Reasons for NWOHR getting TARC

Thank you! Makes a lot of sense.

hello @Lain @multipass @tando read this amazing thread. seeking your advice in case you can shed some guidance to how I should proceed. Do you think I can qualify for AF384 for TARC? I was told by TECO Manila that Iā€™m ineligible since my father has passed away and I donā€™t have direct lineage in Taiwanā€¦

Here is my background:

1. I have no direct lineal relatives living in Taiwan.
  2. I have an NWOHR passport since I was a minor till current 39 years of age. Also holding Philippine citizenship (dual citizenship is allowed.)
  3. Father was a naturalized Taiwanese 5 years after I was born.
  4. Father has died in Philippines. Taiwan doesnā€™t have record of his death yet. Father was sick for few years prior to his death and he didnā€™t get to return to Taiwan during this period. His household registration is inactive I suppose for around 5 years now.

Thank you very much in advance!

Hey @purplehome,

Iā€™m not sure if we ever figured out the case of people whose parents became Taiwan nationals with household registration (aka citizens) after the child is born, and whether or not they can apply for AF384.

AF384 is roughly ā€œchildren born overseas to nationals with household registrationā€ ā€“ in our research, it seemed that this applied to children of people who are nationals of Taiwan with household registration at the time of birth. What TECO Manila told you could be correct, but Iā€™m not 100% sure.

I would recommend that you write to NIA or visit NIA in Taiwan, and ask if you qualify for AF384. For example, you could say, ā€œAF384 doesnā€™t mention anything about when the parent became a national with household registration. My parent was a national with household registration, and I am this parentā€™s child, so therefore I meet the requirements as written there.ā€ That said, I think it might be difficult, because I believe the actual implementation of this law has been for children born overseas to nationals with household registration at the time of birth, and it seems like it may have been this way for years.

That said, I still suggest you try discussing this with NIA. Sorry I canā€™t be of much help otherwise. I did some searching on the forum because I thought we discussed this with someone before and maybe you could reach out to them, but I think it turned out that maybe that personā€™s parent had actually been a national with household registration when they were born.

1 Like

Just as a reference, the inquiry above is a continuation of there threads.

This post of @cvg095 may be important. Iā€™m also waiting for an update from the poster.

1 Like

thank you @multipass, your response is much appreciated. I guess TECO is probably right. I was hoping there are other ways to get the TARC since I no longer have direct lineal relatives in Taiwan. thanks again @multipass and @tando!

1 Like

Hey @Jumpingbean, did you manage to get your TARC? Iā€™m in the same situation as you are, with my parentā€™s HHR having been recently moved out, and NIA is telling me that I have to apply under AF353 and that AF384 only applies if the Taiwanese parent is deceased.

Yup - thatā€™s what I was told to do. Do 353. Still waiting for immigration. But just submitted on Thursday.

Got the card using 353 today!

2 Likes

Congrats, and thanks for the update! Youā€™ve given me hope after I was rather discouraged by what NIA was telling me :slight_smile:

I wouldnā€™t be discouraged! It didnā€™t seem to be a problem at all when I submitted my paperwork and told them about the HHR issue. And just in case you havenā€™t seen already, would definitely get the pdf fbi report and just print and send that copy to the DC tecro rather than then getting an original report. Saved me more than 5 weeks of hassle.

1 Like

Finally got my TARC! Many thanks to @Jumpingbean as well as all the other helpful posters in this thread.

Two notes regarding the particulars of my situation, in case itā€™s useful for others in the future:

• My mother does have HHR, but itā€™s been moved out for much longer than I initially realized (ten years or so). During that time period she has returned to Taiwan multiple times on an American passport. I was initially told that AF384 was only for applicants whose Taiwanese parents were deceased and that I had to apply under AF353, which would have required my mother to return to Taiwan on her ROC passport and reactivate her HHR first. After speaking to a different person, I was allowed to sign a statement saying that my mother was currently unable to travel due to health reasons, and that I was aware that if she does not reactivate her HHR by the time my TARC expires, I may not be able to extend it. I then had to provide a letter from her doctor, authenticated by TECO, to prove her health status. After all of that, the TARC I just received lists AF384 under čŗ«åˆ†ę˜Æē”± Purpose of residence.

