Senator John McCain passes away at age 81

The last few posts are going to look very odd, now.

I blame the MSM and George Soros!

Mod note. @bluejasn DON’T delete your posts in future, it fucks the entire thread up and no one knows what you posted or were talking about.

5.17. Deleting Posts. Please do not edit the content of your posts to the point that replies to that post become meaningless – this diminishes the value of the entire thread. For the same reason, deleting entire posts is strictly verboten, (unless one is removing an accidental duplicate post).

I think it’s funnier without the photos. Adds a degree of surrealism to the thread.

If @bluejasn puts the photos in question back up, Ill move this thread back to the main thread.

edit. never mind, reverted the posts myself.

I think we can leave this for the Temp

It’s ok, someone was bound to bring this up sooner or later.

It’s a shame that McCain didn’t win the 2000 Republican Primary. I think losing that primary caused him to pander hard to the far right voters, such as selecting Palin in 2008, and saying many things that contradicted his stance in the past. This lost him his main appeal as a centrist Republican in the eyes of the public.

I guess unless the voting system is fixed, which includes fixing the electoral college, big money, and gerrymandering, the far right will continue to lord over the Republican party, having strong support for a minority of people and regions.

1 Like

He was never a centrist. He was a randomist. Forever loyal to the whim of the moment.

A trip down memory lane…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdKL2LW1xYM

http://scrappleface.com/blog/2018/08/28/trump-on-mccain-i-like-people-who-dont-die/

Dead people are useless. They just lie there.

1 Like

How is fellow Neo-Con war maniac Lindsey Graham taking it all?
It seemed McCain and him were in cahoots trying to mess up anything Trump was trying to achieve.

1 Like

He’s getting thrown under the bus…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2018/08/28/lindsey-graham-is-very-confused/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.398145c4f1d9

You can’t please everyone.

To some people, the only good Republican is a dead Republican. They will, however, grudgingly tolerate an ineffective one.

John McCain has been both.

1 Like

Sarah Palin told to stay away from funeral.

If they’re trying to control the optics this way, it’s going to backfire.

If by randomist you mean doesn’t follow the party line, then sure. That’s why they called him the Maverick. He probably felt that he didn’t change, the GOP changed.

Prior to the 2008 election, he was pretty consistent. Except for his unwavering support for the military, and his willingness to put it to use, he was not an ideologue.

That all changed when he started his 2008 campaign. He was willing to be the puppet of Big Money to win the election. Had his opponent been anyone else than Obama, he probably would have won. Although that did tarnish his Maverick image.

There are mavericks in both parties going back forever. William Borah – maverick. Scoop Jackson – maverick. Joe Lieberman – maverick. But I would argue these senators were superior in that they were somewhat predictable and often very bright (and surrounded themselves with people that were exceptionally bright). Not sure if one could say the same about McCain.

His reported IQ was 133, which would class him as gifted. Nixon supposedly scored 143 which classed him as a low level genius. JFK was only 119 - lower than the average for teachers.

Whether those scores are accurate is another matter.

He certainly did not apply such gifted skills at the Naval Academy (graduating 2 or 3 from the bottom if I remember correctly).

I think the excuse was that he was too rebellious. Who knows?

Out of 899 graduates in McCain’s class, only four had worse grades. He graduated in the bottom 1 percent of his Annapolis class. Not all of that was discipline.

Could be worse. The leader of the opposition in the UK got two Es at A-level. If he’d managed to nab a third it could have been a small rave.