Recount, the right thing to do

I recommend watching “News Hacker”, just for a laugh then

http://www.ettoday.com/2004/03/23/91-1605452.htm

DPP announces that they support changing the election law to make it a requirement for recount when the difference is less than 1%. They initiated this proposal today and seek support from pan blue camp to pass the changes tomorrow in li fa yuan, paving the way to start the recount immediately this friday.

CSB hopes that by responding positively to pan blue’s request of immediate recount, we can end the riots and stablize our society now.

But guess what? The pan-blue rejected the plan in li fa yuan just now! Their reason is that they think a recount on Friday is still too late and they want a “immediate recount”!

http://www.ettoday.com/2004/03/23/301-1605441.htm

So they will not cooperate in li fa yuan (they still hold the majority seats) for this to happen. Good god, what the hell is up with them? Now it’s just absolutely ridiclous and it shows that they want to find more excuses to keep the riot. Their action is incredibly retarded, because realisticly speaking this friday is probably the earliest possible time for a recount to be held considering all the current options that have to go through. I have never been so angered by their actions as much as I am now :fume:

[quote=“jonathan”]http://www.ettoday.com/2004/03/23/91-1605452.htm

DPP announces that they support changing the election law to make it a requirement for recount when the difference is less than 1%. They initiated this proposal today and seek support from pan blue camp to pass the changes tomorrow in li fa yuan, paving the way to start the recount immediately this Friday.

CSB hopes that by responding positively to pan blue’s request of immediate recount, we can end the riot and stablize our society now.

But guess what? The pan-blue rejected the plan in li fa yuan just now! Their reason is that they think a recount on Friday is still too late and they want a “immediate recount”!

http://www.ettoday.com/2004/03/23/301-1605441.htm

So they will not cooperate in li fa yuan (they still hold the majority seats) for this to happen. Good god, what the hell is up with them? Now it’s just absolutely ridiclous and it shows that they want to find more excuses to keep the riot. Their action is incredibly retarded, because realisticly speaking this Friday is probably the earliest possible time for a recount to be held considering all the current options that have to go through. I have never been so angered by their actions as much as I am now :fume:[/quote]

Agreed completely. I was watching ShiMin TV News when the fight broke out. Started by the KMY legislators of course.

THUGS!!!

Clearly, they WANT TO be able to still have the theme of “we need an immediate recount!!” so that they can still hold the rally on 3/27. Well damn it pan-blue, they just AGREED to your request and YOU rejected their proposal! If Taiwanese still cannot see what a bunch of immature losers who obviously have ZERO interest in letting the society returns to normal, I have lost my faith in them.

You actually had faith in them to begin with? Shame on you.

If you think those are riots, you have never seen a real riot!

The New York Times website is reporting it this way:

‘‘President Chen Shui-bian of Taiwan agreed Tuesday morning to a recount of his disputed victory by a razor-thin margin in the presidential elections on Saturday, giving in to pressure from street demonstrations and the United States.’’

Pressure from USA? Explain.

I would agree that’s the proper thing to do. But Taiwanese doesn’t trust the judicial system to be politically uninfluenced. So the KMT chooses to pressure the government while the issue is still hot. Given the DDP in the same situation they would demand the same thing.

If Lien has a legal basis to get a recount, then yes it is the right thing to do.

Otherwise, he should go back to his wife-beating and tax evasion.

so what’s going to happen now?
they offered a recount on this friday, but they rejected it because it was “too slow”. are they going to change their minds? becaues Taiwan cannot afford to keep this mass dragging on…

[quote=“jonathan”]so what’s going to happen now?
they offered a recount on this Friday, but they rejected it because it was “too slow”. are they going to change their minds? becaues Taiwan cannot afford to keep this mass dragging on…[/quote]

There are some news stories in the local media that report Wang Jin-Ping(???), head of the LY and widely seen as the leader of the KMT’s localization faction seems willing to accept an amendment to the election law rather then that emergency declaration they were pressing for. Hopefully this means some sense is coming back into the KMT.

Less credible but nonetheless interesting are rumors that this whole charade was the work of James Soong, who is attempting to launch a PFP takeover of the KMT. As the theory goes Lien would take most of the blame for the protests and baseless accusations, while Soong could claim that he was just following Lien’s lead. Soong would then be in a position to oust Lien from the KMT Chairmanship with the help of the KMT’s right wing and seize control.

Who’d buy that? Soong has been actively playing to the crowd (last night), going on and on about the ‘suspicious points’ of the assassination attempt and about the ‘unfairness’ of the election.
No one is really gong to believe that he was only following Lien’s orders.

It’s like trying to “prove” the theory of evolution to someone who believes in creationism. Or as the Chinese say: playing piano for a cow.

I just want to confirm whether something is fact or fiction. We’ve been hearing and reading that the KMT/PFP folks won’t settle for a recount brought about by legislation or a judicial process, and that the only thing fast enough would be for CSB to give an executive order to conduct a recount.

Is it actually legal for the President to order the election commission to do a recount? What law states this? I keep wondering if what the pan-blues are requesting is even legal. Can anyone point me toward the relevant law?

Recount or not, the only real option Lien has now is to adopt, “Bu4 cheng2 ren4” (“We don’t recognize [CSB as the President]”) as his slogan/battlecry.

That is going to cause serious problems in the legislative yuan as KMT has got most of the seats.

Why is Lee Deng-Hui so quiet? I woulda thought he would have something to say.
He’s playing golf in Japan if he’s got any sense.

I think the former president is being smart as usual and keeping quiet so as to give the Blue Cry Babies enough rope to hang themselves.

[quote=“Jive Turkey”]I just want to confirm whether something is fact or fiction. We’ve been hearing and reading that the KMT/PFP folks won’t settle for a recount brought about by legislation or a judicial process, and that the only thing fast enough would be for CSB to give an executive order to conduct a recount.

Is it actually legal for the President to order the election commission to do a recount? What law states this? I keep wondering if what the pan-blues are requesting is even legal. Can anyone point me toward the relevant law?[/quote]

Even if it were legal, and there is no mention of it in the election law, since the ballots are currently in the custody of the judiciary, he couldn’t order a recount, even if he wanted to.

He has told the Lien camp to file the lawsuit and he will file a brief saying that he won’t contest it paving the way for the judge to be able to quickly order a recount.

From the front page of the Taipei Times today, April 2:

[quote]KMT-PFP alliance wants to examime only ballots cast in favor of Chen, Lu

The pan-blue camp will ask judges to examine and recount only the valid ballots cast in favor of President Chen Shui-bian and Annette Lu, the opposition parties said yesterday.

In response to the pan-blue camp’s request, one of the lawyers representing the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), Wellington Koo, said yesterday the DPP will ask for a recount of all the votes.
[/quote]

Now, is this an April Fool’s joke gone horribly wrong… or is this for real? It’s really getting hard to tell around here :unamused: :laughing:

I suspect it’s the truth. Next they’ll want to “interview” those who voted Green to check their soundness of mind.