• My parentsā€™ marriage was never registered in Taiwan. Other guides on the internet just said to bring their authenticated marriage certificate, but in order to register their marriage, I also had to get all of the following:

1. A power of attorney ęŽˆę¬Šę›ø from my mother authorizing me to register the marriage and get a copy of her updated household registration ꈶē±č¬„ęœ¬, authenticated by TECO
  2. A form signed by my (non-Taiwanese) father declaring his Chinese name, also authenticated by TECO
  3. Copies of my motherā€™s ID card and my fatherā€™s passport
4 Likes

thank you for the update. This must be very helpful for some applicants.

You already HAVE a reason to get a TARC, you said it yourself. Your reason is to eventually get full citizenship. Just write that in your application form. Thatā€™s what I did, and I just got my TARC yesterday.

There are no bad reasons.

1 Like

Hello, hope itā€™s okay for me to just jump in here and post some questions I have.

I recently got my NWOHR passport, and am preparing to apply for my TARC once I go to Taiwan in a few months (approx Jan 2022) so I am trying to get everything that I can in order before I go. Your situation and @Jumpingbeanā€™s seems about as close to mine I could find? So if either of you (or anyone else!) has some insight for my situation, Iā€™d appreciate it.

I am over 20, and my parents are both Taiwanese nationals with HHR, but both of theirs are currently inactive and have been for quite some time. They also got married outside of Taiwan and have not registered their marriage in Taiwan, AFAIK. However, I do have my dadā€™s entire side of the family in Taiwan, with the exception of his parents who are deceased. I was wondering if I could apply for a TARC under AF353 with an aunt or uncle who does have a current active HHR on my dadā€™s side, instead of getting my dad or mom to come back to Taiwan to reactivate theirs. Due to their jobs and current quarantine rules, they would not be able to return to Taiwan.

I also donā€™t believe that either of their HHRs were active when I was born. If it helps, I do have access to their ID cards and can also get the paperwork for their HHRs once I am in Taiwan, but I am unsure if I am able to apply under AF384, since my parents are not deceased.

I donā€™t know if aunt or uncle works - usually they want to see direct lineage. I think also may need more documents if parents marriage not certified in Taiwan. They didnā€™t care that my parents hhr was inactive but I had to get the hhr certificate to show when they were married and confirm I was born after.

1 Like

My understanding is that it has to be a relative in the direct line of descent, so an aunt/uncle probably wonā€™t work.

Yes, I was also told that AF384 is only for applicants whose parents are deceased.

At least based on my experience, the NIA will require you to get your parentsā€™ marriage registered before issuing your TARC. I was able to do it on my parentsā€™ behalf, but it required getting my their marriage certificate authenticated by TECO, a power of attorney for my Taiwanese parent, and copies of my parentsā€™ IDs.

I thinkā€“and I want to be very clear that this is only my guess and should not be relied uponā€“that if you tell the NIA that your parents canā€™t reactivate their HHR right now due to the pandemic, they might let you submit your materials and issue you a TARC under AF384 like they ultimately did with me. This is dependent on finding someone sympathetic to talk to at the NIAā€“the first person I talked to there flat out told me that it wasnā€™t going to work, but a different person on a different day allowed me to submit the statement I mentioned above about why my mom couldnā€™t reactivate her HHR. You might try calling the NIA (multiple times on different days, if necessary) and asking them about your situation.

Does someone have the list of reason translated accurately?

@Audrey did you ever get your TARC?

You mean reason for applying for TARC? There is no list. Itā€™s an open-ended question, and there are no wrong answers. Just write that you are trying to obtain an ID.

I think he means this document:

The list of TARC application categories and eligibility requirements.

1 Like