Safety of scooter trip to Yilan

After having been discouraged by my co-worker, I’m beginning to have second thoughts about my impending scooter trip from Taipei to Yilan.

Anyone have any insight into this? Is it really such a bad move? It’s only 40km.

Your co-worker is overcautious. Easy trip. If you want to avoid all drama, try leaving earlier in the morning or on a weekday to avoid traffic.

The opening from the mountains into the Yilan coast is absolutely stunning and the coastal ride is beautiful. Being outside in the air on a two-wheeled-vehicle tasting the salt in the air is worth any non-existant risk, IMO.

[quote=“mabagal”]Your co-worker is overcautious. Easy trip. If you want to avoid all drama, try leaving earlier in the morning or on a weekday to avoid traffic.

The opening from the mountains into the Yilan coast is absolutely stunning and the coastal ride is beautiful. Being outside in the air on a two-wheeled-vehicle tasting the salt in the air is worth any non-existant risk, IMO.[/quote]

Thanks a lot! Off to Yilan I am.

Just that riding a scoot is like flying a sortie into enemy territory with your F16. Not entirely safe. And especially since Route 9 to Ilan is known as the highway of death because its two lane and winds and twists continuously. It is however quite scenic !! Just dont pass on the double yellow (which means dont pass at all basically) and watch out for others that invariably will be passing on the double yellow. Be careful that on each turn a truck could be in YOUR LANE. But as I said, its very scenic. Although I myself wouldnt do it on a scoot/moto.

Id take the coastal route, very very scenic. Much less dangerous, although still is.

Be careful and its a rewarding drive.

No more dangerous than rush hour traffic. If you want a nice scenic route, take the number 7 (northern cross-island) - it’s great! (Much nicer than the 9).

It’s a beautiful ride. Danger is as danger does. Be careful as always.

:thumbsup: Couldnt of said it better. I take this ride a lot and it is amazing!! Do it!

I rode it by bike when I was there, just the reverse direction. A few aggressive trucks but nothing you don’t get everywhere in the country, more or less. Look forward to hearing how it went.

Once again, if you want to do it as a longer scenic trip - go for the 7: it’s awesome.

The 9 takes about 2 hours at a fast speed, and the 7 about 3 1/2. (Those times are pretty flat out, though).

If you’re going for a weekend, I’d recommend going on the 7 and coming back on the 9.

40 km to Yilan? More like 70 at leastespecially with all the corners.

Unless you take the expressway. :smiley:

[quote=“urodacus”]40 km to Yilan? More like 70 at leastespecially with all the corners.

Unless you take the expressway. :smiley:[/quote]

Agree. It’s almost exactly 70KM on the odometer, Luodong to Xindian. Taking the 7 makes it about 150KM.

Watch the video of the tiny-cocked halfwits in their Porsches in the other thread. That’s the Yilan road, I believe. Do you want to share a road with the likes of those bellends?

What other thread? Sorry, not all of us have read every thread on Forumosa (:

What other thread? Sorry, not all of us have read every thread on Forumosa (:[/quote]
WHAT? You HAVEN’T? The hell is the matter with you? There’s GOLD in there, I tell ya – GOLD!

The porsche thing was bad but common. Heres what also happens and if the car driver didnt sacrifice his car (and a lot of them wont) the two on the moto would be history.

edit: actually watching the slowMoh part you could see the driver was trying to stay on the road by turning his wheels to the right, but if he had been successful, those two on the scoot would have likely died.

On a scoot/moto you are a PAWN on the road.

I just arrived back from the trip and it was the most awe inspiring experience I have had in Taiwan. I took the number 9 and I didn’t feel unsafe at all. There were a lot of high powered motorbikes zooming around, and I can see why they love it what with all those smooth and winding roads.

My scooter is a bit crap and I had my girlfriend on the back with a bag full of gear and it still felt really cool leaning into the turns. The scenery was magnificent and the air quality sublime. It took me about 2 hours and the signage said 60km when leaving Taipei, although my GPS mistakenly said 40km.

I would recommend the Luodong Sports Park to anyone hitting Yilan. And as a poster said, the coastal view as you come in to Yilan at elevation is really something. We also hit the beach in Yilan county where you can see Turtle Island. There was an awesome maze of roads by the beach with one running along the beach - way too much fun.

Funnily enough when we got to the 7/11 in Yilan, the cashier also told us that we were reckless coming by scooter as it was too dangerous. Maybe the Taiwanese are cautious or something but that doesn’t compute as they drive like rabid savages in Taipei.

Great to hear! It’s not just the Taiwanese, it’s a lot of people on thus board who are more risk averse and simultaneously more vocal. If we never took risks and never did things that maybe scared us, we’d miss out on many experiences that life has to offer. If we never did things that others advised against, we’d be just like everyone else. Glad to see you had a great trip, and that mountain opening into the ocean is magnificent isn’t it?

Should note that many Taiwanese consider that road haunted, which might explain a lot of the fear mongering. Better for those of us who see through that nonsense and just do it. :slight_smile:

By the way, if you ever want to do that trip again and want some people to ride with… Let me know. My girlfriend and I, we’ll ride with you.

Magnificent indeed. The thing you said about the Taiwanese saying it is haunted is probably it, seeing as that same co-worker was hell bent on trying to convince me about the reality of ghosts moments before the big warning.

Yeah, life is calculated risk. There’s a quote by Hellen Keller that I really like: “Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

Thank you for the invite - I’m hooked now so I’m super keen. Thinking about taking the ol scooter to Jiufen next weekend and climbing teapot mountain. Let me know if you’re up for that, not sure whether it’s a worthwhile adventure?

Note that my scooter is quite a bit underpowered, struggling somewhat on the uphills. 125cc though, just a 1993 model that sounds like a tractor haha!

Congratulations! it’s less of a death road now since the tunnel opened. I often opt for the 9 instead of the tunnel, especially if I happen to be in YiLan on my way back to Taipei at rush hour.
On the motorcycle for me it is a non-issue and I ride it without even thinking about it.

one of my favourite cycling roads too.

except coming back, when that climb up from the coast is not as much fun as it was going down.