Sexual compatability

I’ve been with my girlfriend for two years now. We love each other, get on, share things in common - some that would be very hard to find in another. Generally things are good.

There’s just one fly in the ointment. Sex. She’s not exactly conservative, though probably more than me. It’s mostly that it has become too regular and not frequent enough - more often than not, once a week, at the weekend. Relatively predictably. If I play my cards right at the weekend, I get it. I know that if I try to initiate it during the week, most likely, I’ll get knocked back with “I want to sleep”. She doesn’t mean it to sound like a personal rejection, but after enough times, that’s how it feels.

This would be less of a problem if she was willing to initiate it when she wants it - I could accept that I’m not going to get it quite as often as I’d ideally like (like most guys?) and wait for her to come on to me.

Early on, I told her what a turn on it would be for her to initiate things. I’ve mentioned it a few times since. She has said she’ll try but in two years, the best I’ve got is her asking for a massage - which usually but not always leads to sex.

So I end up feeling like I’m bothering her for sex. Which makes me feel bad both because I don’t want to hassle her and because it feels like she either wants to make me work very hard for it or that she does it out of duty.

Every morning when she leaves for work, she says nice things about me, and kisses me passionately/lovingly. This is 100% genuine. She is loving, caring, tactile, active etc, except quite often, when I come on to her in bed.

Of course we had our honeymoon period. A good and long one. I first noticed this problem about 9 months ago and put it down to her being overworked at the time. Unfortunately, not much changed when she left the job and took on a part time job.

I’ve tried lying back and waiting for her to come to me. Unfortunately, I don’t feel strong willed enough to wait several weeks. After one week, it would feel contrived and bloody minded to pretend I didn’t want it, when I knew that she probably did but only if I started it. It feels deceptive or conniving to try to starve her into intitiating things.

Of course, I’ve also tried talking but she says it’s not in her nature to talk about sex or to start it. Having had the discussion several times (I want to talk about it, she doesn’t), I’m loathed to “hassle” her. But there is clearly a problem, and other than addressing it head on, I don’t know how to deal with it.

It was our second anniversary recently. Without taking her for granted, I thought that would be one night where one thing would naturally lead to another. She didn’t seem too bothered by the whole anniversary thing and though we got there in the end (in pretty good form, eventually), I felt like she would just as happily have gone to sleep.

Sometimes, if she pushes me away too much or at the wrong time, I look a little upset. I may be a little oversensitve in general but it bothers me that she never experiences what it’s like to be repetitively spurned.

I’m scared (and I think she is too), that this problem and the lack (or failure) of communication about it will ruin an otherwise great relationship. So, any advice either about cultural considerations (I am aware of these) or general male/female issues, much appreciated.

Just wait until if/when you get married. Then you’ll be the one whose tired all the time. Women here seem to undergoe a major transformation after marriage. When she feels more secure in the relationship, things will likely change.

Before marriage they are blushing with embarassment after a dirty joke you told. After marriage you’re the one blushing with embarassment after a dirty joke they told.

I’m not so sure I’d be racing down the aisle after flagging sexual compatability concerns two years into the relationship. That’s one tough cure you’re advocating there Elegua.

HG

Fruitloop you better not show up at the Feb 21st happy hour. Who knows what advice you’ll get at that one. :rainbow:

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]I’m not so sure I’d be racing down the aisle after flagging sexual compatability concerns two years into the relationship. That’s one tough cure you’re advocating there Elegua.

HG[/quote]

Words of wisdom here.

I wasn’t planning marriage anytime soon (though I do see it as the logical endgame if/when we’re ready), but this may be part of the problem.

I don’t intend being an English teacher forever and I don’t intend living in Taiwan forever. But I don’t have much of an alternative plan at this stage - leaving her feeling uncertain and insecure about the future. An uncertain future (career) doesn’t scare me, but I understand why it scares her.

I wouldn’t be rushing down the aisle with this problem hanging over us. That’s why I want to sort it out. However the security issue is at least pertinent. Marriage is not the only way to make her feel secure - I think I need to work on alternatives in the short term.

So…she’s sleeping. Let the Games Begin!

OK Sorry - didn’t mean to suggest that you HAD to marry the girl as a solution. Just suggesting a lack of security as a possible cause and that I’ve noticed that there is a huge change about sex and openess about sex once people get married here.

Sense of security does seem to be a big turn on, or at least a pre-requisite for getting it on, for many women, unfortunately.

Seems you are looking around for possible causes, that’s all good. I’m sure in the process you’ve assessed your come on technique (?) and it’s not the infamous Aussie foreplay line of “you awake luv?”

I think the female turn ons thread covered a lot of the stuff you can do from the time you wake up in the morning with a shag at the end of the day in mind. Ultimately though, an ability to talk is essential.

Failing this of course, you could always get a blow up doll and park it in the bed. When you feel the need, jump that. When it’s punctured, and I’m sure it will be, constantly walk around the house, watch TV, do the dishes etc, naked and masturbating. Make sure you act like it’s the most normal thing in the world. Showing her your strong independant streak will have the added benefit of easing her inhibitions.

HG

Few couples have matched sex drives.

