Rifat interviews foreigners on Taiwan building structure.

This is funny.
https://youtu.be/DYjhSuc7t6o

I think ethnic Chinese are notorious for not taking care of stuff. In Vancouver, uber rich Hong Kongers piss off their neighbors by building monstrosities and converting their lawns to cement.

Yeah, as opposed to British colonists in Vancouver, who made no changes at all to indigenous land. Physicians, heal thyself.

Guy

Hongkongese are weird about that, they enjoy hiking and the outdoors. But, when it comes to their homes(even in wealthy areas) often all open space such as lawns, balcony’s and roof tops are either turned in to illegal extra rooms or concreted over.

1 Like

Sorry for grabbing the (race) bait and going off topic.

The video has nothing to do with HK people or with Vancouver. It’s all about Taiwan and its built environment as viewed by a Korean, a Canadian, a Japanese, a Ukrainian, and a Hungarian (I think). Is there some consensus here? What would make Taiwan’s built environment more appealing?

Guy

The smell of freshly mowed/cut grass on a near daily basis.

The environment is cool as it is, no need to make changes.

More trees. More plants. More green structures. Remove the tie pi wus = favela like dwellings not suitable for pigs, least of all peple. Enforce building codes so people live safely and decently.

8 Likes

More trees, rivers. Decent parks with actual space (not including the river parks, those are good)
Ban corrugated iron on apartments( and enforce). Ban rooftop additions. Ban those ugly ass huge signs covering windows and sometimes huge sections of buildings.
Ban (and enforce) scooter parking.
Ban beige or brown tiles.
Ban claw games.
That would be a good start.

2 Likes

Ban the horrible prison like bars on everything including the schools.
Paint up the place .
Knock down most of the old crap.
Widen pavements.
Stop parking on pavements.
Knock down all illegal tiepi Wu structures .
But totally agree more trees (and not the scraggly ass things they often call trees here) and plants would be a great start a lot of the roads are austere and there isn’t any shade.

3 Likes

Double jeopardy, eh? Kick out the natives, then face HK people buying up your property and turning your neighborhood into one huge slab of concrete.

I’m Taiwanese and I wasn’t belittling HK. Just suggesting there may be cultural reasons to get Taiwanese don’t take care of their buildings.

You missed sidewalks and grade-separated bike lanes with separate signals.

Looks like episode numero 52967201814610436 of WTO sister show.

Structural integrity/safety/quality>aesthetics.

True, but they are not mutually exclusive. And while newer Taiwanese buildings tend to do well on structural integrity and built-in safety, overall built quality is questionable (lack of insulation, water leakage even in new buildings, single glazing) and safety gets impaired by illegal retrofits and blocking of evacuation paths.

3 Likes

Maybe start a “Paint Taiwan” volunteer project.

exactly, the window cages are not safe either. the quality is better than china but its not great. and fails to protect from hot and cold. that part was skipped.

Window cages need emergency exit. I prefer window cages than windows alone, seeing stuff like air conditioners and water tanks flying around in typhoons.

The most obvious point wasn’t even mentioned, shows you how many issues there are with housing here.

Main benefit of Taiwan housing is…It’s cheap if you rent it.

1 Like

true there is a lot. the video was ok, not too detailed. i think people just need to be direct about the housing/ driving. no need to be polite about it, its a shambles.

1 Like

It should be cheap, there is no quality. Having done construction here I am terrified of living in some places. Single floor for me thanks.

In Taiwan, if you wantTit do e right, do it yourself. Housing especially.