Renewing ARC based on marriage. Documents needed?

Hi,

I am interested in knowing what documents need to be shown at the Foreign affairs police department in order to renew an ARC based on the JFRV residency visa.

Does a CCRD or a health certificate need to be shown? From looking at the link below, it appears all you need is a copy of your household registration and marriage certificate. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I thought I had read elsewhere on the discussion boards that you need a health certificate in order to renew your ARC based on marriage.

This link is for theApplication Procedures section of the National Police Administration Ministry of the Interior webpage.

Thanks,
Scott

According to what I understand, in order to renew an ARC, you have to show that your “purpose of residency” is still valid. If you are on an ARC based on marriage, then it would appear logical that you need a recent copy of your local spouse’s Household Registration record and a copy of his/her ID card (both sides). If your spouse has an ROC passport, then take a copy of that along too for good measure.

I remember that many years ago my ROC wife and I sometimes had to submit a statement saying that we were not planning to get divorced in the next few months, but I think that that requirement has now been eliminated!

I am not aware that you would need proof of a passing grade on a recent health exam in order to renew an ARC based on marriage. However, if the Police do decide to add this requirement, please send me a copy of the written regulation.

Yes you need a health document.

When I went to apply several months ago for my ARC at the police station, they told me after the frist year you have to get a new one for three years. They need a health check document from a specific hosptial. Which one, I don’t know. I asked but they never told me. You need to call the foriegn affairs police station wherever you live and ask them!

There are some other documents you need also, but I cannot remember, so call the police station!

Remember if you are in Taipei City you need to go to Taipei City’s police station, in Taipei County to Taipei County’s. etc…

Good luck.

I was wondering if any of the laws have changed recently.

My husband needs to renew his ARC and JFRV. Do we need to go to the Taipei MOFA to renew his JFRV and then go to Panchiao (Taipei county) to the Foreign Affairs police for his ARC and re-entry permit? Is it possible to apply for a new one from a TECO office? I realize I will have to have an updated Household Registration, but what else do I need? Thanks!

I went to the Taichung County office for my first years ARC based on marriage and asked about renewal. They told me that all I needed to show them was a household registration document. I asked if I needed another medical check and they said “no”.

I guess I will find out in a year if this is true or not - damn sure I won’t be leaving it till the last minute to renew.

You do NOT need a new medical certificate.

You only have to renew the ARC don’t you? AFAIK JFRVs are valid as long as you have a valid ARC.

Sorry, yes, the JFRV is fine. I didn’t look and now I see that it doesn’t have an expiry date on it, just an issue date.

I’ve also heard they aren’t allowing 3 year ARC’s anymore. I heard that the Panchiao office was denying them and only allowing 1 year ARC’s. I guess you can’t renew your ARC overseas, can you? I am heading out of Taiwan in the next 10 days and my husband will be staying here, but his ARC expires in the summer. We normally go together to do this stuff, as it’s easier. Besides, it would help his case seeing that I am 6 mos pregnant. It would be nice if we could renew it outside of Taiwan, somehow.

Thanks!

[quote=“crbkstiles”]Sorry, yes, the JFRV is fine. I didn’t look and now I see that it doesn’t have an expiry date on it, just an issue date.

I’ve also heard they aren’t allowing 3 year ARC’s anymore. I heard that the Panchiao (Banqiao) office was denying them and only allowing 1 year ARC’s. I guess you can’t renew your ARC overseas, can you? I am heading out of Taiwan in the next 10 days and my husband will be staying here, but his ARC expires in the summer. We normally go together to do this stuff, as it’s easier. Besides, it would help his case seeing that I am 6 mos pregnant. It would be nice if we could renew it outside of Taiwan, somehow.

Thanks![/quote]

The ARC will have to be in Taiwan when renewing. Talk to them and tell them your problem. It’s VERY important that you renew.

If they don’t want to give you a 3-year one, then get to Richard and file an administrative complaint. Any married foreigner who in the past has received a 3-year extension should have a good case. I plan to sue if it’s still an issue when I have to renew.

Odd, last taime I went to renew, I bought my passport, ARC photocopies of them and my wife’s household registration - that did the trick.

Thanks, we got a 3 year ARC last time, so they should give us another one. I will have to get this done this week, I guess.

Post here and tell us how it went. After all, rumor has that they aren’t so happy about giving out 3-year extensions any more.

I will…of course I have to pack for at least a 6 month haitus to the USA. Not sure how much can be accomplished in a week’s time.

It’s not a rumor. The Taipei County office recently refused to give me a three-year extension and would give me only one year. :x

I hope others have better luck there.

We went in on Friday. It wasn’t so bad. They gave us a two year extension, as my husband can apply for APRC after 2 more years. His ARC doesn’t expire til August, and they told us it was too early to renew. He had to write a letter that stated he would be out of the country. It took about 15 minutes and that was that. They needed one copy of my household registration, his passport and ARC, and a $1000NT for each year.

Guys:

I just renewed my ARC today, guess what? I supposed to get 3 yrs extension, but because my passport will expire in 2 yrs, that’s all
they could give me :cry:

But a good suggestion to everyone would be: always take your wife
with you :smiley: not only can help you fill the form in Chinese, but also cause a good impression and get longer extension

By the way, the same extension for my license… probably next time
I should report my password as lost, so I could get the 3 years, but it won’t be a big deal to go there once every 2 years, as they just charged $1000 per year anyway :sunglasses:

Cheers,

Hmm. You can change your passport and get the new number written on the back of your ARC, you know. They don’t, it seems.

I got a three year extension on my ARC today. Yippee. And my passport expires before the three years is up too. What they did was give me a three year extension but posted the date my passport expires on the ARC. When I get a new passport I bring it in to the office and they will give me the remaining 6 months on my ARC. Not bad.

So was I just lucky? Don’t know. But I took Chicadude’s advice and brought my wife.

When I went in this week, the lady freely admitted that the regulations are different in different places.

Here’s what you need to renew an ARC with a JFRV in Taipei City:

Original of your spouse’s household registration or a recent transcript
Passport
Application form
1000NT per year you want extension and they’ll give you up to 3 years

That’s all you need. You don’t need your spouse’s ID, medical certificate or anything like that.

If your spouse’s household registration is outside of Taipei City you’ll need a copy of the rental agreement for your Taipei City residence.

Brian

Bri, any idea where I can get a fake Taipei city rental agreement. The wink would normally go here.