Riding from Puli to Hehuanshan (Wuling)

I’m thinking about doing this ride within the next 6 weeks, so it would hopefully be no later than the middle of September. If I were to leave Puli in the early morning and try to time it so that I arrive at Wuling (at the top of Hehuanshan) in the middle of the day, just how cold do you think it would be? I would try to do this ride only when good weather is predicted, although I know that the weather can change quickly. If it’s the middle of the day in September, for instance, would it get really cold up there? I’m thinking I could take a long sleeved jersey, another long sleeved inner shirt, and a windbreaker. Would that be enough? I’d like to travel light if possible. I could always stop and do calisthenics to warm up if I’m freezing my butt off on the descent.

Any recommendations on where to stay in Puli? I saw a place online and when I called they said I could stay in my own private room for 700NT/night, which sounds great, but if anybody has a place to recommend, I’d appreciate it. I’m choosing Puli to stay in because there are buses leaving Taipei Main Station that go to Puli, which puts me close to Hehuanshan.

Thanks for any advice. I’d really like to say that I was able to make it up all the way to Wuling, and I’m looking forward to the challenge. I’ve done the Northern Cross Highway from Taipei to Yilan City in a single day, so I feel that I’m up to the challenge of riding from Puli to Wuling.

I rode from Puli to Hehuanshan about 4 weeks ago. I left Puli just after 6am, and only wore shorts, short-sleeve jersey, and arm-warmers for most of the ascent. I added leg-warmers for the last 500m or so of elevation gain, mainly because it got chilly riding through the cloud layer. I had a thin rain jacket with me, and I think I wore that for the descent (to Hualien in my case). According to my garmin it was about 23C when I left Puli, and similar at the top. The coldest temperature it recorded was 21C, which was on the descent. I usually wear finger-less gloves, but chose full finger gloves for this.
I went by train to Changhua, then cycled to Puli. The weather forecast was sunny for the whole of Taiwan, but I got soaked in 2 showers on that ride. Thankfully the weather was much better for the climb the next day. In Puli I stayed at the West hotel, decent, but about $1500 for the night.

Thank you so much, march. That’s very helpful.

I guess I should be alright as long as the weather stays good, but I’ll try prepare for somewhat less-optimal conditions. This will be my first ride requiring me to spend a night away from home, so I’m looking forward to trying something different.

Yeah it’s a descent in sub-optimal conditions you want to prepare for. Full finger gloves for sure. I’d throw in a thin thermal base layer just to be on the safe side.
If you’re turning around and returning to Puli, and it’s a weekend, watch-out for those ascending day-trippers. That road can get congested, especially near the top (Wuling) and around Qingjing.

Actually, with Taroko being closed at the moment, I suppose there’s no through to Hualien anyway.

I think I was lucky with the weather, and to be honest I was prepared to turn round and abandon the effort if it turned bad. I don’t fancy the mountains in the rain, and I’d be pissed if I didn’t get a good view after cycling all the way up there.
I went on a Friday, and was surprised with the amount of traffic. Lots of gravel trucks and coaches between Puli and the reservoir at Renai - I can understand why so many people start their ride from qingjing. Even on a Friday, there were a lot of day-trippers on the upper slopes, not that they caused me any trouble, but for sure you’d need to exercise caution on the way down.

I’ve been in snow on top in late September. Be prepared. Nasty weather possible all year round.

Thanks again, gents. I’ve not been above 1300 meters before on a bike, so this will definitely be a new experience for me. I’m also hoping I do well with the lower oxygen levels up there. Any tips regarding the altitude? I’m guessing taking it slow is probably the best way to go if breathing becomes a problem.

Just take it slow, and ride within yourself: never try to push into the red zone, as it only gets harder. Noticeable effects of oxygen lack really start above 2500 m, but the road has already had lots of steep 12% ramps before then. The surface is pretty bad in some places higher up, and the edges are dangerous. Watch for out-of-control vehicles descending against you, taking your line around corners.

Stop for breaks and walk up the hardest ramps if you want to, especially if your heart rate is spiking close to your maximum. Dress warm for the descent, and remember that you will get very tired hands from braking continuously.

and have fun…

Thanks again. I’m hoping I’ll be okay in the altitude. I was fine when I hiked Yushan many years ago, but that doesn’t necessarily count for much. I’m definitely not going to race up the mountain, or down the mountain for that matter.

I just discovered that the CWB has forecasts for Hehuanshan. I didn’t realize it’d be a popular enough place to warrant that. It looks pretty frigid up there, but at least I know a little more about what I’m up against.
cwb.gov.tw/eng/forecast/week/travel.htm

satincesena.net/fall-he-huan … ng-spirit/

michaelturton.blogspot.com/2013/ … nshan.html

some blogs about it.

