Setting up Supermemo for your Palm

I think Supermemo is the fastest way to learn characters.
Really I do, but I made this thread to help people set it up on their palm, not to hype up Supermemo (too much :wink: ).

First take a look at www.supermemo.com to get an idea about how supermemo works.

Then go to www.mapletop.com to purchase your copy of supermemo for the palm.

Next you have to choose a Chinese OS for the palm. I just got done testing these three.
dyts.com/en/ (the CJKOS that many people are familiar with)
youbesoft.com/ (came pakaged with my palm)
pd.com.tw (Palm Dragon)

Iā€™ve been using the YouBeSoft package for almost three months now. Today I tried those other 2 OSā€™s and it turns out that Palm Dragon is the best looking of the 3. So good looking that Iā€™m going to buy that one even though YouBeSoft came free. CJKOS looked the worst. I tested the three softwares on a Tungsten T, so maybe the others look better on different versions of Palm (but Iā€™ve read the Palm Dragon really is the best looking). You can test CJKOS and PD for free (not sure about UBsoft).

If you need help installing Palm Dragon (because it lacks English instructions) see: www.geocities.com/palmroc/palm_dragon.html (these setup instructions are for an older version of the software, but they were still helpful for me)

After youā€™ve bought Supermemo and installed a Chinese OS, the only thing left to do is create a database of flash cards which is really easy to do.

casey, I think I will install that palm dragon first then the supermemo can come later :slight_smile:

ax

A few more things. CJKOS version 4.27 does NOT work for OS 5. But I did find a link to the beta version thatā€™s OS 5 compatible. I had no problem getting the beta version to work. Heā€™s a quote from www.palmgear.com

[quote]02-Mar-03 by Andrew Archie
Iā€™ve requested through email for a link to the Palm OS 5 version for my Tungsten T and to my surprise a reply was responded on the same day. It works well for my GB needs. It even auto display my mp3 filename in GB with aeroplayer. For benefit of all here is the link to the beta version zztechs.com/longrand/cjkos45_retail_0102.zip[/quote]
I do remember that the YouBeSoft Chinese OS does have a free trial period.

Iā€™d also like to hype up supermemo some more. A friend of mine said Chinese has the most idioms of any other language. For you advanced Chinese learners you could use Supermemo to make a database of Chinese idioms.

Another side note, CJKOS stands for Chinese Japanese Korean OS. So for those of you interested in learning Japanese or Korean as well, that might be the OS for you.

Whoā€™s casey?

Can anyone help me figure out how to register/buy Palm Dragon? I clicked through all of itā€™s webpages and could find a price or a way to register it.

www.pd.com.tw (All in Chinese)

Thanks

You can buy a copy at Gozli.

No. 33, Lane 3, Linyi St.,
Taipei 10046, Taiwan
TEL: +886-2-2393-9869

www.gozli.com.tw

Tryto go early in the day before they get busy and the services is excellent.

I really don;t know why you would buy this ā€“ the Yoube Chinese seems much better integrated into the new PalmOS.

You might be right, but the only thing Iā€™m using the Chinese OS for is learning characters with Supermemo. Palm Dragonā€™s Characters look MUCH clearer then YouBeSoftā€™s characters in Supermemo. I canā€™t comment on anything outside of that.

I aslo think the Pen input thingy that comes with Palm Dragon is better then the YouBeSoft one ( www.penpower.com.tw ).
But in the end Iā€™m just choosing PD because of how good the characters look in Supermemo.

Miltownkid,

I was interested to see you comment about how ā€œgoodā€ the characters look in Supermemo.

I bought Supermemo recently, but Iā€™ve found the program to be un-useable because the resolution of the flashcard screen is so low that you lose all the detail of the characters, and so many are unrecognisable.

I have a Sony PDA with a high-resolution (320x320) screen, but the Supermemo flashcard display only uses the original Palm resolution of 160x160.

I checked with the company that wrote it and they said there is no way to change this as a user. From what they told me, a new version to fix this isnā€™t likely to be released anytime soon.

In the end I have reluctantly switched to another flashcard program called Anki (www.anki.com). It isnā€™t as good as Supermemo, as you have to create your flashcards on a PC first, and it doesnā€™t have the ā€œintelligentā€ memory/testing of Supermemo, but at least you can recognise the characters!

Regards,
Ben

The PalmDragon website is pd.com.tw/index.jsp

They appear to be changing the name to HandDragon.

(The previous URL points to a some kind of printer.)

Only downside of Palm/HandDragon is that the installation is in Chinese, so if youā€™re a newbie then you might need a chinese reading friend to help you install it (and you will need a chinese font installed on your PC.)

Other than this, Iā€™ve found it a very good program.

It would be nice if it could use the memorystick to store some of its databases.

Regards,
Ben

This is how I work it. With the Palm Dragon/Hand Dragon, I would say that the characters look good enough to practice with it without using the below decribed method.

