Roboman waiter-server at Lees hotel Kao, anywhere else

In my experience the best taiwanese food is located in an alley somewhere, not in a major mall. Malls are good for chains like McDonald’s where the price and food is more or less consistent

maybe they need open it up people who need it if is for public use

maybe no targets in your area, so is good

1 Like

That’d make sense, and I hope that’s what the plan (?) is. I wonder if that kind of information is communicated at all. I also wonder how many people in the building actually know how to open the electric shutter when the power is off.

@Marco, maybe the different discussion here, starting with the post above about bomb shelter notices, should be separated out in a different thread? (There was a useful picture in that post before, but it seems to be gone/broken now.)

1 Like

Yeah, I was walking around Taipei (Zhongshan station) during my recent tourist visit, and noticed several buildings with these notices. I was wondering if it was a recent trend – based on this thread, it seems like it is.

2 Likes

It sounds like a few of us have had similar reactions: “Wait, is that new, or has it always been there?!”

I was thinking about posting a picture of the sign that I saw, but then had second thoughts after seeing that the street address is right above the sign. Not sure if the bomb shelter locations are public information – if not, maybe better not to post a picture.

Anyway, checking the picture I took, I see that there was a SECOM security intercom installed at the entrance of the building that is supposed to serve as the bomb shelter – so presumably the building is normally locked and only someone on the inside can operate the security intercom and open the door. Again this raises the question of how these locations will actually be used in the event they are needed in practice.

2 Likes

Indeed - an emergency shelter system reliant on a steady electrical power supply doesn’t exactly seem like a good idea. But I hope that’s not what’s going on.

1 Like

It seems there are some civil exercises these few weeks, so all those notices are a part of it.

1 Like

I could imagine, theoretically, there might be a kind of nationwide alert system (sending, for example, an SMS to all phones to alert of an imminent or in-progress attack), which then would be required to be connected to the security door of any location designated as a bomb shelter, such that upon reception of the appropriate alert, the door would then be automatically opened.

I have no idea if it’s reasonable to expect such a system to have been implemented at all bomb shelter locations.

I suppose there might be some specification manual for bomb shelters which says something like “either an automatic door opening system, or a human attendant must be in place to open the door in case of emergency”, with 99.9% of locations defaulting to the “human attendant” mode of operation – which, of course, can quite easily fail if an actual attack were to occur and people, including the human attendant, are panicking. As a cost-cutting measure, one could even imagine that the human attendant might not even be on site at all times, which would be quite useless in the event of a sudden attack. (Of course, an automated SMS system is not foolproof either, as communications infrastructure, or power infrastructure as you hinted at, would be one of the first likely targets of a real attack.)

But I am interested in how the system is actually supposed to work. I did some digging on the web but haven’t found much information yet.

1 Like

Thanks; that’s interesting to know. It could be interesting to observe such an exercise in practice and to see when and how the normally-locked doors (on the bomb shelters in private, locked buildings) are opened. If they are propped open the whole day for the exercise, that’s a bad sign (indicating a lack of preparedness to open the doors suddenly in case of attack), but if they open automatically or at least in an orderly fashion (with some knowledgeable-looking human attendant calmly performing procedures according to some checklist), that might be a better sign.

More than 200 air-raid shelters are still extant in Kaohsiung, including over 50 on the slopes of Shoushan. These now draw curious visitors and have become an unexpected tourist attraction.
linko: https://kcginfo.kcg.gov.tw/Publish_Content.aspx?n=A22859B204186560&sms=6A6B57F5FE966020&s=DCFA909A9B792355&chapt=11642&sort=1

3 Likes

here is photo, near the Roboman waiter server place.

2 Likes

Question is, why does the robot server have a cat face?

A cat to Taiwanese is cute! A human looking one, maybe scary to some, or its male some will ask why not female robot, ect. CAT is safe choice.

2 Likes

cats also don’t obey orders.

and humans do? humans would be worse pet than a cat

1 Like

You can reason with a human, you can’t reason with a cat.

well, cats can learn, like when is dinner time every day. Will come and tell you.

2 Likes