Remaining anonymous on Forumosa

3 Likes

I accidentally know a few people from Forumosa because of their activities on Facebook that match up. And even know of some relationships.

I don’t try or care to know who people are but the “light came on” a couple times when just reading through various social media.

I totally avoid doing nearly anything other than posting simple pictures on places like Facebook. I don’t mix anything like pictures, comments, etc. between Forumosa, Facebook, other social media. I don’t chat, answer/ask questions, nothing public. If I see a public post and want to comment, I’ll DM the person.

The standard for forums like Forumosa, Reddit, etc. is to remain anonymous. Unless of course you are an influencer or have a purpose to not remain anonymous.

There are crazy irrational people everywhere, I try to avoid all opportunities of meeting them including online :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like the thought of “What happens on Forumosa, stays on Forumosa”.

3 Likes

As a formerly prolific poster in the day who took a long break and then returned, that is the biggest difference I see in the forum 2day. It’s kind of sad, but I’ve been reaching out to folks to meet up with post-Q and have only been met with positivity. Some I’ve know for a while and some I just want to meet bc they seem like people I’d like to meet.

I know its grave digging flob history, but the HHs of yore were fucking legendary. The cast was just amazeballz. Ya’ll should try it. :+1:

3 Likes

Yeah…that never happened, yet only led to sparks a couple of times afaik.

The Headhonchos? How many were there?
@headhonchoII
@headhonchoIII

I’ve always thought the biggest red flag for toxic posters is when they register and jump right into a big flame up, name calling left right and center. You’d have to be pretty dumb to do that or a troll or a sock puppet.

I guess I’ve been pretty lucky, twenty years on here, no real psycho shit and my identity is pretty easily discoverable.

6 Likes

One of the few old-timers I never met. I Like the new incarnation, though. :+1:

2 Likes

In the old days… a lot of people maybe met first, were located in similar areas, interests, activities and then joined Forumosa as a social opportunity, friend talk, etc.

In the new days… people probably find Forumosa first before meeting anyone from Forumosa.

And… Facebook now rules the universe.

I used to watch the HHs from afar (well from a different corner of Carnage). It was fun trying to figure out who was who.

After an hour…you knew. :rant:

Ice picks ain’t my thing.

I’ve identified at least two forumosans’ real life person, and it’s weird. Personally I wouldn’t like to be associated in any way to my profile here, for several reasons, and it’s something that has concerned me in a couple of instances. To be aware of these things spoils the fun and also the knowledge/experience/thoughts sharing…

It does and it doesn’t. I’d like to share a lot More interesting stuff but I can’t mostly due to my job, at the same time I’m not going to limit it so much that I cant share any of my interests.
I think if I had my own business or retired I wouldn’t care too much.

I also had to severely restrict my social accounts before because of some weirdos out there. So there ain’t a lot of personal info I post anyway . But some hobbies and travels in particular , would be fun to share more.

1 Like

Yeah, you can still share some but most of the relevant stuff would put you at risk. I don’t have much social media activity in the first place, I just chat with people I know or care about and sometimes I even see myself repeating the same shit or even copying and pasting the same messages to different people haha.

1 Like

You post differently to how you are IRL?

I couldn’t do that.

4 Likes

:rofl:

Let’s say that I use the same humour but I’m way more experimental and can develop it more here. Also nobody can’t but “post differently to what they are in real life”.

5 Likes

I honestly don’t think I do. I’m almost exactly the same IRL.

5 Likes

it’s too complicated.

3 Likes

I guess that the two likes you got are from people who know you in person, but… I always have thought that forums, and written media in general always tend to make people sound different, be more assertive, more “self-confident”, etc. An example of this would be how cocky and so some people are online when in person would might look more like the contrary. Also, again, people seem to have to have strong opinions online, and I do think it’s something that forums promote.

4 Likes