Same Sex Marriage

Listening to the legislators was horrid… “But the ereferendum… our society is not mature enough… the majority has spoken, we want to preserve traditional families”… I gave up, I was sure they would win with such “powerful” arguments…

…surprise, surprise, remove one word, and voila, voted in. Not a landslide, bot a clean cut, but a win.

Cherry on top: international news refering to Taiwan as country… as in first country in Asia to legalize same sex marriage. :banana:

SALES AD
PM me for quotes on unicorn and rainbow cakes, or pinatas.

7 Likes

This is great, I’m a supporter. Fully deserve equality and they can have family and inheritance rights.

Not sure what was the point of all those referendums though.

Finally the narrative is switched from break away island blah blah…

How are they reporting these news in china? Are they butthurt?

3 Likes

Well, last time the netizens celebrated and the Government denounced Taiwan´s “decadence”. But I would love to have a few quotes. :rofl:

Wonderful news! Congrats to our gay friends who now have a major obstacle out of the way. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Damn it’s true!Screenshot_20190517-153744_LINE

13 Likes

He loves every person.

I wonder if this could actually have an effect on people’s opinions.

Congratulations to same-sex couples.
The rights of the minority should never be dictated by the whims of the majority.

4 Likes

Or maybe, just maybe, God is a Hilton Honors member. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Didn’t find this in the news: dies this bill grant all the important rights, like related to adoption, residency rights, inheritance, …?

Inheritance is fine but it only allows step-child adoption and it doesn’t apply to international marriage (yet).

And the real problem now is the possibility of KMT changing it all back if they win next year. If only people wouldn’t be that stupid…

1 Like

They can’t just change it back. It was deemed unconstitutional by the supreme court.
Plus if history is any indication, once it passes everyone will soon realize it wasn’t a big deal for straight people anyway.

4 Likes

I hope so but KMT voters are pretty fucking dumb so Idk.

1 Like

Can a foreign same sex couple marry in Taiwan once it’s implemented? Both are from the Philippines,though one is a permanent resident in Canada. thanks

one might need to be a taiwanese.
And, if one party’s country doesn’t allow same sex marriage, I’m afraid you cannot.

depends what you mean by progressive. if you just mean gay marriage then yeah, party it up and celebrate taiwan no.1!

personally i would put japan, korea, singapore and hong kong…way ahead of taiwan. taiwan is a nice place to live but its ass backwards in many many areas. so it doesn’t sit right with me to toot the progressive horn just because of one thing. and that one thing is even not supported by most people.

and to be clear i am not saying because the majority of taiwanese voted against gay marriage we can’t have gay marriage, i am just trying say how it further illustrates that this whole ‘progressive’ image is a sham.

1 Like

This is true and I get your point. But I guess it’s more of a constitutional issue so unless Taiwan is willing to push to amend the constitution to not make this a constitutional right, what people want doesn’t mean a whole lot from this perspective.

1 Like

Taiwan is more progressive now than yesterday, in that it is the only country in East Asia to allow same-sex marriage. That’s something and it can’t be a sham because it’s legal.

3 Likes

Korea? Progressive?? I used to live in South Korea. They aren’t progressive at all. Up until recently, most claimed there was no such thing as a truly gay Korean, and if a Korean did claim to be gay he must have some mongrel Japanese blood in him (they hate the Japanese).