Renaming the Flounder Forum

People new to posting are just not going to be happy with having their words thrown in the garbage.

I don’t give a toss now. But, it took 6 months to get to that point.

I did suggest a solution above here somewhere. If a thread can stick around for 30 days it can move to a permanent home. Easy to digest for new users then because they will see the logic. A moderator floundered it. The community kept giving it air for 30 days and now it has a home.

Or, geez it really was not part of what this community want to discuss. I can accept that.

[quote=“Tetsuo”]
How is “flounder” offensive or negative?

The word “flounder” has no inherent negative or offensive qualities - it’s the act of “floundering” that has led to the shittiness toward it by a very small proportion of people.[/quote]

I hate to be the dictionary.com quoter here, but
Flounder

1. To make clumsy attempts to move or regain one’s balance.
  2. To move or act clumsily and in confusion. See Synonyms at blunder. See Usage Note at founder.

[Probably alteration of founder.]

Well, I’m glad to see my thread about Divine Deleters has led to this positive spin off. Though I do not agree with the amt of power moderators are given to determine the worthiness of a post, or with the extreme power trip a very small number of mods are now on, I do applaud this course of action by the Administration.

I think Ironman’s idea to bring back a thread after 30 days is FANTASTIC!!! This is the equivalent of the People overturning a bad decision. A most excellent suggestion. It renders moot this discussion of nomenclature, restores confidence to the People, and acts as a guarantee against bad decisions.

Checks and balances. This is what keeps a community strong. I realize this is not a republic or even a representative democracy, but great dividends can be reaped from small gestures to the People.

I agree. Provided, however, that the OP cannot simply keep posting (unless in actual replies to other posters’ statements) to ensure that his/her Floundered thread remains viable.

I agree. Provided, however, that the OP cannot simply keep posting (unless in actual replies to other posters’ statements) to ensure that his/her Floundered thread remains viable.[/quote]
likewise, I think it would be good to have certain number of replies in 30 days to keep it alive, otherwise 1 reply at day 29 will do it.

Probably needs to be kept simple or this idea will get short shift.

Maybe move them all across if they make it to 30 days. They could then be moved into the appropriate forum if a moderator requested it from that forum.

They could also be removed totally if posters then started posting in that thread “This is only here because Jimmybobjob kept spamming it with more posts”

Then it would be examined and deleted totally if that proved to be true.

I’d call it the aquarium until a better name turns up.

What on earth will renaming the Flounder Forum achieve? Those who get pissed off when their posts are moved there, are going to get pissed off no matter what it is called. It’s not like it’s called ‘The Sin Bin’ or anything now. It has a fairly harmless name. If we changed the name to ‘The Nice Happy Lovely Meadows of Peace’ people would still whine.

As for getting good threads back - just PM Maoman or the relevant moderator.

Brian

Nice name, I like it! :laughing:

Nice name, I like it! :laughing:[/quote]
It’s Happy and Lovely, too

Why not have some fun with the name, and periodically change it to sillinesses like this, to reflect the silliness of the posts therein?

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Why not have some fun with the name, and periodically change it to sillinesses like this, to reflect the silliness of the posts therein?[/quote]Fair enough but am I alone in thinking that a more sensible, descriptive name would encourage posters to use that forum for posting new topics of temporary relevance, and mean that people are more likely to take such posts seriously?

I also think that there is more than a passing chance that going for a more prosaic name could reduce the offence caused by moving a silly post there.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“Dragonbones”]Why not have some fun with the name, and periodically change it to sillinesses like this, to reflect the silliness of the posts therein?[/quote]Fair enough but am I alone in thinking that a more sensible, descriptive name would encourage posters to use that forum for posting new topics of temporary relevance, and mean that people are more likely to take such posts seriously?

I also think that there is more than a passing chance that going for a more prosaic name could reduce the offence caused by moving a silly post there.[/quote]

I already post most of my stuff that doesn’t quite fit in with the rest of the forum. A few others do that. Newcomers don’t automatically know what the flounder forum is used for. However it does make it easier to work out the forums use if the name of the temporary forum is more obvious.

My clothing question trying to find an answer to a trivial question was obviously one of temporary relevance (for me since I don’t wear either) about the difference between stockings and pantyhose was taken serious by some and not by others. I really did want to know the difference. I think that a name of the forum won’t change how people interpret the ‘usefulness’ or ‘seriousness’ of the post.

Hey joesax. That’s not bad.

[quote=“Ironman”][quote=“joesax”]new topics of temporary relevance[/quote]Hey joesax. That’s not bad.[/quote]You mean as a forum title? We could give it the acronym NTTR (pronounced “nutter”) but that might defeat the object of changing the name…

[quote=“Matchstick_man”]I already post most of my stuff that doesn’t quite fit in with the rest of the forum.[/quote]Me too.[quote=“Matchstick_man”]I think that a name of the forum won’t change how people interpret the ‘usefulness’ or ‘seriousness’ of the post.[/quote]I think it might. I feel certain that people would be more inclined to post there, and I suspect but am not sure that posts there would be more likely to be taken seriously.

Hey joesax. That’s not bad.[/quote]

I second that. As it stands, being floundered has some kind of a negative stygma attached to it. Renaming to Joesax’s suggestion would highlight the fact that not all flounders are bad, just not posts/threads that need to be part of permanent record. The permanent forums can be for threads and discussions that add to the knowledge base of the site, while the temporary relevence forum can be for whatever else is on our silly little minds. Posts and threads are put there without implying they smell “fishy.”

well, maybe everything should start in that forum and get moved into the forums as the mods see fit. If it doesn’t make it due to lack of interest…oh well.

:bravo: :bravo:

Mods should fight over who gets what:

I want “sex starved nubiles!” Sandman always gets the good threads!!

[quote=“Toasty”][quote=“Ironman”][quote=“joesax”]new topics of temporary relevance[/quote]Hey joesax. That’s not bad.[/quote]I second that. As it stands, being floundered has some kind of a negative stygma attached to it. Renaming to Joesax’s suggestion would highlight the fact that not all flounders are bad, just not posts/threads that need to be part of permanent record. The permanent forums can be for threads and discussions that add to the knowledge base of the site, while the temporary relevence forum can be for whatever else is on our silly little minds. Posts and threads are put there without implying they smell “fishy.”[/quote]It was Ironman who suggested that phrase I wrote as a forum title! Surely we had better avoid something that looks so much like “NuTTeR” or instead of floundering, we’ll be nuttering all over the place which sounds even worse.

But yes, the main point is to choose a non-prejudicial title. Not really from some abstract idea of “lets all be nice” but more because it could help encourage considerate, selective posting habits.

Don’t know if it should only be interest that decides if something has a permanent home or not. Some threads enhance the knowledge base/ research tool aspect of this site. Others are great fun, but could be deleted after they fizzle out as they have no lasting use once all the laughs are over.

Don’t know if it should only be interest that decides if something has a permanent home or not. Some threads enhance the knowledge base/ research tool aspect of this site. Others are great fun, but could be deleted after they fizzle out as they have no lasting use once all the laughs are over.[/quote]
true, but interest can be determined by views as well as replies…and importance too.