Wow been watching this guys 10 episode Youtube trip across Saudi Arabia, not what I expected at all. The country has opened up and liberalized more than ever the past 2-3 years.
- Women can drive
- Women no longer need chaperones
- Women and men can hold hands in public now
- Women can meet up with friends of opposite sex in public
- No more headscarves required
- Alcohol is legalized
- Some stores have gotten rid of separate lines for women
- M Bin Salman closed down The Religious police (which used to be everywhere)
- Wahabbists/ ISIS supporters have been kicked out of power/arrested by MBS.
- The old execution square is gone and Sharia law is majorly curtailed.
- Tourists can freely travel around the country now, even by themselves with rental cars.
- Saudi over seas Millennials seem to love the changes under MBS the new king and moving back.
- Many international businesses are encouraged/allowed to open now like AMC Theaters, Starbucks, Golds Gym, and other entertainment venues that were forbidden before.
- Women encouraged to participate in economy
- Saudi Aramco is now a publicly traded company
Seems like people there are very friendly too and down to earth. Seems like there is a lot of excitement in that country with 60% of Saudis under age 30 and they all seem to like what the New Young King is doing which is very different from the Western Medias portrayal of him.