Russia invades Ukraine: General Discussion 2023

The new tanks might make a difference, no?

1 Like

They might but more likely they’ll only delay the inevitable in a war of attrition with Russia.

Well, we’ll see how those T55s do.

Germany had superior tanks in WW2 but the Allies won by attrition.

“In the Second World War the Germans had tanks which were generally better overall than those of the Allies, but were over-complicated, over-engineered, and unreliable.

The Allies, on the other hand, had tanks like the American Sherman and the Russian T-34 which, although arguably technologically inferior, were deployed in large quantities. The Germans were quite simply overwhelmed.”

I don’t want to get into a tank argument. Time will tell.

2 Likes

We can only hope history doesn’t repeat itself.

IIRC the invaders lost that wsr

The history of tank warfare.

In that case, there are more recent examples involving some of these actual tanks

But there will be few if any American tanks that see action in Ukraine. We’ll see what actually happens if the vaunted Leopard starts hitting the field in numbers

I hear the Russians are sending out units of one tank one IFV and infantry to make what gains they can. It’s punishment duty supposedly.

Unlike Iraqi tank crews, Russian tank crews seem to have nine lives:

I said it before, it won’t work, as most people in Russian held territory do not want the Russians to leave and pagan Nazis to move in for some NATO sponsored ethnic cleansing.
If it was in the north-west former territory of Poland then yes it would work.

3 Likes

Perhaps ones who are there now, most of the ones who don’t want the Russians there are probably dead or gone

1 Like

Very difficult to see a successful counter offensive like last year, unless the Russian make a big mistake or the Ukranians have some genius strategy

Some tanks are still better than no tanks, but as I posted previously the Russians have had time to fortify their lines

thats a movie.

Not quite true, but close.

" On 4 October 1941, the 4th Panzer Division, part of General Heinz Guderian’s Panzer Group 2 suffered a severe setback at Mtsensk, near Oryol. Heinz Guderian demanded an inquiry into the realities of tank warfare on the Eastern Front, suggesting that the quickest solution was to produce a direct copy of the T-34.[25]

A special Panzerkommision arrived on the Eastern Front on 20 November 1941[26] to assess the T-34.[27] The Weapons Department held that Germany would have difficulty copying the T-34 as Guderian had suggested, because of the quantity of steel alloy and diesel engines required."

Vietnam and Afghanistan had the support of the locals. Most people in the east of Ukraine don’t like Nazi and don’t want them there.

2 Likes

Slava Finland
Finland joined NATO and now Russia really is boxed in.
Well played Putin you fucking idiot.

1 Like

Beforehand, did you think they were going to walk into Finland, even with the agreement they had both had for decades not to get into a conflict? I guess yes, as there is an absurd belief Russia wants to one day take over Europe and Russian troops will be marching at the foot of the Eiffel Tower in jack boots.
And it has also brought China and Russia closer together as well as other countries and a desire it seems to do away with the US$.
And Belarus has nukes now.

1 Like

Who can imagine such a thing in Europe?

2 Likes