Remaining anonymous on Forumosa

Anyone else censor their posts in other places out of fear they’ll be identified?
I’m thinking like posting the same news articles or funny pictures in FB groups might identity you.
The recipe thread would be a big giveaway if I posted on the cooking Taiwan FB page as well.
Not that I need to be anonymous, just curious if others think about that?

Of course, mostly. :grin:

1 Like

Yeah that’s why it’s important to lie.

1 Like

I just put my profile on private after some insane loser kept making new accounts just to harass me and make threats, such as sending poison-pen letters to my university and publishing my address and phone number. I’m sure he was full of shit, but it was disturbing enough to put my profile on dark. It was probably a troll I put down at some time, and for one reason or another he never got over it.

8 Likes

Wow, crazy

2 Likes

I hope the mods don’t mind me saying, but they actually changed a rule over it that your first post here has to be approved by a mod.

1 Like

Blimey, that’s really scary!

1 Like

He’s got to be traceable. Some of the computer boffins on here should know how to find him.

I don’t know. I asked the mods about banning his IP and they said it wouldn’t matter because you can easily change it nowadays.

And that’s true.

2 Likes

Yeah there’s not too much to be done to prevent someone from being an idiot, ultimately, except removing them. We do have some IP information on record if it ever comes down to something legally actionable.

12 Likes

There must be a trail of IPs that are trackable. If someone tried to fuck up my job I’d get an expert to do that.

2 Likes

Just have multiple accounts and spread your identity between them. For example, half the posts in this thread are me.

11 Likes

He said some vile shit about my wife and daughter too, so that only added extra incentive to go private. I realized I was sharing too much about myself here. I did find it funny that he said he’d screen shot a bunch of my posts to send to my uni, since I don’t think I say anything especially controversial here. He kept hinting he knew which uni I worked at, but I doubt it and I should’ve challenged him on it to shut him up. I’m sure I’ve tangled with the same person under different names at least 3 or 4 times over the last year.

4 Likes

I can’t PM you.

Try now

Well I guess none of you would be willing to participate in a gift exchange. LOL :laughing:

In an anonymous way it can be interesting.
Gifts can be sent to convenience stores so addresses don’t even need to be shared. :wink:

1 Like

Or gifts can be those gift cards sent through email PM. :innocent:

Reddit tried that. Heard it didn’t fair so well. Mind you, that was mostly international (but also included the jaded “Taiwan” sub). Pre-COVID. However, even domestic shipments (7-11, etc.) require ID for pickup, last I used it.

If it could be anonymous (apart from the closest convenience store to our city/home), would there be interest in a “Secret Santa?” Might be intriguing!