I’m planing to do a similar ride during the last week of August. Starting off in Taichung over the 136 to Puli. Then from Puli to Ren-ai township, rest the night, climb to the top and down to Hualien. I’m looking for recommendations on hostels or cheap hotels $1000 or so in Ren-ai township or nearby. All I can find on the internet seam to be quite expensive. Thanks for any recommendations in advance.

Sunday night I stayed at a cheap hostel in Puli, and Monday morning got an early start at around 4:15am to ride up to Wuling on Hehuanshan. It took me about 6 hours and 40 minutes to the summit of the road at 3275 meters, including resting time. I took a slow and easy pace throughout the whole way up. The ride started off well, but it got really tough at around 3000m in elevation, which thankfully was not far from the summit. I was close to my limit near the end. The altitude really got to me, and I had to rest a lot at the top. Still, it feels good to have finished the ride. The weather was near perfect. The forecast said it would be around 25 degrees Celsius at Wuling on Monday, and that seemed to be pretty accurate. There were very few clouds in the sky, and none of them were near me to provide relief from the sun. I’d actually say it was a little too sunny and warm, but I’d rather have that than freezing cold. I had taken warm clothing, but didn’t end up needing any of it. The descent was somewhat cool the first 10 minutes, but not bad enough to make me get out my jacket.

Thanks to everybody for their advice and suggestions. I’m really happy to be able to scratch this ride off of my bucket list. The scenery over there is also outstanding. I ended up taking Monday off from work due to the great weather that was forecast, and I’m glad that I did.

[quote=“scomargo”]Sunday night I stayed at a cheap hostel in Puli, and Monday morning got an early start at around 4:15am to ride up to Wuling on Hehuanshan. It took me about 6 hours and 40 minutes to the summit of the road at 3275 meters, including resting time. I took a slow and easy pace throughout the whole way up. The ride started off well, but it got really tough at around 3000m in elevation, which thankfully was not far from the summit. I was close to my limit near the end. The altitude really got to me, and I had to rest a lot at the top. Still, it feels good to have finished the ride. The weather was near perfect. The forecast said it would be around 25 degrees Celsius at Wuling on Monday, and that seemed to be pretty accurate. There were very few clouds in the sky, and none of them were near me to provide relief from the sun. I’d actually say it was a little too sunny and warm, but I’d rather have that than freezing cold. I had taken warm clothing, but didn’t end up needing any of it. The descent was somewhat cool the first 10 minutes, but not bad enough to make me get out my jacket.

Thanks to everybody for their advice and suggestions. I’m really happy to be able to scratch this ride off of my bucket list. The scenery over there is also outstanding. I ended up taking Monday off from work due to the great weather that was forecast, and I’m glad that I did.[/quote]

Great job. Well done!

That’s wonderful! Congrats! Altitude really kicks one in the gut. It’s my one fear about doing that climb.

Honestly, the ride was not bad at all aside from the altitude. The climbs were not overly steep in any one spot, although the top third of the mountain does seem to have steeper grades than the lower part. I knew about the altitude problem, but there wasn’t much I could do to prepare for it. I just had to keep getting on the bike and trying to make it. I was starting to freak out near the top at around 3000 meters because I thought I still had about 8 km left to go and I was really struggling, but in reality I was only 3 km away from the summit. You don’t know how happy I was to see the summit come up sooner than I thought it would. Knowing what kilometer marker you’re shooting for on the 14甲 (the 31 km marker, I believe) is helpful, at least for me.

[quote=“scomargo”]Sunday night I stayed at a cheap hostel in Puli, and Monday morning got an early start at around 4:15am to ride up to Wuling on Hehuanshan. It took me about 6 hours and 40 minutes to the summit of the road at 3275 meters, including resting time. I took a slow and easy pace throughout the whole way up. The ride started off well, but it got really tough at around 3000m in elevation, which thankfully was not far from the summit. I was close to my limit near the end. The altitude really got to me, and I had to rest a lot at the top. Still, it feels good to have finished the ride. The weather was near perfect. The forecast said it would be around 25 degrees Celsius at Wuling on Monday, and that seemed to be pretty accurate. There were very few clouds in the sky, and none of them were near me to provide relief from the sun. I’d actually say it was a little too sunny and warm, but I’d rather have that than freezing cold. I had taken warm clothing, but didn’t end up needing any of it. The descent was somewhat cool the first 10 minutes, but not bad enough to make me get out my jacket.

Thanks to everybody for their advice and suggestions. I’m really happy to be able to scratch this ride off of my bucket list. The scenery over there is also outstanding. I ended up taking Monday off from work due to the great weather that was forecast, and I’m glad that I did.[/quote]

Wow, what a great accomplishment. Congrats!