Selling stuff VS shipping

Can you give an estimate of what load and what price you paid?

What if I want to fly with my pet snake?

1 Like

got it covered

3 Likes

What if it’s like this?

1 Like

rubber snakes are fine

4 Likes

I don’t have many really important things I’d need to move, but once you consider moving a couple of things then you wonder if you can fill another box or two with other stuff.

For example, I have a small cabinet fully loaded with camera gear. And a medium format camera with a couple of lenses in another back pack. And a laptop. And a small, compact computer. And a couple of audio interfaces. And a couple of speakers. And a film scanner. And two displays, one of them pretty much new and not super cheap. And a freaking Newtonian telescope. And a microscope I upgraded myself with an LED and a dimmer, and some lenses. And lots of cables for this and that. And two guitars and a bass, although I guess I would really like to take with me one guitar and give up the other two instruments. And a bicycle I don’t want to leave behind. And several motorcycle helmets, of which I would like to take one with me because it was good and expensive. And a MIDI keyboard that I bought relatively cheap and that sells for not all that cheap. And if I had space, the aquarium chiller wasn’t cheap and I might use it in the future but I guess I can live without it. Bed sheets I don’t care until I need to buy them again. And like that many other things that are “cheap” until you pay again for all of them again, and it’s some money. Air cleaner and dehumidifier aren’t top notch but they are relatively good, I would take them only if they were cheap to move or I already had the space bought. Tools! I have two toolboxes full of shit for servicing bicycles and what not. Lots of papers, some CD’s, a bamboo tablet… normal clothes and hiking gear, a couple of backpacks for hiking, another one for laptop, another one for camera and lenses…

I mean, most of it I could do without but then I would have to buy again. And if I need to ship some stuff, I wonder if I can squeeze in some of the other stuff.

Right about here :point_up_2: I started feeling dizzy.

1 Like

When i moved here i used a crate shipping company, but unfortunately they dont have an office here, they dropped the crate off i filled it up and they sorted it out to the dock here, i just had to pick it up. it took around 2 months but was relatively easy.

1 Like

Just moved from Minnesota to Taiwan two months ago, so I’ve got a little knowledge of this stuff. We shipped a bunch of stuff. Pretty much all of our clothes, kids’ toys, vinyl records, books, pottery wheel, a table I built, etc. Even the kids’ John Deere Power Wheels car. My wife found a company that could get our stuff from LA to Keelung, and then they would truck our stuff from the port to our house (should be arriving sometime this week). But we had to find a US company to ship our stuff to LA. The cost for 62 boxes/items in a shipping container between LA and Taiwan was about $1200. Total cost for door-to-door, MN to Taoyuan, came out to a little over 4 grand USD. Figure between the cost of replacing everything, it was still way cheaper. Also, I have to mention this as someone working in sustainability, but the environmental cost to manufacture everything again would also be pretty high.

So if everything added up is cheaper, I’d ship it.

The name of the company we used was Ship2Taiwan, or Ship2Tw, one of those. I can get the Line ID from my wife if you need.

2 Likes

How much did you pay?

There’s Alaska airlines in Taiwan…?

Helpful for America though, thanks!

it was a few yers ago and i think it was around £1000 to £1500, it was much cheaper than selling and replacing the stuff, we ended up bringing bikes, studio equipment, computers, tv’s, in the end we had space left and ended up filling it with all sorts of things. the cost was for the size not the weight.

Try the Marie Kondo way and see if the stuff sparks joy.

Booking space in a container would be ideal if you want to keep majority of your things. Shipping fee may not be expensive, but the transport to and from ports could get up there, especially in US or EU.

Either way, good luck.

1 Like

not really, sorry, can’t remember the details (the last shipment had extra storage costs associated with my circumstances). anyways, it’ll depend on lost of things. contact the company if you want a better estimate. you need an idea of your volume, and your destination.

the prices have been consistent with what i see other people posting, though. and yeah, have always had space to tuck in some more stuff. I sold off a bunch of stuff that didn’t spark joy and that I couldn’t see myself using, but i also brought a lot of stuff

I’ve moved countries, 6 times in the last 30 years - While I’d like to take everything with move, if my next move is coming up soon (in fact maybe only 18-24 months way), I think I’d be tempted to ditch as much as possible and start again. However, I have noticed that there is a VERY small market for used stuff here, and it seems to sell for next to nothing. Taiwan (and Japan too, but that was many years ago) are the only 100-110v countries I’ve lived in, and my next destination is likely to be 240v again

3 Likes

… the last 2 or 3 moves, I’ve used Asian Tigers… not cheap (none of the ‘door-to-door’ services are), but great service, minimal breakages/issues/hassle

1 Like

First of all, thanks for the info! Good things for me to consider as I wonder what the heck I’m doing with my future, my possessions being a surprisingly big thing holding me back, no matter how much I minimize them.

Meh. With the exception of my ironware, oven, and microwave, almost everything I have here was bought used/gifted from people who left. They all still have life in them, and especially electronics are likely to be damaged in shipping overseas/warranties probably won’t apply if they stop working. There’s a trade off to consider. I figure it’d be better to pass something off to another expat that “needs” it than ship it Stateside, especially considering a lot of those items went from manufacturing in Asia to the US back to Asia (to be sold as imports in Taiwan). I also consider my carbon footprint, but the overwhelming majority of the things I would ship to the US could be easily acquired from a thrift store, rummage sale, free cycling, etc. within hours of landing. It really comes down to “irreplaceable” things that have an emotional connection (very important if moving with small children)

1 Like

I noticed this in Taiwan too, not much used market here, except for computers and phones. That and if you want to buy anything used in Taiwan guys are content to offer new prices for them and let them sit around for ages rather than get rid of them. That means if you are moving to Taiwan or other Asian countries you had to buy everything new.

I’m selling all my electronics and except some computers and my phone.
It turns out there’s a good market for 2nd hand clothes, shoes and goods on Facebook marketplace (depending on you patience dealing with some idiots and Chinese ability ) . People.bought my hiking boots and my sports shoes etc that I didn’t wear much :nerd_face:. In the old days I would just dump them or recycle them. They really like brands here, so emphasise if it is a brand. Evens something like Decathlon or IKEA.

We are using our move to get rid of loads of clothes and stuff we don’t use . We may ship some items such as swimming gear by sea , it’s working out at 9000 ntd for 50 kg. Turkish airlines would charge me 800nt per each extra kg over 30kg :no_mouth:
I got rid of my books except for a few favourites. Anything heavy or large items you really have to think whether you really need it or just buy again overseas. I also don’t think I’m going to ship one single piece of furniture or large item. Too much hassle. We have given some items free to migrant workers and families with young kids too.

3 Likes

That’s not bad… would be happy to hear how this all goes eventually. Tihs info is very useful

Hope all goes well for you

1 Like