Russia invades Ukraine: General Discussion 2023

because it is right out of the Kremlin news network. If you can’t trust Ukranian sources then how are you so trusting of Kremlin sources? literally nobody called you russian, said those numbers are from the Kremlin, if you want to believe Putin’s horse ass then be my best.

I just said I don’t trust either, but there are other indicators that can be used to get a gauge on what is likely true and untrue.

if by that you mean 100,000 on each side, I’d put that in a realm of possible, but the thought that russia only lost 17-25k is absolute horse ass.

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

the fact russia isn’t in Kyiv right now should tell you enough.

No, that doesn’t sound like reasonable logic to me.

2 Likes

I don’t know the full context, but probably true given serfdom in much of Eastern Europe and Russia at the time.

1 Like

russia can’t even establish air superiority.

Is that what they are trying to do? As far as I am aware they grounded most of their military air force up till now.

Still, doesn’t seem to me to be a reason to reach much of a conclusion of how many people are being killed. I’m not aware of Ukraine fly military aircraft either. Seems to be mainly a ground war.

One of the big mysteries of this conflict. We don’t know that they can’t, we only know that they haven’t

Why?

Maybe because they can’t

Maybe because they are afraid they can’t, and it will get expensive. Similarly, maybe they are afraid it will make their jets look bad, and then they’ll suffer in exports. But note, they have air superiority over Russia

Or, maybe, it is somehow connected to the “special” legal status of this operation

Or or, perhaps, Putin is holding those fighters back for when the real war starts. This is paranoid conjecture, I’ll admit, but not outside the realm of possibility

they were never grounded, they continue to launch strikes on each other.

the real numbers the other day.

Over the past week, two major military figures in the West appeared to confirm the scale of suffering. Last Friday, Norway’s Chief of Defence, General Eirik Kristoffersen, claimed that Russia has endured 180,000 casualties to Ukraine’s 100,000 (plus another 30,000 Ukrainian civilian casualties). Meanwhile, U.S. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley said on Friday that Russian casualties are “significantly well over 100,00 now” (The Sun reports American intelligence services suggesting this figure is around 188,000).

you can trust who ever you want, US/EU intelligence or Kremlin intelligence.

I already said, using some basic logic and known facts allows a person to reach some sensible conclusions.

Since when did you start trusting the US/EU military account of what was going on? Didn’t you learn from Afghanistan that they lie continuously?

Would there be a reason for them to lie about the numbers of losses? Yes, there is, if such losses and disparity existed people would start to ask questions which they don’t want as they want full support for the war.

1 Like

we’re going to go in circles forever.

you can trust who ever you want, US/EU intelligence or Kremlin intelligence.

About the only thing we know for sure is that we can’t trust militarily intelligence on either side to be accurate or transparent here, that’s not their job

But we do know that the Russians have been able to capture and hold less territory than they wanted

Only because I was waiting for you to ask a pertinent question, which since you can’t accept the possibility of the proposition you can’t follow through with the logical question.

If I am claiming there are other known facts and logic will allow a person to reach reasonable conclusion, if someone was capable of being open minded to the possibility they would ask “what known facts and logic are you talking about?”

Baby steps, we might try that another day, I have had my load of being accused of spreading Kremlin talking points for a day.

I just followed through with logic, how did russia only lose 17k soldiers when they lose 200-300 men trying to capture a chicken shack in the middle of nowhere.

Maybe they haven’t been successful in capturing many chicken shacks?

maybe more than 17k russian soldiers have died, I can link you to a telegram where you can prolly find more dead russian soldiers in pics than 17k.

1 Like

I already pointed to one, the disparity in shelling, Russia is launching up to 60,000 mortars a day while the Ukrainians are lucky to get off 6 to 7K. Recent reporting still had the Russians launching 40,000 a day and the Ukrainians it seems are greatly reduced, perhaps to 2k a day.

Which has led to discussions about the ability of the West to arm Ukraine and produce arms in the numbers they need. Which goes on to further discussions on ability to produce large quantities of these kinds of munitions and is Ukraine low on munitions and rationing what they have.

But that is just one indicator, I don’t think it is disputed in western media, in fact I’m am pretty sure I can find Western reporting that confirms this.

Oh, are we counting civilian deaths?