Saffers and the job market?

Hello all!

I was on the island back in 2003-05. Enjoyed it for the most part.

Back then the teaching crowd was fairly young (20s, early-30s) and predominantly Canadians and South Africans. Taichung rocked hard!

What’s the situation like now for work? I’d aim for Kaohsiung or Taipei (done Taichung). And is there adult training work? (not keen on kids under 10 anymore)

Also, in recent years there have been massive amounts of Saffers flooding China and Vietnam. I’m in Vietnam now, and these Saffers are driving down market prices - as low as $10/hour.

Lastly - what are the current legal requirements to get an ARC? Degree, CELTA and police clearance?

I’m a little bit tired of teaching, but more so of the idiots who are coming onboard now (a lot of far-from-native speakers), and the scandalous school owners. Would love to teach and get involved in some side projects, find a lovely Taiwanese lass, and spend free time in the mountains and on the East coast, and get down to the Philippines, HK and other parts of Asia twice a year or so.

#nogoingbacktosouthafrica

I haven’t noticed many South Africans looking for jobs on the Facebook Groups. I understand there is a little community in Hsinchu and probably quite a few in Taiwan. They certainly aren’t depressing the wages like you say they are in Vietnam.

What will depress wages is when the Filipinos start teaching.

1 Like

They already do. If the market demands them more then it may have an impact on wages.

It will probably also translate in to cheaper buxiban classes, which would mean that English classes become more affordable and accessible to more people

Wage compression should be a much bigger concern. It hasn’t kept up with inflation at all.

I hear the situation is the same for locals too. My best friend says starting salaries are the same as they were 20 years ago while everything is more expensive.

The vanguard :joy:

Few locals work as English teachers,

What woke you up @ChewDawg ? :smiley:

1 Like

Wage compression for foreign English teachers, dummy. Has barely edged up since the early-2000s.

I’m sure I’d snag a good job with 15 years experience (including being an IELTS examiner) Next question is do my CELTA and degree and police have to be authenticated? By a lawyer OR department of education in SA OR the Taiwan visa office in SA?

Within the controlled ChewDawg lies the spirit of the ultra-disruptive Chewycorns.

1 Like

I get that, and as said few locals are English teachers so English teachers getting shitty wages doesn’t really affect Taiwanese. On the contrary, it will keep the price of lessons down which will enable more Taiwanese to take classes

I guess they don’t have university qualifications and just a TEFL.

You really aren’t following my point. If teacher wages haven’t risen with inflation, does that make lessons more affordable? No.

Why not? Why would they be more or equally affordable if English teacher wages were higher ?

I N F L A T I O N

Are wages, at large, rising?

No, wages at large are not rising.

But, I still fail to see how English classes would be more affordable(or equally affordable) if English teacher wages were rising(especially when no other wages are)

at the last, by taiwan office in SA, or if you graduated from a foreign univ, by taiwan office in the country.
Before the documents are sent to there, they might need to go to some office of your country. It must be explained on the site of taiwan office in SA.