Selling stuff VS shipping

It’s actually 6000ntd to the UK sea freight , but it needs to add 3000ntd to transfer again onwards from the UK. So it’s probably about 6000ntd to 9000ntd to ship to mainland Europe most places for 50Kg. I would not ship anything precious by sea though. That goes with me.
I had a cheapo telescope and I sold it already here as I will buy a much better one later. I would crap myself shipping a proper telescope by sea. That is a real dilemma. If it is very expensive would want to get insurance on it.

I’m a bit confused about these numbers. 9,000NT for 50kg, and 800NT per kg. where did you get the 9,000 for 50kg quotation?

Sea shipping 50kg Taiwan to UK , 6000ntd quote.
Cubic Logistics. Door to Door. Not clear on how long yet.

Shipping by air is ridiculously expensive right now, Turkish airlines charging excess baggage at 800nt per KG.

1 Like

What company? Is it a door to door service? delivery time?

Yeah that makes sense. It’s finding that balance between do I want it, do I need it, can anyone use it–like actually use it? We didn’t ship our TVs or anything like that. But for instance, kids clothes add up, and we can use all the hand-me-downs from the five year old for the one year old. My wife’s parents keep asking why we shipped our stuff, can’t we just buy stuff here? She’s like yeah, but we don’t want to buy it all again. That seems wasteful…So I’m just suggesting if you’re going to buy it again, and it ships well, then keep it.

But yeah, there’s always people coming and going here who can use stuff. As long as it finds a life with someone that’s all that matters.

1 Like

Most US airlines charge you US$200 if you go over 50 lbs by an ounce (no idea what they do if your bag is over 75lbs), so your “insane” price is looking quite cheap to me!

1 Like

Facebook is full of second hand pages. Most people seem to be selling their stuff for barely less than the new price. There’s also Forumosa, but things up for sale on here are much more rare.

Thanks @nz for the update… I’m not really a FB user… I’ll try to take a look

I stopped selling stuff on facebook marketplace because if I post an ad in English the only people who answers are migrant workers who are often very difficult to deal with.

I feel Ruten might be a better place to sell second hand stuff…

1 Like

And @Wombat, I’m actually not on Facebook. They disabled my account when I didn’t give them my phone number because it “violated their community guidelines”, so I only know what I’ve seen when borrowing other peoples accounts, which is a lot. But I can understand if there are problems

1 Like

When I left Taiwan, 19 months ago, my expensive stuff was sent via post office, the real expensive stuff came with me on the flight out. I started sending stuff out 6 months in advance.
I sent other stuff via a shipping company.
I posted this in another thread:

I can recommend one company. After sending around 40 emails to companies and receiving about 4 replies back, one seemed the most professional.
Helped me ship 315 KG to the UK. Cost around 22,000NT, but that did not include costs in the UK. They also got me in touch with a shipping agent in the UK who gave me a quote, to get it to my address from the port.
I took up that offer instead of doing it all myself. The savings would have been about 3000NT, doing it myself, but I would not have had to travel 5 hours there and back to the port plus waiting, returning hired vans, etc…
I only sent things that could not be replaced or would cost more to buy again. No point sending a bed for example.
And look up anything like transfer of residence. You may get stung for duty otherwise.
Rainbow International Logistics Co., Ltd.

采 鴻 國 際 物 流 有 限 公 司
a: 5F-1, No.176, Sec.1, Zhongxiao East Road, Zhongzheng

Dist., Taipei City 10050 Taiwan

p: +886-2-23910655 f: +886-2-23910650

w: www.rblogistics.com.tw

This guy sorted it for me. Speaks English:
Cell & Whatsapp: +886-925333452
Email: andy@rblogistics.com.tw
QQ: 3142153181
WeChat: andyhih

4 Likes

That’s some serious luggage! you took a motorcycle with you or something?

1 Like

A producer’s desk, synth rack and 7 tier Hi-fi stand were the heavy items.
I designed and made them in a friend’s woodwork shop in Taipei. Wood and steel adds up.
To replace them, I would have had to have made them again. As a similar generic desk costs 20,000 NT, I was always going to send them back. They were designed to be taken apart and be shipped easily.

1 Like

Cool. And I would feel bad if I had to part ways from my humble Roland a-49 and had to buy it again xD

1 Like

I wonder what the cost to ship lathes and mill would be…

Container and air freight change every week or 2. Its not really possible to ask for a price for months later.

Pre price gouing i would definately ship a containe back becahse canada is quite expensive. Something worth noting if you hav mahunes and such. Might be hard to import if not properly cerified for safety, environment etc. Scooters for example often dont have catalytic converters and may not pass your countries regulations.

Often times people brek apart such things as the duties are cheaper that way. Abroker can help out with that.

@deepshelter contact BAPHIQ on exporting animals. Depends on species, but thy will set you straight with ppaerwork. Heck your destination. Most flights have animal holdin areas and are quite easy to ship pets with you. Declare on arrival and go through their quaranine procedures.

Note many species are CITES, make sure you have that paperwork if ou carry them (monitors, boids etc are all CITES)

https://www.baphiq.gov.tw/en/

1 Like

Take the motor out and ship separately, taxes will be cheaper. Ask your broker if they have suggestions on other pieces to take off for tax savings.

2 Likes

So even if it’s personal property they still charge a tax?

I think the motor will have to come off eventually, these are all 3 phase motors, and not having 3 phase power is sometimes a bit limiting.

Yes, everything is taxed. If you are moving personal property you could argue that perhaps. But you need to prove it probably given you live here not there for a while. Not sure how that would pan out for machinery.

So I need to take back this recommendation. I would definitely recommend not using this shipping company. Just got our stuff delivered last night. We got all 62 items. Some of them in multiple pieces. So we have a number of things to fix. Each box of books was carefully placed onto of boxes full of light squishy stuff, and then shipped for two months. When you’re stacking boxes, it’s always a good idea to put vinyl records on top of boxes that weigh approximately 5 pounds. The cover for a box of files was just gone. And we got a set of slats for a bed frame and a couch. I feel really bad for whoever the actually owns that stuff. The couch is pretty nice.

6 Likes