"ROC nationals shall lose their ROC nationality if they are married to a foreign national"

So I was reading the Nationality Act, as you do, and stumbled upon this gem of an article. Does @tando or any of the other members of the Forumosa Legal Aid Foundation want to have a go at explaining this one?

3 Likes

The “approval” makes me think It could be referring to renunciation of citizenship.

1 Like

You might be right, it seems like it is about renouncing.

Here is the Chinese:

中華民國國民有下列各款情形之一者,經內政部許可,喪失中華民國國籍:
一、由外國籍父、母、養父或養母行使負擔權利義務或監護之無行為能力人或限制行為能力人,為取得同一國籍且隨同至中華民國領域外生活。
二、為外國人之配偶。
三、依中華民國法律有行為能力,自願取得外國國籍。但受輔助宣告者,應得其輔助人之同意。依前項規定喪失中華民國國籍者,其未婚未成年子女,經內政部許可,隨同喪失中華民國國籍。

That means you MAY renounce your citizenship, if the MOI approves of it, if those 3 applies to you.

MOI will not let you let go of citizenship if you are of conscription age and have not served.

2 Likes

That is a terrible translation then.

They should change ‘shall lose’ to ‘can renounce’.

1 Like

Yea lots of translation aren’t really that good as far as meaning goes. Lots of dictionary translations and editors who don’t know the difference.

Beware of that if you ever want to do any lawyering… as judges don’t care what the English translation says.

2 Likes

I don’t know, to me “喪失” does not suggest “renounce” at all. Looks like “lose”.

3 Likes

That’s what I thought when I first read the Chinese :rofl:.

Everyone in a mixed nationality marriage ass hole.just puckered reading this. Please comfort us soon and say its about trying to discard ones nationality by choice.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it is, there’s an application process outlined here:

1 Like

Key phrase is jing neibuzheng xuke, which means that someone would need to apply to forfeit roc nationality and the neibuzheng would also need to accept.

The following articles after 11 talk about reasons why they wouldn’t accept, such as not having done service or being in a court case.

“Shall lose” doesn’t follow from the Chinese imo. I more read it as “roc guomin have the following circumstances to forfeit roc nationality.”

2 Likes

The key: 許可 = permit.