RIP Visa-Free Runners (2012-2020)

How was the call to TECO ? How long did it take to get your answer? Just curious

You can certainly attempt for the Gold Card. Or, perhaps just apply for jobs here and get accepted into a position for work here and then study as you work.

The second option is not doable.

My goal for Taiwan is to be there for study full-time, I would not leave an highly paid job to come to do a low paid job (because without Mandarin I cannot do the job I do right now, so I would probably have to resort to whatever can give me a visa asap) and study Mandarin on a side.

Will try for the Gold Card I guess, I doubt it will go through easily tho, specially since I do not have the support of my current company… haha

Or who knows, they might reopen the visa for students maybe from July, let’s see.

What about working holiday? Is your country eligible? Can I ask where you are located so I can provide a better answer?

No way to do working holiday.
I have an Italian passport, but I am based out of Singapore.

https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-56-5608-f0721-1.html

Another 30 day extension granted to visa runners.

So if you entered in early March, this should take you all the way to September when the program will resume.

I’m UK passport on a extension until 28 August, pondering?
Maybe be possible to sign myself up to college course learning Mandarin starting September, so I can leave and then come back for college course.
I Read ‘Dtan’ post: " no chance, at least for the time being, to get a Student Visa" same apply for this situation?

How would you come back? As of right now, visas are not being issued for students. So you’d have no basis for being allowed in.

Yes I see what I have said, I can’t get one now, hopefully be available in August - September.
Sorry I wasn’t thinking straight.

I think The student Option Is off the table.

"Chuang pointed out that the Taiwanese government is planning to apply different restrictions for travelers based on their countries of departure. He explained that visitors from “extremely low-risk” countries, such as New Zealand and Palau, would only be asked to self-monitor their health while those from “low-risk” countries like Vietnam and Brunei will be subject to a five-day quarantine.

Chuang said the risk labels for the countries would be adjusted regularly based on the development of their pandemic situation. He added that the CECC is seeking bilateral agreements with other countries to introduce similar travel restrictions for citizens from both sides, reported UDN."

Lifelife for Visa Runners. Note how it says “country of departure” not “country of passport”.

That way an American national could take a trip down to Vietnam and be treated as if they are coming back from Vietnam (low risk) versus the US (high risk).

4 Likes

There is a Stanford study on quarantine length that will take 1000 Bay Area residents to Taiwan in June. Not sure if this will let people who don’t already have permission to enter under the new restrictions (e.g. ARC #/passport holders only), but if it does, it could be another way for people to enter - volunteer for the study. Since it’s being done in conjunction with the cooperation of the government I’d assume they may give special entry permission. I signed up for the mailing list to see more info in this, just out of curiosity

I would stay, no way you’ll make 160K in Taiwan.

Nooooooooo!!!

1 Like

It’s not unheard of to make 100-200k a month in Taiwan, but you’d have to be doing something exceptionally useful for TSMC, or something along those lines.

However, if you can bring your work with you (as in work remotely) you’d have an incredibly advantageous situation. Lower cost of living, tax free cash. Would be good times.

Chabuduo

1 Like

Unfortunately it is not my case.
If I could bring my job around, I would have done it already and I would really have a very easy life in Taiwan, but if I move, it would be without my job and just to study Mandarin.

Whatever comes after, I need to cross my fingers will allow me to get more than 120-140.000 to make it viable, but who knows, it does not matter now.
It is already more tricky than expected to get this Gold Card.

I guess one step at the time, let’s see.

You don’t necessarily need to get the Gold Card to enter. Even during Covid, you can enter if you have a pending job offer. You can qualify for a work permit if you have a degree + 2 yrs Exp, of 5 yrs Exp, so I wouldn’t worry about that.

Here are some job listings that would be around the 1.5-2M/yr mark:

1 Like

Last time I checked, Taiwan also levies income taxes.

1 Like

I am getting the GoldCard just to come to study Mandarin since they do not issue any visa at the moment, apart from very rare cases.
I appreciate the help, but I am not looking for a job until end of 2021! :slight_smile: