.

What you do is take the empty saucer, and the provided spoon (the table always has an empty saucer and a spoon, if it’s not present ask for it), put the garlic in the empty saucer. Place the spoon right on top of the garlic, flat side of the spoon down. Now apply pressure and it will crush the garlic.

The box of garlic also includes a silicone sleeve presumably for the purpose of preventing the garlic juice from spraying everywhere, so you can use the sleeve if it helps. But I tried it with the spoon and the saucer and it will work.

Another one of my favorites: 福大蒸餃館
02 2541 3195
https://maps.app.goo.gl/fRDfL9GXQD9rnCqP7?g_st=ic

Erm. :sweat_smile:

Honestly, I don’t need instructions for how to crush a clove of garlic. I’m not sure that anyone does, but I definitely don’t. Did you really think this was necessary…? :thinking:

Do you maybe mean one of these? If so, it’s a garlic peeler.

1 Like

Yea they included one of those, but it’s grey rather than green.

You don’t like it when I explain stuff do you? You rather that I say nothing?

Then it’s a peeler for removing the skin. The color doesn’t matter, of course. (I have one but don’t find it too useful, or really any faster…and I usually buy pre-peeled garlic from the wholesale market anyway because it’s cheaper and easier.)

Erm…it depends what you’re explaining I suppose. I guess the point is to try and calibrate what you’re explaining for the audience. Like…do you think that I – or anyone on Forumosa – was having difficulty grasping the concept of crushing garlic with a spoon? It’s pretty basic stuff. I’m struggling to think of a simpler kitchen operation you could have written out instructions for. Boiling some water, maybe? (No need to provide instructions for this, I’ve got it under control.)

Garlic is meant to be eaten raw and whole with fatty sausages at 2am.

3 Likes

Sounds tasty, but I’m likely going to need detailed instructions for that advanced technique. I tried doing it once, but the garlic clove ended up in my nostril, and you don’t want to know about the sausage.

2 Likes

Yes I agree, that place has fat, juicy, crispy guo tie. Some of the best in Taipei. For some reason it doesn’t have good reviews on google maps. And i have no idea why Taiwanese people love eating raw garlic. Its not enjoyable at all.

佳佳香鍋貼板橋店 - Google Maps
Here’s another great one. Although don’t go to other branches, these ones are cripsy.

老牌山東水餃大王 - Google Maps
This place is pretty great, fried dumplings (not guo tie).

三姊妹水餃大王 - Google Maps
jilong night market. Best guo tie in taiwan imo.

Jiang Family Dumpling and Potsticker - Google Maps
a good one if you are out in yong he

1 Like

Buy a sausage on a stick and grab a clove of garlic from the cup. Bite sausage, then bite the garlic in half. Chew and go mmmmmmm.

Repeat until other drunks push you aside.

One of my favourite salads is just lettuce, smashed garlic, vinegar, olive oil and salt. Although with the dressing, garlic doesn’t really taste like raw.

I went once and can confirm it’s good.

ChatGPT have me this when I asked for detailed instructions. I think some people would still find a way to not be successful. Maybe they world eat eat toothpick?

• Hold the sausage in one hand and take a garlic clove on a toothpick or skewer in the other hand.
  • Be cautious when handling toothpicks or skewers to avoid any injuries. Remove the toothpicks or skewers before eating the garlic and sausage combination.
  • Take a bite of the sausage, ensuring that you also include a portion of the garlic clove in the same bite.
  • Chew the combination of the sausage and garlic together, allowing the flavors to meld.
  • The sausage’s savory and slightly sweet taste will be complemented by the pungent and aromatic notes of the raw garlic.
3 Likes

That’s what’s up.