Rush Limbaugh: The man who's always Right

One Brits take on The Maha Rushie. A good interview. He, Rush, rarely does an interview.

[quote]Rush Limbaugh: The man who’s always Right
excerpt:
"‘I am truly colour blind and I wish everyone else was. We Balkanise when we say only women can represent women in Congress and only Jews can represent Jews and only blacks can represent blacks. It’s bullshit. We all want the same things. Prosperity and a decent education for our kids. Treating this country like it is stuck 50 years ago is bullshit; we have made more progress than anyone over this. Get over it. If Obama says stupid things I’m not going to say they are not stupid because he’s black. He’s running for President, for God’s sake. It’s the Left who has been racist by agonising about whether he is black enough. Is he authentic enough? Does he have a civil rights record? For me he’s a liberal. That is reason enough to oppose him.’[/quote]

Like him, Love him or hate him his success is undeniable. And his impact on the USA is immense.
(and he is 98.8% correct)

Theatre of hate for the brain dead, scared and distrustful. The picture says it all.

But not to write off that article, I hasten to add, It is a good read.

HG

[quote]Rush Limbaugh: The man who’s always Right
excerpt:
"‘I am truly colour blind and I wish everyone else was. We Balkanise when we say only women can represent women in Congress and only Jews can represent Jews and only blacks can represent blacks. It’s bullshit. We all want the same things. Prosperity and a decent education for our kids. Treating this country like it is stuck 50 years ago is bullshit; we have made more progress than anyone over this. Get over it. If Obama says stupid things I’m not going to say they are not stupid because he’s black. He’s running for President, for God’s sake. It’s the Left who has been racist by agonising about whether he is black enough. Is he authentic enough? Does he have a civil rights record? For me he’s a liberal. That is reason enough to oppose him.’[/quote]

Rush Limbaugh on Colin Powell’s endorsement of Obama: Let me say it louder, and let me say it even more plainly. IT WAS TOTALLY ABOUT RACE! The Powell nomination — or endorsement — totally about race.

I’m so colour blind all I see is black.

So you’re calling it the same as he did.
Powell endorsed him because of his color…then you agree with Limbaugh.

what would happen if Limbaugh’s mommy forgot to turn the wind up key in his back one morning?

would the world be a better or a worse off place?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]So you’re calling it the same as he did.
Powell endorsed him because of his color…then you agree with Limbaugh.[/quote]
No, I don’t agree with Limbaugh.

Limbaugh claims to be colour blind, but then uses colour as the primary reason why Powell endorsed Obama. Never mind that Powell said right off the bat that race had nothing to do with his decision. Never mind that Powell gave very detailed reasons of why he’s endorsing Obama. Never mind the reasons given by Powell are very similar to the reasons given by other white conservatives/Republicans that have endorsed Obama – McClellan, Weld, Buckley, Adelman.

At the end of the day, all Limbaugh sees is black.

[quote=“sjcma”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]So you’re calling it the same as he did.
Limbaugh claims to be colour blind, but then uses colour as the primary reason why Powell endorsed Obama. Never mind that Powell said right off the bat that race had nothing to do with his decision. Never mind that Powell gave very detailed reasons of why he’s endorsing Obama. Never mind the reasons given by Powell are very similar to the reasons given by other white conservatives/Republicans that have endorsed Obama – McClellan, Weld, Buckley, Adelman.
At the end of the day, all Limbaugh sees is black.[/quote]sjcma -
I disagree with your single item example spinn. I’m not saying you are not free to make the attempt to discredit the article by using this, just that I disagree.
Limbaugh is making his personal judgment of what he perceives to be Colin Powells reasoning for his endorsement of Obama.

If you and I stand in the sunshine on a clear day and I p*ss on your leg and tell you its raining, who you gonna believe?
Me or your wet leg?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“sjcma”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]So you’re calling it the same as he did.
At the end of the day, all Limbaugh sees is black.[/quote]sjcma -
I disagree with your single item example spinn. I’m not saying you are not free to make the attempt to discredit the article by using this, just that I disagree.[/quote]
I’m not trying to discredit the article. It’s well written. I’m trying to discredit Limbaugh’s claim that he’s “truly colour blind”.

Fine, and I’m making my personal judgement on Limbaugh being dishonest when he says he’s “truly colour blind”. I’ve given my reasoning for doing so.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]If you and I stand in the sunshine on a clear day and I p*ss on your leg and tell you its raining, who you gonna believe?
Me or your wet leg?[/quote]
Spare me the incongruent analogy.

