Same Sex Marriage

i’m all in support for gay marriage in taiwan but the govt seems like its on a mission to make this happen, even though most people here don’t seem to support it.

personally i think its about face, they want taiwan to look like one of the most progressive country’s in asia. even though it really isn’t.

i really wish they would put this kind of effort into other issues this country has and that the public don’t support.

Gay marriage wasn’t supported by the public when it was legalised in many countries back in the 00s. They just didn’t hold a referendum. In fact, before the referendum proposal, the polls were mostly in favour of legalising gay marriage as well, it was only after proposal the fake news/misinformation campaign went on full rage.

Besides, the government has to do it since the deadline of judicial review #748 is approaching. If they don’t get this act passed, it will just be legalised in May.

Which other country is even remotely progressive in Asia then? There isn’t any. They are all the exact opposite of progressive. Some are more extreme than the others.

Taiwan is easily the most progressive country in Asia (unless you count Israel, but even Israel is not all that progressive with their treatment towards the Palestinians) if only because other countries are all in the race to bottom as far as progressivism goes.

2 Likes

I think the point is that Taiwan is pretty conformist as well, not as much as Japan, but it is. Religious groups may have been a loud voice here, but I don’t think they swung the vote. I suspect they knew which way the vote would go, and pushed for a referendum, a few, to influence legislation. But the vast majority of people who voted likely did so for the sake of conformity or tradition and not dogma.

And I didn’t edit your quote. I don’t know why the fruit changed.

1 Like

Is the God-Emperor sending us a subtle message? :astonished:

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: My sources say no

Okay then, it’s a mystery. :idunno:

Thailand, the ladyboy mecca of the world?

1 Like

Hk is not too bad either, although not on the government level.

There is a disconnect between gov and society there, so they cannot solely be judged by gov policies

1 Like

Any word on events so far today?

All the legislators get to speak for 3 minutes, and they’re all going to want to say their piece. No vote for a few hours, methinks.

1 Like

:rainbow:Just passed…full my big fat gay Greek wedding…:rainbow:

4 Likes

Is anyone going to celebrate with a butt roast?

1 Like

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/taiwan-gay-marriage-rights-law-debate-11541324

1 Like

Congratulations, :teddy_bear:

1 Like

I didn’t mean I myself was getting married. I mean I’m tri-sexual and all but I’m pretty much on the shelf these days…

Presumably you’d be entitled to a JFRV?

I would assume so since the bill also recognizes foreign marriages

Congratulations, Taiwan!!! First country in Asia to legalize same-sex marriage!

4 Likes

Insane rain in the morning.

The government approves the same sex marriage proposal .

The rain stops and a rainbow shows up.

What did God mean by this?

10 Likes

it was written in the stars.

Jesus loves the gays.

2 Likes