What are the reasons for low sex drive?

Stress - reduces the production of testosterone needed for sex drive.

Pregnancy - can increase or decrease sex drive. Hormone levels, nausea, tiredness, sore breasts and changes in body image can all decrease libido.

Parenting - lack of time and energy, interruptions by children, and hormonal levels after childbirth can all decrease sex drive.

Oral Contraceptive Pill - can affect horrnonal levels and decrease the effect of testosterone thereby lowering sex drive.

Medications - for blood pressure, anitdepressants, tranquillisers, diuretics, steroids and anti-ulcer drugs can decrease the sex drive.

Chronic illness and life threatening conditions can cause worry, depression, anxiety and fear and thus decrease libido.

Relationships - can be unhappy, abusive and decrease sexual attraction and sex drive. Other inhibitors of sex drive related to relationships are poor communication, lack of intimacy, insecurity (lack of commitment), unresolved jealousy, lack of respect, power struggles and inequality, and sexual problems. Most commonly there can be lack of affection, companionship, fun and romance - or just plain BOREDOM !!

What can you do about low sex drive ??

Some people seek creams, lotions and pills to increase the blood flow to the genitals and physically increase libido. These however, are not solutions for a poor relationship or communication difficulties.

Communicating about possible reasons for low libido is a great first step. Is it really a problem in the relationship? It may not be an issue for you or your partner.

Communicate about any problem or cause that you both identify.

Self help books abound on these topics. Remember that it needs both partners to be committed to making changes suggested by the books.

Relationship counselling may help. Talking about current relationship problems with a professional counsellor may help you both to identify expectations of the relationship and find a solution.

Get fit and active - often increasing energy and vitality helps to wake up your sex drive and allows you both to enjoy sex again.

Relieve the boredom - do something different.

Hope this helps!!!

But before watching TV or doing the dishes, call Broonale on the bedroom speaker phone and make a big show of asking him just the right way of repairing an inflatable. He knows all about it. Her two emotions that could result from this-pity or jealousy-both have potential to work in your favour. :laughing:

probably you are not taking her shopping enough. try that if you want her to be ready for action.

or, find a non-Taiwanese woman, some of whom seem to have sex drives. Local girls seem to have almost none, just check out where Taiwan ranks in those Durex surveys they do every year. Actually most North Asians rank low for sex drives. Seems they just dont want none.

Jonnygard70, my feeling from skimming the thread was that the OP wanted opinions or advice on improving his relationship with his current girlfriend. I’m not sure that your suggestion that he should look for sex elsewhere is immediately on topic.

Also (and I speak only from personal experience, YMMD!) I have found there are Taiwanese women out there who (a) don’t like shopping; (b) have [high] sex drives; and © do want some. Of course your findings are based on a survey, and thus have greater statistical validity than my purely impressionistic results.

From my experience problems caused by sexual incompatibility rather grow as the relationship progresses, so if a healthy sex life is very important to you, you might want to reconsider this relationship. Otherwise you will enter the world of celibacy and mercy sex.

Yeah, I have to agree with this here. And add, that I do know folks who marry, but cheat. They like the relationship just fine, but the sex - they get their needs filled elsewhere. No, I’m not advocating this - just commenting that I have seen a lot of folks in this situation.

Bodo

Here’s a bigger dilemma: What if the relationship is near perfect, BUT you’re not getting any at all? She wants to save herself for marriage, but that could take years should you decide she’s the one (apart from the not getting any).
Is this an option? :wanker:
Or should you rather just make a run for it?

Of course this has nothing to do with me. I’m just asking for this guy I know… :slight_smile:

…Dude…you never mentioned is she was getting her “cookies”…?
Get my meaning?

Nothing will shut a woman down faster than a bloke who thinks he’s ALL that in the sack.

If she ain’t screaming…and you know what I mean…pretty certain it’s cuz she ain’t getting the full Effect of the Big O.

She might be avoiding sex because she doesn’t get regular orgasms, is that what you’re trying to say? Nah.

[quote=“jonnygard70”]probably you are not taking her shopping enough. try that if you want her to be ready for action.

or, find a non-Taiwanese woman, some of whom seem to have sex drives.[/quote]I think that quite a few of the foriegn women here have HIGH sex drives as it’s eaiser to find air con in hell than to find some hmm here.

[quote] Local girls seem to have almost none, just check out where Taiwan ranks in those Durex surveys they do every year. Actually most North Asians rank low for sex drives. Seems they just dont want none.[/quote] Not that they dont’ want any, but perhaps that forplay here is about in and out, bust that nut(excuse me if that’s too blunt :blush: ) and were squared. :noway:

[quote=“SoulDragoN”]…Dude…you never mentioned is she was getting her “cookies”…?
Get my meaning?[/quote]

No. Not really.

[quote]Nothing will shut a woman down faster than a bloke who thinks he’s ALL that in the sack.

If she ain’t screaming…and you know what I mean…pretty certain it’s cuz she ain’t getting the full Effect of the Big O.[/quote]

If you’re refering to my post…

She’s never had any. She’s a virgin and I know. Why I know would be giving up intimate information, which I’m not willing to do. So either use your imagination or just take my word for it.