RIP Bob Probert

Here’s another one, for anyone interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkudhz2YhWA&feature=related

Bob Probert and Tie Domi had countless encounters on the ice throughout their careers. Domi, despite his size,was a young gun who laid claim to being the toughest guy in the league and went after Probert every chance he got. Probert never backed down and usually came out holding his own. It’s a little sad actually, because later in his career, every team had a young tough guy that wanted a shot at him.

RIP, Bobby P.

I’ve seen way better fights and punch ups in Rugby Union and especially Rugby League, but I’ll say this; that they’re smacking each other, on ice, wearing ice-skates… Respect. That can’t be easy. :thumbsup:

I enjoyed the videos.

RIP Mr. Probert. :bow:

:laughing: Yeps and no sportsmanship :thumbsdown:

I don’t know enough about hockey (or fighting, for that matter) to assess the fight, but he seems pretty frisky to me:

[quote]Four officers intervened when Probert got out of the car and tried to start a fight with one of the men, according to a report. He then fought with the officers and refused their orders to drop to the ground, the report said.

As two of the officers struggled to handcuff Probert, Officer Thomas Tolbert shot him with a Taser gun and he fell backward. But Probert resisted their efforts when they tried to handcuff him, so Tolbert used the Taser to stun Probert several more times. The gun shoots barbed probes that give the recipient a usually non-lethal but incapacitating shock.

After Probert was shocked, officers handcuffed him and took him into custody.

“He was so combative in our jail that we didn’t take a booking photo of him because we didn’t want to struggle with him again out of handcuffs,” police spokesman Jeff Messer said.

Probert, who listed his alias as “The Bad One” on booking documents, was charged with battery on a law enforcement officer, resisting arrest with violence and disorderly conduct. [/quote]
usatoday.com/sports/hockey/n … sted_x.htm

In this pic he looks like he’s about to say, “Stop lookin’ at me like ya don’ love me!” :laughing:
piloseo.com/wp-admin/images/bob-probert.jpg

RIP, Mr. Probert

Well, they knock the socks off the handbags at 12 paces you get in football (soccer). In my view it’s only to be respected that they follow unwritten rules such as dropping their sticks before getting stuck in. Looks like a real man’s sport to me. All credit and RIP to the gentleman.

But WHY? They want to damage the other fellow, don’t they? DON’T they? Otherwise, why bother, other than for the crowd-pleasing/daft clown aspect? Entertainment, nothing more. Show. Bollocks. Pansies. Saturday afternoon wrestling on ice.

Yup, you’re right about that, CJ. I’m just thinking that, with the double holiday weekend in Canada and the States this past weekend, that the autopsy will turn up a pretty obvious reason for those chest pains he complained about before collapsing on that boat.

Sad news, because although he definitely had his shining moments on the ice, he also confronted some demons off it.

Mitch Albom, who wrote Tuesdays With Morrie and Five People You Meet In Heaven, has a pretty touching elegy here: freep.com/article/20100705/COL01/100705037

But WHY? They want to damage the other fellow, don’t they? DON’T they? Otherwise, why bother, other than for the crowd-pleasing/daft clown aspect? Entertainment, nothing more. Show. Bollocks. Pansies. Saturday afternoon wrestling on ice.[/quote]
Beware, O ray of sunshine, lest you melt the ice.

But WHY? They want to damage the other fellow, don’t they? DON’T they? Otherwise, why bother, other than for the crowd-pleasing/daft clown aspect? Entertainment, nothing more. Show. Bollocks. Pansies. Saturday afternoon wrestling on ice.[/quote]

But it’s entertaining, ain’t it?

Hollywood

Real stuff

Bob’s in that highlight reel a few times. Easy to pick him out at the end. He’s the big, tall guy in red or white, who just stands there, arm outstretched, jerking the poor sucker he’s tangling with back and forth into his fist.
If the World Cup athletes were half as tough as Probert, there’d be no diving. I might actually watch.

Yeah, Mr Jaboney. And it’s a CONTACT sport. There are precious few of those around anymore. :2cents:

Fair enough, Sandman: You’re entitled to your opinion. Perhaps some of us who play and follow the sport respect the fact that, in a contact sport where agression runs high, the players are given an avenue to settle their differences within the rules of the game. I mean, I look at other sports where guys get their eyes gouged or their ears bitten in the scrum, or where one player might stomp anothers calf with a cleat and think that there might just be a little more sense in a highly physical sport that allows two guys to settle disputes quickly and resolutely in a controlled manner while knowing full well what the penalty will be.

Someone mentioned about how they call each other out and drop their sticks and gloves. The reason being, that if you go after a guy without doing so, you’ll get nabbed with being the instigator and put your team at a disadvantage with penalties assessed. You might think it’s hijinks and entertainment, but I’d say it’s two guys who have a problem with each other who are making sure that they don’t put their teams at a disadvantage later in the game. :whistle:

[quote=“citizen k”]Sad news, because although he definitely had his shining moments on the ice, he also confronted some demons off it.[/quote] Yeah, I read a little about it tonight. That’s sad. He had a lot of spirit.

[quote=“citizen k”]Mitch Albom, who wrote Tuesdays With Morrie and Five People You Meet In Heaven, has a pretty touching elegy here: freep.com/article/20100705/COL01/100705037[/quote] I just read it. Great article.

