Richart - The first almost/kinda/marginally/minuscularly foreigner friendly bank

Yeah, it’s weird, but isn’t it just Chinglish, or that thing where they thought it’d look nice to have a couple of English words on the front of the card? Maybe they didn’t bother asking their English speaker(s) to check that bit…

I think my E.SUN credit card is also a „business card“. I suspect it might have something to do with fees, so banks will rather issue business cards than regular cards. Just a theory, though.

I also had a business card from curve UK and apparently that allowed curve to charge slightly higher fees from the merchants you shop with. so this means more revenue for curve.

1 Like

Do you really trust it that much? I don’t trust any digital bank with more than a few hundred USD, espeically not a brand new one, in Taiwan no less, the epicentre of shit banking.

1 Like

As much as a trust any other bank here, they are run by Taishin which is a major bank here. I just mean it will be my main account day to day throw my salary in there, transfer any savings overseas using the account.

All my purchases are paid for by credit card

I keep most of my money in Australia. My main bank in Australia is fully digital; ING.

1 Like

Got a call back today. So this ‘feature’ of adding the account to Easy Wallet is not available yet. There is no ETA.
Amy asked me to use some other payment feature.

This was a nice pass for my next question. Card can not be added to Google Pay.

Google Pay might be available in March… :hourglass_flowing_sand:

Take a break fellas!

1 Like

Being it a fully licenced bank, it needs to satisfy all the requirements as all the other traditional banks. All the funds are guaranteed by the same scheme as the traditional banks.

No bank is 100% safe, but according to your reasoning, you should leave max the same few hundreds dollars in any bank.

1 Like

Isn’t richart just a brand under the taishin bank, because the bank code for richard is 812 (same as taishin)?
so mobile only is relative, you can always go to a branch to do your banking and taishin is also responsible to uphold all regulatory requirements etc.

1 Like

Well, it is basically just a product of taishin, not an indipendent institution.

I applied Wednesday 1/11… no news yet.
Just got a confirmation email that I applied.
All the questions were integrated in the application.
The code EXPAT is no longer usable.

1 Like

Many thanks to those who have contributed to the google doc. I’ve started cleaning and adding a little bit of Chinese. This is perfect. Will definitely present this to relevant people on Monday.

8 Likes

Curious if this bank could be useful for my leaving-Taiwan bank. I’m expecting to receive a rental deposit refund from my landlord after I leave, and then want to transfer that money and close the account from overseas.

Does there seem to be a way to close the account online, without going to a branch?

Has anyone tried this overseas or via VPN, does it look like all the functionality works from abroad including wire transfers?

Thanks.

:pray:

Not really answering your question as I don’t know but you can just get the deposit put in your current account when you leave, then get the cash from the ATM and just abandon the account as Taiwan banks doesn’t charge fees for inactive accounts.
Just make sure the bank correctly turns on international withdrawl access

1 Like

If anyone is interested, apparently outward international SWIFT transfers in currencies other than USD is a current work in progress :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Was looking forward to Richart, but since my ARC is issued yearly based, I won’t be able to apply untill later this year when I renew my card (and hopefully get it before it’s valid less than 1 year).

As I changed my address last month, the issue date follow the re-issued card and expiry date become less than a year.

Mines only valid for another 11 months and I didn’t get that.
I’m going to bank try and authorise tomorrow so find out then!

Ridiculously, financial regulations here distinguish between ARCs with a total validity period of less than a year, and those with more. The former is considered to be a temporary worker, or something. We had to deal with that at my last job.

I guess getting a reissued ARC for a new address is kind of a reverse loophole.

Is that why my application has no response yet. Valid till this May.

I remember it does say pretty clearly that you need at least 1 year remaining - didn’t you see that?

Mine expires in March, which is why I didn’t apply yet.

1 Like