Second US Stimulus Check

Another round for some people it seems. Not sure if citizens abroad will be included this time yet if it passes the house and gets the ok from Biden.

I was abroad for 5+ years and received both of my checks just like everybody else did. Is it because I didn’t file taxes? Im confused on why the government wouldn’t pay people abroad.

I can’t find the full details yet. But it’s possible they have certain restrictions. They already do if you make a certain level of income.

Nope, I didn’t get my second one. I’m trying to contact the IRS to find out why. Might be unrelated to living abroad, but I don’t know why at this point.

Living abroad doesn’t disqualify you for the first 2. So something must have went wrong.

Yes, maybe I’m in trouble with the IRS. :sweat_smile:

…

:sweat:

Probably their mistake. Many people haven’t received it.

They (we) will be.
I’ll post the link later.

regarding that extra $1400, it has yet to pass, and may not. some changes have been made and it seems that we here may get hosed if we can’t get our tax information in soon enough. see article:

Do we need to file 2020 taxes to get it?

read the article

I still haven’t filed my 2019 taxes… oops. probably why I haven’t gotten the $600 stimulus check

I did. It’s not clear to me.

If you made over 75k in 2019 but less than 75k in 2020 you need to file for 2020, otherwise you won’t qualify for a stimulus payment.

it seems unfair to make it based on 2020 since we have until April 15 to file taxes… that is if you’re located in the US.

IRS will use lower of either 2019 or 2020 to determine if you’re eligible for stimulus payment.

I guess if you ended up under the required amout for 2020, then you would want to file to prove you’re eligible, otherwise they’ll base it on 2019.

A lot of the decision to base it off of 2020 taxes is due to dependents.

People had babies in 2020 that didn’t exist in 2019 and need / want the stimulus payments for them.

No. But it will default to your 2019 taxes. So if you made less in 2019, great! But if you made more in 2019 and didn’t qualify, but less in 2020 and now do qualify then file ASAP. Also, if you have new dependents in 2020, then file ASAP.

1 Like

Then you won’t get anything.
File 2020 taxes ASAP and claim any previous stimulus payments you never got. Those missing payments will then be sent with your tax return from the IRS.