Restaurant advice requested, 1 night in Taipei

I’m boarding the train soon and heading to the Xinyi Eslite to pick up a book and figured I’d stay for a nice meal. I don’t get to Taipei all that much so please give me your best suggestions for dinner.

I like most kinds of food. I’m not looking for Michelin star places, but I do have a credit card so no need for street stalls either. Tell me your favorites! :slightly_smiling_face:

To be fair, I think you need to provide some kind of preference.

Shin yeh - Address:5F, No. 11, Songshou Rd., Xinyi Dist., Taipei City (Shin Kong Mitsukoshi Xinyi Branch A11 Buildling)

But you need to make advance reservation.

1 Like

The Osteria by Angie in the Xinyi Breeze may be a good choice - somewhat higher end. (Better deal for workday lunches, though.)

EDIT: If you like Indian, maybe try Saffron 46 - up in the (other) Breeze building. I haven’t tried it yet. Good views for sure, so … um … perhaps not the best at night?

2 Likes

Fair enough. Mexican, burgers/steaks, Japanese tempura, Vietnamese… These are probably on the top of my list.

But anything GOOD will do.

In the area Mortons, Gordon Biersch, Ootoya, Hooters, The Diner, Papprich, Dim Dim Sum, Din Tai Feng… and all the food courts.

1 Like

Actually what may be useful is what kind of food you miss and can’t normally get in Taoyuan. I’m guessing, for example, the Japanese offerings aren’t that different in Taipei from what you can normally get.

I really miss good Mexican food. I like Eddie’s Cantina, any others?

@Nomad4ever

How about Nomad?

3 Likes

Numerous posters (EDIT, ha, including @Marco a few seconds before I posted this) have recommended this place (Facebook), which is probably more convenient for Xinyi than Eddy’s is:

More edit: do be careful about opening hours. Lots of places choose Monday as their day off. That likely won’t be an issue in the department stores, but will affect independent places.

2 Likes

GB鮮釀餐廳 - 台北信義店

110台北市信義區松壽路11號

1 Like

Nomad sounds great except I want to sit down and relax (inside). I’ll try them when I want a to go order.

2 mentions of Gordon Biersch, I’ve never been there but their menu looks good. And they’re open today. I might check them out.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

My suggestion were just places to consider near Eslite, not the best in Taipei.

If you want to sit down and relax with a wide-ranging menu and decent beer, Gordon Biersch is probably my favorite option in Taipei. Menu covers a big range; like lots of western places in Taiwan, somewhat overpriced. You can get better barbecue, better burgers, better pizza, better tacos at other places, for sure, but not all on the same menu. And unlike most of those places with better food, you can also sit with another drink or two afterwards and not feel out of place.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Unfortunately, I often run across the problem of restaurants not really set up for single customers, but Western style places are always one-customer friendly.