Referendums Galore - 2018 Municipal Elections

Well that’s a first. :grin:

2 Likes

I don’t know if you’ve ever been to a old Brick building like temples in Taiwan. They have holes design into them that carry wind in and out and create an air flow.

1 Like

I guess I should have said be suspended. I always enjoy rocking the boat!

It’s gotten hotter over the last few decades too though and not only in the cities, but they are the worst due to the heat island effect.

1 Like

Reading the comments about the recent elections lol

They see the word nationalist party under KMT and they think of them like nationalist in the west lol. They see the progressive in the DPP they think they are the leftist who love communism lol.

1 Like

Yep good comment. Then you get ‘DPP the independence party’ when they state they aren’t actually advocating for independence !

I will link to a Reddit thread on the marriage equality issue. Most of the posters end up posting about Thailand!

I am still livid about the results. It makes me sick in the stomach every time I think about it and I can hardly do my work.

If it makes you feel better, I and many others feel sorry about how the whole issue was twisted by christian and conservative groups. I would have voted yes for equality, but then again I don’t have a vote and won’t anytime soon since they took my Taiwan nationality away again .

I’ve seen the same dynamic play out in my home country which was once, not very long ago, far more conservative than Taiwan. The only major difference is that older people in Taiwan are REALLY stuck in their mindsets, whereas older folks in Ireland are more willing to listen and evaluate these days.

The marriage equality legislation will be passed someday I am sure.

2 Likes

Well, it is in their party charter. I get that Tsai says she wants to preserve the ‘status quo’. But there isn’t consensus on what that means either.

The “hardline” Independence Party in some articles… they haven’t been that in a long time. These days they are as status quo as the KMT.

I think the neighbours play a really big role. It’s a lot easier to push same sex marriage in W. Europe where most countries have already legalised it and where the countries are in an Union, share mostly the same values. Even if some don’t approve they would still be far more used to the idea.

That is not enough. It has to be now.

Perhaps, Irish people are more exposed to western culture for sure. But remember abortion is still mostly illegal in Ireland , so it’s still conservative in some ways.

I believe the reason it passed in Ireland was partly due to well know gay personalities and also young people convincing their elders that this wasn’t a bad thing. But even when I was in college in the 90s there were almost no open LGBT students (in fact I only found out two friends of mine were gay after we all graduated), it’s a process in society.

It will happen. My cousins who have some of the most conservative parents all have the rainbow background profile picture up. Having a good health care system where old people go and hangout at the doctors has a negative. People won’t fucking die.

I don’t think this is a nice comment. Old people have a right to their opinions and vote. What people should be doing is explaining why marriage equality isn’t a threat.

BTW I don’t think the Taipei gay parade helped things at all, it was too in your face sexual. What you need to convince people is that gays and lesbians can be good and perfectly ‘normal’ fathers and mothers too.

I mean people feel pretty comfortable being openly gay in Taiwan. I’ve yet to see much issues with that in recent times. People in Taiwan don’t hate the gays or have a huge moral objection…they just don’t want their kid to be gay. Perhaps a different type of conservatism than the west.

No that’s not the point at all. There shouldn’t have been a referendum in the first place. It’s not entirely about generations. Almost no country has passed gay marriage based on a popular vote (and the two that did only did so very recently after so many other countries have already done so) precisely because it’s dangerous. In Canada when they legalised gay marriage the support was merely 40%, which means if there was a referendum it would’ve been a disaster. Same goes for the US. Under this administration, if a referendum is proposed now the result would be absolutely devastating. I don’t think the hardcore conservatives are any less wacked in the US than in Taiwan. Probably even worse. When the Supreme Court decided on Obergefell it almost didn’t pass with one vote, whereas in Taiwan it was 10 : 4, a far better majority.

1 Like

I haven’t met many open gays and lesbians in the workplace. In fact almost none. Also never heard nor recall meeting openly gay and lesbian teachers, police, doctors…All that. I think openly gay or lesbian teacher would have serious issues getting hired in some if not most schools.

But the younger generation might be different.

Old people do. I’m just saying people live really really long.

Really? I’ve worked with many. No one cares or gossip beyond what they do for none gays. Worked with a lesbian couple before that worked together as well. Had worked with athletes that were in HS that were openly gay or lesbian.

1 Like

Tbh coming out in workplace is extremely difficult even in the gay-friendliest countries. It depends more on the people you work with.

That said there is a transwoman teaching in Taichung First Senior High School. She was on the news. Audrey Tang is also a transwoman, she’s even a minister.

2 Likes