[quote=“sandman”]LOOK at those guys, for heaven’s sake! They’re animals. If they really wanted to damage each other they could do so easily – two thugs with sharp blades strapped to their feet. Instead, they just ponce about like a couple of pansies.
PANSIES! Bloody PANSIES! :laughing:[/quote]

Second approach from a different angle this time, just in case you are serious about the above: How do you feel about a guy who takes a switchblade or a baseball bat to a fistfight? Not kosher, right? :wink:

:laughing: Yeps and no sportsmanship :thumbsdown:[/quote]

Oh for crying out loud. :unamused:
Clean hits and cheap shots are two completely different things.

Fair enough, Sandman: You’re entitled to your opinion. Perhaps some of us who play and follow the sport respect the fact that, in a contact sport where agression runs high, the players are given an avenue to settle their differences within the rules of the game. I mean, I look at other sports where guys get their eyes gouged or their ears bitten in the scrum, or where one player might stomp anothers calf with a cleat and think that there might just be a little more sense in a highly physical sport that allows two guys to settle disputes quickly and resolutely in a controlled manner while knowing full well what the penalty will be.

Someone mentioned about how they call each other out and drop their sticks and gloves. The reason being, that if you go after a guy without doing so, you’ll get nabbed with being the instigator and put your team at a disadvantage with penalties assessed. You might think it’s hijinks and entertainment, but I’d say it’s two guys who have a problem with each other who are making sure that they don’t put their teams at a disadvantage later in the game. :whistle:[/quote]

Give up on the girls and English people, k, they can’t/won’t get it.
We love our goons, and he was one of the best.

Too bad he got sent off for the last time at such a young age.

Two pages on a dead hockey fucking player. I try to discuss legacies on dead politicians and it gets quickly segregated to IP. Shouldn’t these pages of posts be separated and put in Sports?What a Canadian-biased forum. :laughing: :wink:

I played hockey for 10 years and played it damn well (Div 2 out of 8), but in my opinion, football (gridiron) and rugby are sports that require real physical toughness, not just holding hands and serenading on the ice. :laughing: But they also require brains, especially rugby.

As classy as ever.

[quote=“Chewycorns”]Two pages on a dead hockey fucking player. I try to discuss legacies on dead politicians and it gets quickly segregated to IP. Shouldn’t these pages of posts be separated and put in Sports?What a Canadian-biased forum. :laughing: :wink:

I played hockey for 10 years and played it damn well (Div 2 out of 8), but in my opinion, football (gridiron) and rugby are sports that require real physical toughness, not just holding hands and serenading on the ice. :laughing: But they also require brains, especially rugby.[/quote]

Considering you think politicians are worth remembering, your view of sports isn’t worth a damn

As classy as ever.[/quote]

Care to address the issue brought up (hockey vs. football/rugby) or uneven splitting of posts in Morgue instead of making a cheap shot?

Seriously though, shouldn’t all legacy discussions be kept inside the Morgue thread or moved to the appropriate thread? Right now it seems as if political discussions will be split, but popular Canadian hockey players are ok to discuss and argue about?

Regarding the ‘classy as ever’ comment–aren’t the worst manners of all, at least according to polite, affluent and polished society, to comment on someone else’s bad manners?

I mean other posters call hockey players pussies and clowns on this thread, but you’re only calling my comment out as being classless and offside? :laughing:

Again, why not split this thread into Sports?

[quote=“citizen k”][quote=“sandman”]LOOK at those guys, for heaven’s sake! They’re animals. If they really wanted to damage each other they could do so easily – two thugs with sharp blades strapped to their feet. Instead, they just ponce about like a couple of pansies.
PANSIES! Bloody PANSIES! :laughing:[/quote]

Second approach from a different angle this time, just in case you are serious about the above: How do you feel about a guy who takes a switchblade or a baseball bat to a fistfight? Not kosher, right? :wink:[/quote]
He’s the smart one. You go into a fight to win. That simple. Any means possible. If you’re really such a twat that you have to resort to violence, then DO the fucking BUSINESS. Fast and quick and with the least possible chance of coming off worse. Otherwise its just fucking Gladiators on the TV. Show. Clowns. Entertainment. Is the sport REALLY so goddamn BORING that you have to resort to that kind of crap to keep the gate figures up? (I played peewee hockey for years, so you don’t need to answer that one. Gave up when the ski club refused to insure any of the kids who played hockey. Best move I EVER made.)

As classy as ever.[/quote]

Care to address the issue brought up (hockey vs. football/rugby) or uneven splitting of posts in Morgue instead of making a cheap shot?

Seriously though, shouldn’t all legacy discussions be kept inside the Morgue thread or moved to the appropriate thread? Right now it seems as if political discussions will be split, but popular Canadian hockey players are ok to discuss and argue about?

Regarding the ‘classy as ever’ comment–aren’t the worst manners of all, at least according to polite, affluent and polished society, to comment on someone else’s bad manners?

I mean other posters call hockey players pussies and clowns on this thread, but you’re only calling my comment out as being classless and offside? :laughing:[/quote]
Hey! EYE got called classless and offside when I snickered at that dead Michael Jackson dude.