Scooter accidents (2021 edition)

I’m not denying that any of these are problems. But these loaded topics go out of their way to paint Taiwan as if other countries do not experience their own similar yet different problems.

I did not say that.

But selfish thinking is a worldwide epidemic in a variety of situations all over society. This is the issue. We paint Taiwan as a place where the problems only exist here. We paint our countries as infalliable for having the same or similar problems.

Is a topic solely about listing scooter collisions that happen in Taiwan REALLY necessary?

Should I open a topic about the daily collisions that happen in Canada? Point to people who crashed and say ‘look! Look! Look at the Canadians! They crashed! Those Canadians have so many problems that we need to nitpick about. Canadians can’t anticipate Winter driving in November, how undeveloped, look at Toronto grind to a halt in collisions when it snows, how can they not anticipate it? How undeveloped, lingering third worldism etc…’

Almost ANY problem here. I can find a Canadian equivalent. I maybe see one collision every few months. Anecdotally, the same as when I was in Canada. I saw one yesterday morning. I didn’t say anything about it because it’s a collision. Whooo Carrress… The fact that people start a topic to list off collisions that happen here is either trying to paint Taiwan in an unnecessarily bad light or has morbid curiosity. We see a collision. Then what? We gonna help them or just take a photo to post here saying how bad everything is?

Taiwan’s not special. We just want to treat it like a zoo.

2 Likes

That what happens when you visit the monkey farm.
:hear_no_evil:

I get your points and agree. Except this is taiwan and a forum about taiwan so would be silly talking too much about canada aside from the fact youre from there and see differences

But yes, i do actually think taiwan is extra special in lacking spacial awareness, no matter how we swing it. Change starts with discussion. Threads like this are probably more useful to vent. Who knows, maybe someone above venting didnt kill someobe in a road rage incident haha. But ya, is this thread necessary? No. Most threads on every forum are not very useful. 99.9% of facebook isnt necessary. but here we are :slight_smile:

Think of what you guys are doing as therapy for frustrated folks.

2 Likes

How would one go about that task?

I imagine the egregiously reckless scooter drivers and others involved in accidents here are unlikely to thoughtfully consult this thread, quietly reflect on their bad behavior, and steadily change their ways. :upside_down_face:

Guy

2 Likes

That’s what I want to know. I’ve found it for most of Europe, America and Australia. But I can’t find it for Taiwan.

One more noisy kitted out scooter taken off the road.

1 Like

What’s that for?

Water cooling add on? Or oil cooler? Doesn’t really matter what you do to your scooter as driving fast on Taiwan’s streets is dangerous.

1 Like

As Belgium Pie said , a cooling system. This is common in drag racing. It cools down the engine quicker creating higher horse power. BTW the jury is out on that. The exhaust pipe muffler has also been changed to allow for greater output , as the owner would have increased the fuel intake ability. The cooling system is also useful for that, as it would get hotter quicker.
That scooter would shift fast.
He has ABS breaks too.

1 Like

Didn’t really help!

At least he can still use his cooler after or if he made it out of the hospital. The scooter sits there already for 3 days.

2 Likes

Years ago I was working in Mingquan West road and I found a parking where they were keeping track of the stadistics. Here are the last quarter of 2016. 89 deaths in one year just in Taipei City.

3 Likes

So sad. Couple killed.

Can’t tell who’s fault or if there was a red light or not but drunk driver anyway.

1 Like

the great thing about a loud exhaust is it alerts drivers. i’ve already lost track of the amount of times in a few short months driving here that someone in a car has given me the choice of getting out of the way or getting hit. not sure if they’re generally selfish or just idiots. this specific problem is definitely worse here than in thailand, although in thailand i had bigger and louder bikes.

oh man, i’ve been cruising around town the last few days enjoying the weather and checking out different corners of the district. haven’t been worried about drunk drivers :confused:

ever notice it is people with nice cars that most drive like assholes? on the scooters it seems to be pony-tails is the most reliable indicator…

i saw a couple today with a young baby being held by mom riding pillion; no helmet, made me sad. most of the helmets people wear here are garbage, even if they’re strapped on properly. i have an expensive helmet and lately have been pricing armoured jackets.

seems a lot of people run red lights down here. sometimes it is understandable because of the way the intersection is designed. but a lot of the time it is just running a red light. Sometimes people are going fast and go through the first few seconds of the red, sometimes people start early because they know the light the other way is red even if their’s isn’t green; i’m waiting to see this result in a crash but so far so good.

You’ll be waiting for a while. Everyone’s on the same page and everyone believes it’s not a big deal and everyone knows everyone does it so they wait at the green for a couple seconds.

Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing.

not here in k-town, as i said:

as well, there are always people who go off the bat, as soon as it turns green. maybe where you live is different

Probably.

Not so great is that it awakes sleepers at night. Completely selfish small-dick people needing attention.

4 Likes

How do you know the size of their dicks? :thinking:

Directly relates to the loudness of the exhaust.

2 Likes