Remove support for iOS and Safari versions 13 and below

Then why don’t you use one of the newer hand-me-downs from your wife? I’m sure she didn’t upgrade to her current iPhone 14 Super Max straight from the iPhone 4 you’re using now.

I am using her IPhone 6s Plus. She waited to the last minute to upgrade to the 14. She’s cheap too!

Ah. That’s the other issue. It’s a rare thing when both people in a relationship are cheap, and that might explain how you got into this predicament which nobody else here seems to be in.

1 Like

To even up the sides here, I’m with @MalcolmReynolds ;
Fuck Apple
Fuck upgrades
Fuck non removable batteries
Fuck planned obsolescence

People bitch about sustainability and trying to save the planet, but see no problem with having to get a new phone every 2 years. Crazy.

2 Likes

Some of us grown out of it, 15 years ago replaced my phone and laptop every 6 months.
Eventually woke up to the stupidness of it.

Now I use until broken, does mean I’m quite up to date now though, iPhone 13 upgrade from multiple hardware problem iPhone 6 bought refurbished.
I had myself replaced battery, speaker and WiFi antenna on it in ownership before I gave up.
Now have MacBook Air M1 left my 2011 iMac that I upgraded to ssd and donated to my son 11 months ago.
Have to admit the iphone and MacBook are a lot nicer to use.

1 Like

But don’t your phones and laptops become obsolete WAAAAAY before they break? Mine do. Or maybe it’s just that I take better care of my electronics.

1 Like

After that, iOS 12 and 13 users will then be shown the non-interactive basic HTML view. All iOS browsers are based on Safari so this will affect all of them, including Chrome, Firefox and DiscourseHub.

Seems like it should still work in some capacity

This is why you don’t buy Apple. You don’t truly even have a choice of web browser.

1 Like

They already charge more than enough for it to be a one-time investment. The idea that the hardware should be replaced every two years or so and “just a part of capitalism” is wasteful and toxic. It’s not part of a capitalist society anyway as most new phones are financed anyway and will be obsolete before the credit is paid off, so essentially the consumers end up in negative equity. Capitalist society would be that you buy something and own it.

More like wealthy 70-year-old man tech company CEO needs to buy new tits for his sixth teen mistress victim. Force redundancy on all hardware that doesn’t have “Trusted Platform Module” so that the tech-ignorant older folks have to shell out nearly $1000 so they can keep up with their middle-aged kids Instagram posts by using new, irreparable hardware manufactured using child labour in an aggressive communist regime. :popcorn:

Not attacking you @user86 I understand your perspective, I just hate it.

2 Likes

I’m never going to buy a Tesla. But, if you give me your used one for free, then I will use it and enjoy it very much. But, if suddenly it requires an expensive software upgrade or battery replacement to continue using it, I’ll stop driving it immediately and junk it.

For the record, I drive a beat-ta-shit 1995 Toyota Tercel for which I paid $3,000 NTD. Works fine and I don’t need to stress out that some Taiwanese knob is going to damage my car. Go ahead. Dent it. Scratch it. Give it some character. IDGAF! But, give me your used Tesla for free and I’ll drive it with pride.

Back to “smart” phones. I don’t believe that I ever claimed that I don’t want to use smart phones or that I don’t find them useful or convenient. I did say I hated them, but that was probably a bit hyperbole due to my frustrations at the moment.

However, I don’t particularly love them or need one and I just don’t want to pay the exorbitant cost for one and then have to buy a new one every couple of years just because they keep updating APPs and needing more and more processing power for the new iOS updates, etc. They are convenient and useful, but it really pisses me off that when I walk into a restaurant, they want me to scan a QR code and order that way instead of the old-fashioned way of ordering through a server. It’s almost like society is saying, “If you ain’t got a smart phone and the latest and greatest at that, then you ain’t shit!”

All of my used hand me down Iphones work splendidly. But, they pretty much can only be used as MP3 players at this point because web pages load way too slowly, all the APPs on it won’t work because they aren’t the latest and I can’t install the latest APPs because I can’t update the system any higher. Pity. They absolutely work fine, but no…they ain’t new…so fuck me!

So, if anyone wants to gift me an Iphone 11, 12, 13, 14, I’ll put it to good use and take lots of beach bikini photos and continue to use Forumosa while I’m out and about. But, until that time, you’ll have to wait for my pearls of wisdom and other wisecracks until I come home and sit down at the desktop computer cause I ain’t gonna update my phone’s iOS and I probably can’t now anyway.

I can vouch for this.

1 Like

How much does an iPhone cost? Like $650 USD? If everybody only pays Apple $650 one time in their whole lifetime for an iPhone, I’m pretty sure that would not be a good return on investment for Apple.

my user name says it all

1 Like

No, but it would reduce/stop the insane amount of personal debt that people get into because they get on the “new tech” bandwagon. I know which one I care about more.

That is the definition of “obsolete”, so I would not say your phone works fine.

You don’t use high-tech gadgets until they break. They’re not mechanical devices like cars, so they don’t really wear out. You just use them until they become obsolete for your purposes.

There is a reason newer apps require newer operating systems, and there is a reason newer operating systems require newer phones.

Unless you pick me up at some desolate place and take me to lunch, your words are meaningless. I have standards.

1 Like

I think I misinterpreted your earlier message, somewhat distracted this morning. Ignore

Yeah, they might have to become far more expensive.

Yeah that’s what I said too in my original post.

1 Like

They haven’t added much new, though. When do we get something cool like a holographic keyboard that’s worth an upgrade?

1 Like

It would also make Apple stop selling iPhones, and then we would all go back to using public pay phones. How would you like that?