Does he bet on football games?

When Limbaugh went into a tirade about Powell, he must have just slipped off his meds … because the police were watching.

Well, it’s hard to go wrong when you play the race card in a game like politics where jokers are wild. That’s what makes Rush Limbaugh the closest living example there is of that other great American, Joseph McCarthy.

If by “right” you mean “right-wing”, then you’re right.

Otherwise, pretty much everything that comes out of Limbaugh’s rancid mouth is lies and idiocy. He is the “drive-by media”.

[quote=“sjcma”]Rush Limbaugh on Colin Powell’s endorsement of Obama: Let me say it louder, and let me say it even more plainly. IT WAS TOTALLY ABOUT RACE! The Powell nomination — or endorsement — totally about race.

I’m so colour blind all I see is black.[/quote]

I’m inclined to believe that Powell’s endorsement was influenced by race. Powell has said that electing a black president would be “electrifying” and Powell is a staunch supporter of government racial preferences. He hasn’t, to my knowledge, ever endorsed a similarly ultra-liberal inexperienced white politician for anything.

I’m not calling Powell a racist. But, it certainly shouldn’t be unthinkable, given the above facts, that Powell’s endorsement was quite influenced by race.

Hey, I’d be ecstatic if a black man or women was elected POTUS, provided he/she was a conservative.

Thinking about race doesn’t make one colorblind or racist. Race is a fact of our societies. What percentage of blacks will vote for Obamessiah in the US? Something like 97%? I read somewhere that somebody went into an area with a predominantly black population and identified Mccain’s plans as Obama’s and asked if people were going to support and vote for Obama… of course they all replied affirmatively. If most blacks are voting for Obamessiah because they too are liberals, then that isn’t a racist decision nor one influenced by race. But, when people say that they are voting for Obamessiah when they believe that McCain’s plans are Obames’s plans, it would seem to me that those people are allowing race to influence their votes.

Powell is a staunch supporter of government racial preferences, as are many liberals. So, its possible that he is more influenced by liberal policy than by race. I dunno. Of course, many people argue that government racial preferences are racist by nature.

Bottom line… I don’t think it is so terrible to discuss race and how race influences people. Race certainly influences some white people and some black people. We should all be prepared to explain, at least to ourselves, how race influences the way we vote, if indeed it does.

Blacks favored Democrats by 90% to 10% or so in 2000 and 2004. Upping that ceiling to 95% or so isn’t a large stretch, and can probably be accounted for by people voting who otherwise wouldn’t have voted. Black people just really prefer Democratic politicians over Republicans, apparently. People put a lot of stock in a party label, sometimes to the ridiculous extent that they would vote for a Republican position as long as it had the Democratic label. That’s pretty dumb, but so are most people…

I’m not calling Powell a racist. But, it certainly shouldn’t be unthinkable, given the above facts, that Powell’s endorsement was quite influenced by race.[/quote]

Limbaugh claimed Powell’s choice was 100% based on race, despite Powell himself saying it was not and itemizing the reasons for his endorsement.

Powell, to my knowledge, has never endorsed anyone for president prior to Obama. Given that he was in the military for so many years before joining the Bush government, I believe it is against the rules to make such endorsements while still a military officer. A single data point doesn’t mean a whole lot.

I’m not saying race has zero influence on Powell. In fact, no one really knows but Powell himself. Imagine this, two Republicans that have never ever endorsed a Democrat/liberal for president endorse Obama, giving the same set of reasons. One is black, the other white. The black Republican is being accused by others of being “quite influenced by race”. What about the white guy then? No similar accusations against McClellan, Adelman, Buckley, and Weld? Do you think those four white guys were also “quite influenced by race”?

I’m not calling Powell a racist. But, it certainly shouldn’t be unthinkable, given the above facts, that Powell’s endorsement was quite influenced by race.[/quote]

Limbaugh claimed Powell’s choice was 100% based on race, despite Powell himself saying it was not and itemizing the reasons for his endorsement.[/quote]
Exactly.

I agree. Powell has certainly explained his thoughts on race in this election, but it would appear many do not believe him. Some have even gone so far as to dismiss every stated reason that he has put forth and attribute his endorsement to be “totally about race” yet simultaneously claiming that they are “truly colour blind” (e.g. Limbaugh).

