Road accident stats

Reading this forum I see most are as horrified as I about Taiwan traffic. I was wondering if anyone knows of a possible source of statistics on traffic accidents. My assumption is that minor accidents are grossly under-reported resulting in most people being unaware of the real consequences of the way of driving. That deaths are lower due to lower speeds in general is one saving I guess.

Safe driving,

Michael

[quote=“michaelw”]Reading this forum I see most are as horrified as I about Taiwan traffic. I was wondering if anyone knows of a possible source of statistics on traffic accidents. My assumption is that minor accidents are grossly under-reported resulting in most people being unaware of the real consequences of the way of driving. That deaths are lower due to lower speeds in general is one saving I guess.

Safe driving,

Michael[/quote]Welcome Michael!
A lot of things have been discussed on Forumosa previously; it’s usually worth doing a search. The information and viewpoints in this two threads should be of interest;

Canada vs Taiwan: daily traffic fatalities
[Canada vs Taiwan: daily traffic fatalities

Australia has more accidents than Taiwan
[Australia has more accidents than Taiwan

Thanks for the links - it seems the traffic issue has been talked out and the consensus is that the stats are worthless. I was wondering if any schools or hospitals have done surveys - I’m sure the results would be surprising/horrifying.

I walk my daughter to and from school most days and get the shakes when I see young kids running across roads in front of the lunatic drivers around. I saved one young girl from being run down as a car reversed at speed over a crossing. As I berated the driver a policeman stopped and his only comment was, ‘she’s not hurt so no problem’. So much for reporting or caring about idiot behaviour!

Does anyone know of a community group that might be concerned about this issue?

My co-moderator MJB is a volunteer crossing guard at his daughter’s school. Read his heartening post here;
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 086#181086](Unoffical traffic cops

This has to be the way to go. Not much we can do about the general state of traffic safety education, driver training and law enforcement. But what MJB does has a real effect on his local community. And when people see things working well in one place perhaps they’ll want to do the same in another place, and another…