Setting up a business - tattoo artist

Hello Forumosa!

Moving to Taiwan shortly with my husband and I want to continue my trade as a tattoo artist. I was wondering if anyone has any recent information about setting up a business in Taiwan, as most threads seems to be a couple of years old. My suspicion is that some things might have changed as of 2018, considering all the other legislation that was changed for foreign workers in Taiwan. Neither me or my husband is Taiwanese if that matters. I’ve already contacted JusRegal, I’m wondering if there are any other decent options though.

I have the start up capital that I hear quoted everywhere, but I’ve also read that you need to make NTD3m in sales in a year to be able to continue your work permit/business? Is this still correct?
Is there anyone out there that has started a business within the last 2-3yrs who sells goods/services directly to Taiwanese consumers (not online) that I could get in touch with?

Thanks!

My apologies for responding separately from your inquiry, but my wife was formerly an apprentice in California, and is very interested in getting back into the trade. If you do wind up setting up shop here in Taiwan, and you are interested in taking on an apprentice, or need help starting your business up, please let me know. As any other apprenticeship, we’d be willing to pay for her training, which can be counted as services rendered, as well as assisting in fulfilling customer needs.

On topic, I have several friends who have started up private Bushiban schools (cram school) here in Taiwan, but none that sell products. I’ll keep my ear out though and ask if they know about the sales requirement.

Won’t be taking in an apprentice until second year or so, no point having one unless there’s something for them to do/learn from. However, if she just wants to hang out/draw/talk tattoos I’m all up for that.

On topic, I have several friends who have started up private Bushiban schools (cram school) here in Taiwan, but none that sell products. I’ll keep my ear out though and ask if they know about the sales requirement.

Thanks! My business is a whole different animal as I’d basically be operating as a freelancer, at least to begin with. Seems to be a very bumpy ride though, contacted Vincent at JusRegal yesterday and got a reply from him basically saying there’s no point in setting up such a tiny business considering the cost (even though I have the money needed). Then, I once again had it suggested to me that I just give up and work illegally as an English teacher. Very sick and tired of hearing that as a “solution” to my problems. I’m not from an English speaking country and not very fond of kids. Seems to be all the Taiwanese have to say/suggest though.

That is true and AFAIK nothing had been changed. Also, you know, after setting your business, practically, you still cannot legally work. You can be a director only. Which means you have to hire somebody else. And that one should be local or the person with an open work permit. Otherwise the requirements to hire a foreigner are even higher…

1 Like

Jeez. Shouldn’t there be some form of loophole though? Basically, the way the tattoo industry works worldwide, you are the company, manager, art director, tattooer, everything. The problem is there is no “hiring” of tattoo artists, which is why I need to find some way to be able to continue my business on my own.

It is still not Taiwan’s goal to make immigration overly easy. If you are hired by a Taiwan company, that’s fine, if you are not useful anymore, they kick you out and you leave. If you are married to a local, they kind of have to let you in.

But if you run your own business, you have to prove you can pull your weight. Hence the high revenue threshold.

There are ways around this of course cough creative revenue accounting cough, but opening a trading/import-export business would be easier for that.

Actually, the company can sponsor your work permit and you can then legally do actual work. So @Needles would be able to work in her shop.

Yes, but the requirement for company’s revenue is somewhat higher to hire a foreigner (~10M as I remember)

What would it cost a local person to create a company? I imagine the costs are slightly different. @Needles How many clients do you think you can average monthly? And how much would you charge per session? Or do you charge by the tattoo? Or is it a combination of both or something entirely different?
Would you be willing to ask a local to create the company and then hire you? Is that even possible legally? If it is ok to do things this way, how much would you have to pay the local to be your “boss”? And where are you planning to set up shop?

What about an Artist work permit? Contact Ministry of Labour and ask for asvice there.

Except that using C.R.A.P. (Creative Revenue Accounting Practices) could land the OP in deep shit.

But the trading company idea is a good idea. Maybe specially in import/ export of tattoo related products? Like temporary tattoos that the OP designs and can help apply on the customer.

And maybe that could be used to upsell the customer to a permanent tattoo if the customer likes having it.

The.minimum capital requirement only applies for other companies hiring you. If you own the company and are the fuzeren you can get a work permit through your own company and work for it, regardless of the capital.

1 Like

Information in the following thread might be useful on setting up a business.

you can get a work permit for you, but 3M turnover is required to keep it.

1 Like

The way it looks right now is quite bleak, unless I can set up a sole proprietorship, I can’t continue my career as a tattoo artist in Taiwan. The requirements are just too steep. Opening a Limited company, even if I can legally work, would require me to move every penny I own out of my current bank accounts to Taiwan, which I am extremely uncomfortable with. I’ve tried the artist work permit route, but my papers came back with a stamp saying “not qualified” without further reason, (I’ve got 5+ years of experience doing both tattoos and art exhibitions, various diplomas, a bachelors and I speak Chinese) called MOL and they said the reason was that they don’t consider what I do to be art, or something the like.

Even though my husband can support both me and him on his wage and we could go and live in Taiwan for a while, I can’t give up on a good career just to sit and be a housewife or a small time translator. It just doesn’t seem reasonable. We’ll see what happens.

What happened?

Decided to go to Hong Kong instead! I have a work permit through my husbands visa and it allows me to work wherever and set up businesses too. So now I’m tattooing at Blackout tattoo.
Got no plans on going to Taiwan anymore as it’s quite a bit behind when it comes to these things. Tried every possible route I know, but it was all uncertainties or dead ends.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, even though things didn’t work out as planned. I hope Hong Kong is treating you well.