So they’re putting race where it wasn’t.

The McCain/Palin show are scum. Would the GOP have gone on about background if Hilary was running? Pictures of her and Bill on the lawn with terrs? Student days? Nope, those toe tapping in the crapper Repubs are shit-scared of potent black man.

Frankly, I’m appalled at the poor judgement of anyone that would associate themselves with the crap McSame has pulled in this campaign, Palin? Do you have some special need to act like a suburban neanderthal? Look at their pitch, thats clearly how they view their constituency.

HG

Yep, not a racist bone in his body, including the one through his nose.

[quote] Limbaugh once told a black caller: “Take that bone out of your nose and call me back.” A decade ago, after becoming nationally syndicated, he mused on the air: “Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?”

Here is Limbaugh's mocking take on the NAACP, a group with a ninety-year commitment to nonviolence: "The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies."

When Carol Moseley-Braun (D-IL) was in the U.S. Senate, the first black woman ever elected to that body, Limbaugh would play the "Movin' On Up" theme song from TV's "Jeffersons" when he mentioned her. Limbaugh sometimes still uses mock dialect -- substituting "ax" for "ask"-- when discussing black leaders.[/quote]

-And of course was fired by ESPN for racist comments about Donovan McNabb

-Says the only reason Obama got through Harvard Law was affirmative action.

Other than that…

[quote=“MikeN”]Yep, not a racist bone in his body, including the one through his nose.

[quote] Limbaugh once told a black caller: “Take that bone out of your nose and call me back.” A decade ago, after becoming nationally syndicated, he mused on the air: “Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?”

Here is Limbaugh's mocking take on the NAACP, a group with a ninety-year commitment to nonviolence: "The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies."

When Carol Moseley-Braun (D-IL) was in the U.S. Senate, the first black woman ever elected to that body, Limbaugh would play the "Movin' On Up" theme song from TV's "Jeffersons" when he mentioned her. Limbaugh sometimes still uses mock dialect -- substituting "ax" for "ask"-- when discussing black leaders.[/quote]

-And of course was fired by ESPN for racist comments about Donovan McNabb

-Says the only reason Obama got through Harvard Law was affirmative action.

Other than that…[/quote]

-Calling Obama a “Halfrican American”
-His song “Barack the Magic Negro”
-His racist jokes about the Survivor Cook Islands teams
-Quote: “I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark.”
-Quote: “Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it.”
-Quote: “They’re 12 percent of the population. Who the hell cares?”

Limbaugh is racist scum.

Powell has generally been a sober, straight-up, honest man, no? He has given a clear, cogent explanation for his endorsement, listing many positive factors which make perfect sense to anyone not utterly blinded by right-wing ideology and partisanship, so I see no reason not to take him at his word. Many intelligent, rational people – yes, even many Republicans – have judged Obama to be the better choice, without factoring race into it. Others are excited about the prospect of shattering this racial barrier, without really looking at who is the better choice. And then there are those who have judged Obama to be the better choice (independent of race), and who are also excited about breaking the racial barrier. I see a lot of closed-minded Republicans harping about the 2nd group as if all Obama supporters were in that group, which I’m sure any thinking person (and I assume you are one) will agree is asinine.

Agreed.

You speak only of race and of liberalism. But a sober consideration of the American electorate should tell you that just being black won’t get you elected president in the U.S.A. (in fact, everyone knows it’s an incredible uphill battle for minorities), and given the propensity of the American public to elect conservative presidents, well, that too should be considered an uphill battle. So in my opinion, if your mind is truly open, you should be acknowledging a much wider range of reasons for Obama’s success and his endorsements from widely respected figures such as Powell.

Race and liberalism? There is much more to it than that. Whether you agree with it or not, many feel that McCain has shown very poor judgment, and instability. Obama has shown good judgment, and level-headedness, a good grip of the issues, and better policies. He has, as Powell mentioned, shown the ability to inspire, to reach across racial and party lines, to unite, to lead, to think and act and speak like a president (unlike either McCain or HAHAHA Palin), These things are important in a president, as the disastrous last 8 years have proven. I believe these were MAJOR factors in Powell’s endorsement. And McCain’s DISASTROUS choice of Palin, his abysmal judgments, his choice to play a very very ugly and dishonest campaign and so on were also factors. You may not agree with these assessments, but failure to acknowledge them and a focus on only race and liberalism would be an extremely biased and irrational interpretation of the situation IMO.