SEQALU: Formosa 1867 (aka Lady the Butterfly), Karisi Flowers (傀儡花) (Spoiler Alert)

Thank you! I was thinking of the Taiwanese lâng, but assumed it sounded closer to modern dialects of Southern Chinese just by coincidence. For me it was an achievement just to spot when Tokitok started speaking a few words of what I thought was Taiwanese, but I guess must have been Hakka, to the leader of Baoli.

Not sure, but they are not the only indigenous group that refers to the Han ethnicity that way. Pinuyumayan, Rukai, uses this exact spelling, and the Tao people says Paizang.

The Paiwan language has another words to refer to Han people, ljautjia, which comes from 老爺 or 老爹 in Taigi, láu-iâ, láu-tia.

2 Likes

Does anyone know where present day Tonglinpu is located? I’m fascinated with the history. In-laws are from the Hengchun area and based off their family history they were some of the original Hakka settlers. After watching the series I now understand why they are so damn mean.

Oh, they refer to the Han that way. Odd.

I made a map before

1 Like

Since Thong-nia-poo is north of the Sichong river, and much closer to the Holo village of Tsha-siann, I can see why leasing that land to the Hakka in Po-lik could cause so much strife between the two Han ethnic groups.

In Le Gendre’s report, the Hakka were favored by the Seqalu because they had the ability to make and fix guns. Le Gendre also seems to indicate that Po-lik is the place where commerce is conducted instead of Sia-liau as portrayed in the series. Although, I wouldn’t trust every conclusion Le Gendre makes.

That’s an amazing scene.

It also makes me wonder where Grand Chief Cuqicuq learned Hakka from. My instinct is that it has something to do with Thiap-moi’s parents.

1 Like

Can be watched on the TaiwanPlus website:

2 Likes

Youtube recommended this video to me yesterday, and I shared it to the Austronesian expansion thread. However, I didn’t get to watch the whole thing until last night. While watching it, the Taiwanese host visited a Paiwan pottery maker, Masiswagger Zingrur, who is trying to revive traditional pottery making.

The moment Masiswagger Zingrur popped on the screen, I was like… isn’t that Second Chief Isak?

5 Likes

Found this map showing a view of the greater Ljangaw area.

Seqalu: Formosa 1867 cleans up at this year’s Golden Bell Awards.

Guy

5 Likes

It wasn’t perfect, but it was an ambitious project that did many aspects very well, especially all the efforts to bring the cultures of that era back to life.

1 Like

By the way, I just realized that Lieutenant Commander Alexander Slidell MacKenzie, who sadly lost his life at the hands of the Seqalu tribal alliance, was a nephew of Matthew Perry.

The Commodore Perry who opened up Japan for trade with his black ships. Not the one who made a lot of money on Friends and then suffered from his substance abuse then recently wrote a book about it.

5 Likes

https://www.academia.edu/30087076/_Photographic_views_in_Notes_of_travel_in_Formosa_Charles_Wm_Le_Gendre_Notes_of_travel_in_Formosa_Douglas_Fix_and_John_Shufelt_eds_Tainan_National_Museum_of_Taiwan_History_2012_Pp_xxxv_xlix

Found a paper on Le Gendre’s unpublished Notes of travel in Formosa. A version of this notes is housed at Wasada university in Japan because Le Gendre was compiling it for his Japanese employers back in 1874, shortly before the fated Japanese invasion known as the Mudan incident. Another version is housed at the Manuscript Room at the Library of Congress.

This photo would have been taking in the capital of Seqalu, Ciljasuaq (Tuiasak/Taoo-Siah/Taosiah), where Cuqicuq Garuljigulj (Toktitok/Tauketok) lived.

Le Gendre annotated the photo as such:

I was anxious to get a photographic view of the village; but, as it was built on the side of a very steep hill, it was difficult to take. Besides, the aborigines, not understanding what we were doing, raised some objections, which the photographer at first, was disinclined to ignore; but, after explaining to the priestess in the best way I could, the use of the apparatus, I invited those who had no desire to appear in the picture to withdraw, so that they would not, at least, interfere with the operations of the artist, whom I then set to work. The priestess proved herself to be a friend, for, having seen me stand before the much-dreaded instrument without any other harm happening to me than having my figure reproduced on the glass, she deliberately went to the top of a house, and offered herself as a subject for the photographer. If this did not procure us a good specimen of the features of these people, it at least gave us a fair representation of their houses: This much being achieved, I advised the photographer to go to another place, and take what view he could of the country, while I went into the houses to superintend the distribution of the presents. I made this ceremony last for as long a time as I thought would be required for the execution of my instructions to the photographer, and also to inspect the inside of the habitations used by my hosts.

So I guess the woman in the middle is the high priestess of Ciljasuaq.

Photo of Le Gendre at Shyamari (Sabaree), the village of Second Chief Isak. Captain Wallace and Mia can also be seen next to Le Gendre. Le Gendre had placed a photo of William Pickering on top of the door to the bamboo hut on the right, to show the residents of Shyamari what the camera does.

3 Likes

https://hpcbristol.net/photographer/edwards-st-julian-h

Photos taken by St Julian H. Edwards. He lived in Amoy, and has a photo studio there. He traveled through Taiwan a couple of times. Once with Dr James Laidlaw Maxwell Sr. through Southern Taiwan, and the other with John Dodd in 1864 to take photos of Dodd’s oil well in present day Miaoli. Le Gendre went on the same trip with John Dodd in 1869. However, Le Gendre used several photos taken by St Julian H. Edwards in his own reports and books.

I just learned of this. After Le Gendre helped Japan plan their invasion of Taiwan for the Mudan incident, he stayed in Japan. He never divorced his American wife, but married an illegitimate daughter of Matsudaira Yoshinaga, a Japanese daimyo.

This is Le Gendre’s son. Who was a famous kabuki actor, known as Ichimura Uzaemon XV. His Japanese name was 市村 録太郎 (Ichimura Rokutarou).

image image

Compare that photo with Le Gendre’s.

3 Likes