Same Sex Marriage

its something but i’m sorry. there are far more issues that need taking care of before taiwan can be toot its own horn about how progressive it is.

i wasn’t actually taking issue with it happening even though it was voted against. its the whole image being projected- which i personally think is far from reality. which i take massive issue with.

I wasn’t saying you were at all. Just saying it’s not really an issue of public opinion, which makes it even weirder they had a referendum when the entire case is based on constitutional right. If the referendum was on amending that right it would make more sense.

again, you misssed my point. i’m not soley talking about gay rights here. i think taiwan is too backwards as a whole to go around projecting a ‘most progressive country in asia’ image.

in regards to gay rights, fine. compared to china, also fine and probably a good idea. in the whole of asia? no, not at all.

What do you mean by progressive then? In terms of infrastructure and economy, yes, Japan and Korea are more advanced. In terms of social policy, no.

i mean you can’t burn your trash in a bucket on your roof like my neighbor does and get away with it. because nobody gives a f**k.
i mean you can’t dump your pet dog in the mountains, then go shoot the strays with bb guns.
just general backwater shit that happens here every day and isn’t going to change anytime soon. pollution. driving. do i really need to remind you? progressive doesn’t just equal gay rights, if it did i wouldn’t be bothered.

2 Likes

I think it’s a mixed bag. I saw Koreans do plenty of shady shit when I lived there. They still have dog farms and you see the skinned carcasses at the night markets.
There’s a lot more overt racism and nationalism. I had a lot more casual (and not so casual) racism directed towards me and my Korean g/f there.
Pollution is really bad in South Korea too. Of course they blame it all on North Korea and China, but it’s bull. They have a brutal yellow dust season. And then there’s the fact that they have the highest suicide rate in the world among developed nations (at least last I checked), because they raise their children to be test-taking robots that snap when they don’t get into the university of their choosing. Education is intense here, but it’s ten times as intense there and many can’t deal. Two students at the old uni I taught killed themselves while I was teaching there. They have plenty of problems. In some ways they’re better. The traffic and sidewalks are definitely better. But in some ways they’re worse.

1 Like

ok put korea down a notch. i stand by the others though mostly.

In terms of same-sex marriage, in a gay marriage thread, it is undeniable that Taiwan is more progressive at this point than South Korea or Japan.

1 Like

thats not my point. the image being projected and that will be projected for the near future of taiwan is going to be ‘progressive’ thats the face giver. the distinction in relation to gay rights will not be made.

I appreciate that it’s not your point.

Progressiveness isn’t a zero sum game. Taiwan is more progressive now than it was when same-sex marriage wasn’t permitted. If you have examples of people arguing that allowing same-sex marriage makes Taiwan progressive in every other area then link them and we can discuss those.

I don’t think Taiwan is progressive AT ALL compared to The West and South America but compared to a lot of Asia it stacks up pretty well.

Attitudes to single mothers and work suck bad here. Treatment of foreigners is generally very poor. But it goes with territory round here .

1 Like

i never said it wasn’t. but that alone doesn’t allow taiwan the right to boast about how progressive it is with all the other offenses considered.

Which nation could?

germany? holland? canada? as for asia japan is way ahead of the pack too.

look, this is good news, i just worry its a face move. i can see taiwan living off the glory of ‘most progressive country in asia’ for the next decade while doing shit all to progress on all of the other issues which need work.

Don’t worry. Next up is who can use which bathroom. :man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

They don’t need an amendment. If they take a page from Trump and openly promise to stack the Council of Grand Justices with (more) conservative judges, they can go for a re-re-interpretation instead of an amendment.

1 Like

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Consider that not only do negative thoughts and emotions destroy our experience of peace, they also undermine our health. — Dalai Lama

1 Like

Sorry, I meant @discobot fortune!

:crystal_ball: Outlook not so good