But if you still think the small crappy factor is too large, when youā€™re testing or drilling, you can tap on the screen to get the card edit screen and look at the character in there. If you have a high rez PDA the character should look really nice. Just cover up the answer and look at the character in the edit screen, Thatā€™s what I did when I was using the UBsoft version. But I can honestly say that with the Palm/Hand Dragon software, the characters look good enough not to do that. But I would suggest testing everything before you decided to purchase. Supermemo and all of the Chinese OSā€™s have free trials, then a person can see for them selves if it will help them (or not). Since Iā€™ve started using it I have had an average of about 10 new vacobulary words a day (not characters), I think Iā€™ll be able to push that number up to 20, maybe even thirty when I start serious study.

If youā€™re talking about the character databases, I think you can (with Palm Dragon). It seems like it from the looks of the option screen. I know you can with CJKOS.

Iā€™ve just installed Palm Dragon, Supermemo, and the Oxford C-E dictionary and it seems like 1) itā€™s not possible to open both the dictionary and Supermemo at the same time, which would be really useful when making cards, and 2) if I copy an entry from the dictionary and paste in Supermemo, the characters get all screwed up. Any ideas?

OKā€¦

First, you canā€™t open ANY two Palm apps at the same time. Thatā€™s because of the structure of the Palm OS. You can switch back and forth pretty easily if you assign both programs to a ā€œhot buttonā€ (Iā€™ve got the Oxford Dictionary on the ā€œcalculatorā€ silkscreen button, and Supermemo on the ā€œTo Do Listā€ button, for example. That makes it quick to go back and forth. I have gotten the occasional ā€œchunk overlockā€ error message, usually when switching repeatedly between these two, in the past, but a soft reset takes care of that.)

The new version of the Oxford Dictionary has a built-in flashcard function which isnā€™t bad. I donā€™t believe the algorithm is as robust as Supermemo for learning purposes, but itā€™s something.

I also get the ā€œcharacter screwup when pastingā€. Probably you have your OS set on BIG-5 and Oxford is based on GB codeā€¦?? I think thatā€™s what causes it. Anyway havenā€™t found any way around it yet. I just re-key or re-write the characters, figuring that thatā€™s ā€œhealthyā€ anyway. :cry:

Go into options in the Oxford dictionary and uncheck ā€œEnable Chinese Displayā€, then it will work.

Here are some screen shots of how supermemo looks when using Chinese characters. You can decide for yourself if itā€™s worth paying for or not. The way the characters look does vary depending on the Chinese OS you install. The one shown is Palm Dragon.

How are the prices in Taiwan for handheld products? What do all of you recommend?

Kong

I wonder if anyone here could help me out with a palm related question? Iā€™ve set up some flashcards in the oxford dictionary but I donā€™t seem to be able to edit the entry. The whole dictionary entry comes up for each character but Iā€™d sometimes like to delete some of it or change it. Can anyone tell me how to do that?

Also, I donā€™t suppose anyone knows of anywhere I could get hold of an electronic version of the HSK vocab lists?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Jo

[quote]I wonder if anyone here could help me out with a palm related question? Iā€™ve set up some flashcards in the oxford dictionary but I donā€™t seem to be able to edit the entry. The whole dictionary entry comes up for each character but Iā€™d sometimes like to delete some of it or change it. Can anyone tell me how to do that?

Also, I donā€™t suppose anyone knows of anywhere I could get hold of an electronic version of the HSK vocab lists? [/quote]

Iā€™d say just use Supermemo. Itā€™s a little more trouble to copy entries from the dictionary, but gives you more flexibility about what to put on the card. And of course itā€™s more intelligent and super cool.

What are the HSK vocab lists?

Jo, I believe that at present you canā€™t change the flashcards. It says something about that and the reason for it in the user manual.

Thanks for your replies. Now that Iā€™ve checked the manual properly it turns out that you can edit the entry - or at least delete the unwanted bits. I will try out supermemo anyway though, as itā€™s got such good reviews.

cheers, Jo

Yes, I remembered that wrong about the user manual.

Supermemo is more than a flashcard program. Itā€™s definitely worth reading the articles on
supermemo.com/english/contents.htm

before going to the Palm-specific site at
mapletop.com/

Well, I tried the supermemo trial, and I liked it so much I bought it. But now I have another question. Is there any way I can transfer the flashcard sets I have already set up in the Oxford dictionary to supermemo ā€¦ or do I really have to type the whole lot in again?

Also, I have tried importing databases from a text file, but the Chinese words just come out as question marks (although the English text comes through ok). I donā€™t have a real chinese input package set up on my pc (just a little microsoft internet explorer language pack). Do I need to install something better? (Iā€™m using CJKOS on the palm, by the way.)

Thanks for your help, Jo