Senator John McCain passes away at age 81

Part of the “appeal” of Reagan, Bush 43, Palin, and Trump (all 4) is that Reagan really severely profoundly back-footed the Democrats. It took Democrats forever to “get” Reagan, to understand his appeal. The Republicans were able to make much hay during the befuddlement of the Democrats. Same with Bush 43. Palin was a reach too far, and Trump may be one as well. Although lord knows Democrats are struggling to understand why Trump is still semi-popular.

Anyway, nominating a person who is obviously not an academic is as Republican as nominating a person who is obviously an academic is Democratic.

That’s an interesting standalone point, but I’ve now read it several times and still can’t see how it’s a response to my comment.

Are you suggesting that Reagan was the original Trump?

Yes.

I should have also mentioned that I agree that thirty years of neoliberal economic policies are the reason for the rise of Trump’s brand of populism.

And while Trump had to defeat 17 more traditional Republicans before he captured the nomination, I think one reason the GOP came around so quickly was that prominent Republicans could see why he might win election. After all, Reagan, too, had been the subject of mocking and personal insults by Democrats. It can be a winner for Republicans if Democrats are unable to raise their game.

Not sure I agree with this. You see, part of the Trump agenda is neoliberal. His push for red tape reduction? Hugely neoliberal. Trump's 2018 Regulatory Reform Agenda By the Numbers

What Trump has done is essentially what Reagan did well (pursuing corporate policies and a few symbolic populist ones to attract Reagan Democrats in states not originally in play). As someone who respects politicians with the common touch, I think he is quite skillful in juggling the two.

But make no mistake about it – the reality tv culture today combined with the ascendency of Palin-like candidates into the mainstream that McCain opened Pandora`s Box for back in 2008 – they have hugely influenced the electorate that votes for non-traditional candidates and non policy wonks. I have no problems with that, but then again I am unrepentant poujadist. The Democrat-voting media elites alway prefer the CV. It is why they loved Hillary (and her decades of government) and McCain (naval pedigree, quintessential Washington insiders, etc.) even though he was nominally a Republican.

1 Like

Huey Long is an earlier candidate.

It’s difficult to find any fault in anything you say there, ChewDawg. My point is why people are voting for Trump - let’s say push factors rather than pull factors.

Life expectancy is falling in the USA and the UK. As always somebody has come up with a term for it - shit life syndrome.

A hero. A maverick. Here’s but one glorious example.

https://youtu.be/TUVYYiRIuE4

Forumosa has become a trash heap. Just look at the vile hatred that gets tolerated from the right on here. Good thing I have ad blocker :wink:

1 Like

Where?

Yes, but we have to tolerate the vile hatred from the "wrong " :wink:

2 Likes

There’s a difference between allowing people to voice their opinions without compelling their speech to “tolerate”. You really can’t have free speech on a topic if you don’t want to offend anyone.

1 Like

I struggle to figure out what’s up or down anymore. I can’t see any vile opinions in this thread. Was doJapan being ironic?

First, McCain has made an incredible sacrifice for his country, and I send my condolences to his family. Nevertheless, it could be could be his brass balls or his antipathy towards Trump, either way he prevented the recall of Obamacare (against the majority of his colleagues) and had continued to hold up votes in the Senate. A stubborn old man until the end. He told death when he was ready. I believe he always had his convictions in his heart. However, his lack of votes did no good at all.

You’re one to talk. Look in the mirror, buddy.

He was a fighter, and that’s fine as far as it goes. Nothing more contemptible than a wimp.

He was persistent. That’s admirable.

But he wasn’t a winner. He kept getting shot down. What did he lack? Calculation, insight and situation awareness. He just wasn’t smart enough.

3 Likes

Ouch

I mostly agree. I admired his consistency, persistence and courage. But I still never wanted to vote for him.

That’s where the rubber meets the road.

I met him once. He didn’t overwhelm me.

just another old codger wanting to not give up the power he was able to wield as a senator.
to me, he and Ed Kennedy will only be remembered as dying in office as senators at an old age after a long battle with cancer. maybe i am in the extreme minority, but i shed no tears.

I could not agree more with your comments. He graduated almost last in his class, crashed his plane during training, almost got killed in the Forrestal fire, then got shot down in Vietnam. Not really a winner indeed. Courage in spades but not exceptionally bright and showing poor judgement at times (e.g., Keating scandal, comments about Chelsea Clinton, divorcing his wife to marry a beer heiress after she lobbied for him during his captivity).

Democrats love him because he sided with them a lot of times, just as Republican-mined people (myself included) like Republican-minded Dems such as Lieberman.

1 Like

The mainstream media loved him because he was easy to beat. They insincerely gushed over him in the 2008 primary to help him win that. Then the knives came out for the general election.

I bet he never saw it coming.

And disinviting The Donald to the funeral? Petty. Whose wishes?

1 Like