Reasons for NWOHR getting TARC

Tando profile is hidden, cannot contact him.

You can still message hidden users. Start a blank message and then add them as the recipent.

1 Like

These documents only mention ARC for foreigners, nothing about TARC for NWOHR citizens.

2 Likes

Ah ok. Looks like NWOHR citizens can still apply for study. That’s good news.

If foreigner (ARC applicants) can apply through studies, then NWOHR can. Make sense? Why would arc holders have more advantages than TW passport holders?

Yeah that would make sense theoretically, but you have to realize that nothing in Taiwan makes sense, so you always have to make sure.

For example, ARC holders who want to qualify for permanent residency can count their study years as time lived in Taiwan, but TARC holders who want to qualify for ID cannot.

2 Likes

Are you sure that’s true? I was under the impression that it could not be counted.

1 Like

It also takes 2 years LONGER to gain permanent residency than to naturalize for holders of ARCs due to marriage to Taiwanese.

Taiwan isn’t the place of things that make sense :sweat_smile:

It’s a good rule of thumb to never assume something is true because it makes sense in Taiwan

3 Likes

No. Welcome to Taiwan.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure anyone on a student ARC does not qualify for Permanent Residency (APRC), in other words, time spent studying with a student ARC will not be counted towards the 5 year residency requirement.

You’re right! It does not count.

2 Likes

Apply for what?

Residence

I see…But these foreigners are only applying for “temporary” residence for purposes of study…in other words, their ARC will only be valid for a year at most and it will be tied to their school, their attendence record & their grades and if they don’t do well in any of those areas, their ARC will be revoked (unable to renew) and they will have to leave Taiwan. Add to that, this type of ARC that they hold will not, in any way, help them gain Permanent Residency status or obtain an ID.

A TARC, on the other hand, is a different “Residency Status” which will eventually grant you full Citizenship once you complete your stay of residence requirement.

Same situation with TARC. If I obtain TARC by study, won´t grant me a simple road to full citizenship. Because anybody can enroll in a college to study a course. It´s affordable.

Anyway, there are no many info about TARC or NWOHR holders. Many people are not aware of the NWOHR passport existence.

In Japan it takes 10 years to get permanent residency. But you can apply for naturalization after 5 years residence, or 3 years if you are married to a Japanese citizen. It’s easier to become one of them (if renouncing your citizenship is no problem for you) than it is to get permission to live there indefinitely as a foreigner.

Please be our guinea pig and apply for this, I really want to see what happens.

This is just an excuse, I am Hispanic too and I stayed here with a work permit, got APRC after working 5 years and applied to Taiwanese nationality voluntarily (means work not marriage).

1 Like

This is not correct. My years of student ARC didn’t count towards APRC. you have to have 5 years of actually paying taxes to get your APRC.

1 Like

yes, but most of the TW companies won´t hire people without ARC/work visa. And for hispanic people is difficult to get a job in TW, unless you have work visa.

Even if you have an ARC and work permit, they will still need to get you a new one which is the same as applying from scratch basically. I know at least a dozen people like me who looked for a job and within 1-3 months they found one, all Hispanic.

The only people with an advantage are the ones with APRC or married to a TW citizen, because they have an open work permit and can change employers as they please.

1 Like