Remove support for iOS and Safari versions 13 and below

Take me to lunch and show me your car. That was my message.

2 Likes

Totally.

2 Likes

Damn…

1 Like

That’s quite a leap, but personally I’d love that, yeah.

A Motorola Razr V3 or one of the later Nokia’s would do great. Doesn’t need to record your fucking steps as some arbitrary false measurement of “look how active I am”. You’d do more of those crucial steps that are going to save your life by walking to the payphone that you suggest, you’d save more money, and the conversation would be better because you actually make an effort as opposed to just sending memes to people that have you on mute in your WhatsApp or WeChat groups.

Nothing that Apple has sold in the last decade is really worth it, you’re paying 300% more for something that’s effectively maybe 10% better than the most basic model.

A nice phone is way more than just a little bit better than the most basic model. But I’m of the mind that the things worth paying more for are the things you use all the freaking time (pillows. shower head. toilet paper. tools that you use.), and you scrimp on the things that you don’t use all the time. A phone falls squarely into the things most of us use all the time, and for many, paying more for a better experience is worth it.

Not if you actually communicate often, doubly so international, triply so if your phone is your primary source of internet.

1 Like

I didn’t suggest the payphone thing, in this hypothetical world that I would like, we still have iPhones and shit or whatever people want, just the older stuff wouldn’t be obsoleted for some bullshit money-grabbing reason. I don’t actually think Apple is the worst offender here, but Windows 11 and the TPM 2.0 requirement is pretty appalling, especially as a lot of companies require the latest and greatest software updates if you are using your own equipment for work, for example.

Also, often communication is different from effective communication. I’ve spent weeks of my life on video calls that achieve nothing, where I say nothing, where I listen to nothing, but I HAVE to be there.

1 Like

Then just buy the basic model. I’ve been using the iPhone SE and iPhone Minis, and they work great. I only spent like US$500 on it, which was how much the Motorola RAZR cost back in the day. The only reason you paid $99 for it was because it was subsidized as part of your contractual agreement to remain with your carrier for two years.

:money_with_wings:

I haven’t entered any contract with a phone company for a mobile - I buy mine cheap and used. I know a lot of people that have and they pay enormous amounts each month for something that has capabilities that my iPhone 6 would have, if it wasn’t for browser obsolescence and lack of updates, or the Huawei that I had prior to that which was banned updates because the government thinks the Chinese are going to use it to spy on us.

1 Like

Lucky you. In the US where I’m from, phones were locked to specific phone numbers and carriers back during the Motorola RAZR days, so I couldn’t just buy someone else’s used phone and use it without a contract. The only way to buy a phone was to buy a new one and sign a two-year contract.

We Americans back then spent way more on phones than we do now, if you consider the inflated monthly fee we paid over a 24-month period, and the fact that we couldn’t buy or sell used phones.

Nope. On the gsm carriers, you could swap sim cards like you can now, if you bought used from someone on the same carrier. you could also buy unlocked phones, but back then they was a good chance the phone might not have key bands for your carrier. CDMA carriers, you had to bring the phone in to change numbers, but it was still possible to go used.

You couldn’t buy unlocked phones, because they did not exist (unless you bought one from overseas). Even if your 2-year contract was up, there was no such thing as “asking your carrier to unlock your phone”. The only thing even close to an unlocked phone was AT&T’s Nokia GoPhone which came with a pre-paid SIM card that had a certain number of pre-paid minutes per month. That was the phone I had in 2003 when I first moved to the US.

But you are correct about buying used phones from someone else who happened to be on the same carrier.

So what you’re acknowledging is they existed. :wink:

Off subject:
Was importing a digital camera to mobile phones a good or bad idea?

• Good
  • Bad

0 voters

GREAT. because the best camera is the one you have handy.