Sababa Pita Bar

[quote=“Prince Roy”]Sababa is overrated, imo. Here’s my review:
princeroy.org/?p=475[/quote]

Your opinion is very different to the majority posting here (and others I know in person); the majority of people would believe your food reviews to be … not to their taste, methinks.

When I look for reviews I can trust (of anything) , I check out that critic’s reviews of places, things, etc. that I have a strong opinion of, and then I see if we have the same taste. In this case, it would seem that your other reviews wouldn’t be worth me reading, as Sababa offers something I simply cannot get anywhere else in Taipei: great food and very friendly service at fantastic prices and served in an environment that takes me away to faraway places.

(Is that better?)

ah well…different strokes. Food isn’t bad, portions are just on the small side for the price, imo. It’ll be a lunch place for me if I go back. Maybe my tastes are different than most, especially since so many expats I’ve met here rave about how Chinese food in Taiwan is the ‘best in the world’. I’ve also been to Indian places people here seem to like, and they’ve been a very disappointing experience. I can only hope an Andhra Pradeshi opens up shop here before I leave…

Well, I had lunch there today and it was very good, IMO. I had my favorite, the chicken pita, and a side of humus. The chicken pita (aka chicken sulvacki … or however its spelled…) is still excellent, and the hummus is rivaled only by Paco’s at Olala.

A little bird there mentioned that they will be opening soon (early May) a second Sababa over by Bongos.

Yummy!

Someone’s blog ‘review’ of the place (in Chinese), with pictures

blog.roodo.com/juicybear/archives/3273077.html

Seems the blog writer loves the food at Sababa…

El Tiggre,

A behomethly big bald betting bird told me they were as well. And everybody’s heard about the bird…the bird bird bird, the bird is the word…

This same bird indicated somewhat later hours for the KK (or GG, dependant on how you roll) location. This would be manna from nirvana, as I work 'til 10 most eves :doh: and will welcome the extra :pray: 120(?):pray: minutes.

Okay, they can make it 10:30 , but promise me you’ll take my phone order and I’ll zoom :happybiker: on down afore then.

Slightly off-topic, but Tiggre or any anyone else,

Any Subways deeper south on Roosevelt (actually would prefer Bei Shin Lu locations?) than the Taida shoppe?

XinDienToe

I went to Sababa this evening. It’s a small cozy place I must say, and it was quite full (a group of people). Didn’t see any Taiwanese customers (or maybe the two in the corner table, not sure). Nice decoration & atmosphere. Luckily we could still have seats at the bar. The food was nice (Moroccon Hummus), I’ll have to go back to try more, I bet those chapati-like wrap things must be good. Only thing was, I felt a bit sweaty (it was a hot day today) and my beer was not cold enough. And, overrated? (as the other poster mentioned) I think this might be true for some; not everyone is in for this kind of ‘adventurous’ food or might not appreciate it (the taste was unlike other foods I know) (I liked it though). The Chinese blog (link) mentions the owner looks like George Clooney and this would attract female visitors…hehe. I think he wasn’t there, though… so I can’t make any judgements.

The best falafel pita I’ve ever had was a from a roadside stand on a highway just outside Tel Aviv. The second best was from a shop in the Old City of Jerusalem.

Considering the expense of booking a flight to Ben-Gurion, Sababa’s a pretty good deal. Taiwanese food may be ass cheap, but you usually get what you pay for: low-grade meat, wilted veggies, and grease! On the other hand, the ingredients at Sababa were fresh and quite good. They serve Israeli-style pita sandwiches (with pickles! You CAN’T leave out the pickles) and aren’t terribly far off. Certainly not the best I’ve had, but my standards are quite high. Considering that I left this place very pleased, and returned the following night for take-out, I’d give Sababa a solid A. Easily the best oriental food in Taipei.

Sababa’s got baklava. Unbelievably delish.

That looks awesome. Will have to stop in for that.

We’ve just struck a deal with Greg of Sababa especially for you Forumosans. If you introduce yourself as a Forumosan to his staff you will receive a free baklava for every 500NT your table spends. So pop by your nearest Sababa, nosh out on some of the freshest, healthiest food in Taiwan, and enjoy a complimentary sweet treat on the house. This special incentive will begin April 1st, 2012. (No joke)

Thanks Greg.

[quote=“Stewart Pendous”]Sababa’s got baklava. Unbelievably delish.

[/quote]

Just curious…Is that corn I see?

Those yellow bits…corn in their baklava?

I hope someone will stop in and take advantage of this bonus offer…and report back on this.

Not corn TC. I’d venture that’s a chunk of cashew or some other nut variety.

Always walnuts, the pistachio’s are on-top decoration. Looks yummy on the picture

The wife and I like to eat at the remaining location near Tai-da and although we’ve enjoyed it before, it’s even better now. The food is even better, the service was much better. Not that it was bad before, but if the gentleman that we met there today was the owner, then he seems to be taking a more direct hand in how the food id prepared and served. if you haven’t been in a while, check it out.

Yes, I got a similar impression when I visited a couple of weeks ago. Much more personable and enthusiastic service. Also, authentic Middle Eastern hirsutism now in the kitchen. :sunglasses:

Yeah, I go about once a week and like the changes. Funny, I used to go ocassionally years ago, and then about 6 months ago realized I loved their food so why not go more often?

Thanks for the info. I was disappointed when they closed the restaurant in Tian Mu. I haven’t made a trip to the Tai Da location in many years. Now I’ll plan a visit.

Seems that the Heping location of Sababa has been taken over by Imma Pita. Assume that it is associated with Imma Bakery in Tainan but I’m not sure. It was closed when I was walking by so I didn’t have a chance to sample the food.

The Heping location (actually much closer to Xinhai Road) is back in business, apparently with new ownership. I’ve only tried the chicken souvlaki pita–and it was delicious, enough to get me back there the next day to have another. The portions are not huge, so big eaters may not be fully satisfied, but it was perfect for me. There are a handful of tables, clean and comfortable. In the back, they’re baking pitas for the other shop in Gongguan (I heard) as well as for the Sababa stand in the Gongguan night market. The fresh smell of baking and the bright fresh food make the Heping location a pleasure to visit. Beware though: as before, it’s closed on Sundays!

Guy

love their food. ^^