Safety for women in Taiwan

A huge fail in the system…to say the least.

She went to the cops at least 4 times. The man grabbed her boobs in her workplace in front of witnesses and still was free to plan her demise. Obsessed with her, he borrowed a car, took out the GPS, and followed her…

4 Likes

Stalking is poorly handled nearly everywhere. Little is ever done until it’s too late.

They say the most dangerous time with a controlling male is when he’s about to lose that control. Perhaps the sexual harassment charges were the trigger. Basically, the legal systems in almost every country don’t offer protection to people who are victims of stalking/obsession.

1 Like

Victim blaming? That sounds like the old wives tale of don’t fight your rapist, just let him be.

The family knew he had mental problems, that is why they sent him to live elsewhere alone.

Indeed, the problem of harassment just escalates into murder if nothing is done by the authorities. The guy just kept coming and coming. He should have been interned for his own safety and others after being given a psychiatric evaluation. Yet the cops just let him be because they are not trained for this and there are not enough women on the force to enforce changes. There is no law to protect the stalked and in some way the stalker too.

The SEA student that was killed a few months ago was an example. The killer had been stalking students in the area, one had denounced him and the cops knew what he was doing. The chief of police resigned after the murder.

2 Likes

What “victim blaming” are you referring to?

4 Likes

Problem is police aren’t mental health professionals. They can only intervene when a crime occurred. If you make “pre crime” laws then they will almost always be abused.

Problems like these need to be handled by social workers. Problem with america at least is everything is handled by the police. When you are a hammer, everything looks like nails.

And most societies do not want to talk about mental health issues. They rather put them away somewhere.

3 Likes

Saying that he was triggered by her putting a legal fight.

These kind of cases can be fought by a comprehensive legal system where cops, lawyers, social workers, and psychologists work together. Cops are needed to restrain dangerous individuals who threaten repeatedly other people’s lives. But that is just step one.

What happened here is some overburdened officials could not handle so many hats at the same time. Not their fault, they do not have the legal support in order to perform their duties and the current span of their duties does not fit society’s needs. They can’t do more.

1 Like

I had a feeling that was what you were referring to. My criticism of failings in the legal process becomes perceived as a criticism of the victim.

I can assure you that I was not blaming the victim in any way. Here, I’ll reword it to make it clearer:

Perhaps the sexual harassment charges were the trigger, because the legal systems in almost every country don’t offer protection to people who are victims of stalking/obsession.

2 Likes

This is something that actually disgusts me about Taiwan. A former female student of mine said she wanted to be a cop (she was already super badass at takewando), but that only 30% of the force could be women, so it would be hard to get in. If that is true, it is BS. Women make up 51% of society, they should make up 51% of the police force.

Even if there aren’t limits, it’s obvious no efforts are being made to make sure there are enough women on the force to address issues. I know of quite a few men who have done horribly abusive things to their wives but the male police chief didn’t want to upset the husband. More women on the police force would mean less room for men to think the only part of their job that matters is drinking tea.

Sure… let’s not use tests but quotas. For example, 10% of local population is crippled? let’s have 10% of crippled cops!

Same should apply to firefighters.

1 Like

Also, what changes are supposed to be pushed by female police? what is police supposed to be in charge of? IDK, this sounds too ****** to me.

That’s a bit confusing as only 10% or so of Taiwanese police officers are female. Perhaps she meant that only 30% of applicants could be female?

It should currently be easier to get in as a female, even if there is a 30% limit.

1 Like

Why on earth should the people enforcing the laws not be a representative sample of the people they’re serving?

I won’t get behind the whole “abolish the police” movement in the US, but the more I hear about white cops killing black people for no reason, the more I think that movement isn’t even extreme.

Men abuse women waaaayy too often and typically get away without consequence. Sometimes, they’re even rewarded for the “troubles the woman put them through”. If the police force is primarily male, changes will not come.

It’s possible that’s what she meant. But why are there caps on the percentage of applicants that can be women?

I don’t know if there are. If there is a 30% limit of the total and currently only 10% of police officers are female then it should be easier for her to become a police officer.

This all seems highly unlikely to me. Does anyone know if there is either an upper limit on the percentage of female police officers in Taiwan, or an upper limit on the percentage of females who are permitted to apply for a position in the police?

Because they aren’t suitable?

2 Likes

In general, men are physically stronger and larger which contributes to their capability to handle certain situations better than women.

But there are some tough women out there that can kick some ass. However, there probably aren’t enough of such women in the Taiwan population to fill 51% of the police force.

2 Likes

Exactly.

I don’t think that there’s a number high enough of strong women in Taiwan who are interested in becoming a member of the police forces so that they can be a 51%.

OTOH, who cares? I suspect the people wanting this (which I find stupid, but hey, it’s just me), wouldn’t be happy with this either. They will find that these women sexist and heteropatriarchist and who knows what other shit.

police officers who handle that kind of crimes and female victims and criminals should be females, more than 51%. But, not all officers need to be selected by genders.

1 Like